Can you imagine if you incorporate chat-speak into how you officially correspond to people? You would certainly be able to type a whole lot faster. Using acronyms like ROFL, LMAO, LOL, or BRB reduces the number of characters you need to type. The problem is, not everybody understands chatspeak, which is probably why it isn’t a widely used form of correspondence. However, there is a way to dramatically increase your typing speed by somewhat using the same idea as chatspeak, and that’s by using Mac Text Replacement feature. If you aren’t a fast typist, this is how you can give an illusion of speed typing using a Mac.
If you aren’t familiar with the popular chat acronyms, ROFL meaning Rolling on the Floor Laughing and LMAO Laughing My Ass Off, typing the acronym is a whole lot faster than typing the spelled out versions. In Mac’s text replacement, you’ll be able to create acronyms for phrases you frequently use. When you type in the acronym, macOS will automatically replace it with the fully types words.
If you’re looking for ways to work around your typing speed dramatically, read on and learn how to setup and manage the Text Replacement feature on your Mac.
Setting Up Text Replacement
Mac’s Text Replacement feature is really helpful. Whether you’re a student who has tons of essays and book reviews to write or a professional who needs to finish multiple reports in a day. By following the simple steps below, you can set up Text Replacement in no time.
- Open System Preferences on your Mac. System Preferences can be found in the Apple Menu.
- In the System Preferences screen, select Keyboard.
- In the Keyboard screen, you’ll see the Text tab on the upper portion of the window. In the Text tab window, you’ll find two columns, the Replace and With Text under the Replace column are automatically replaced with the corresponding text in the With column.
- Add words to be replaced. If you click on the + button, a new row will be added on top of the current list. Simply enter the word or words you want to replace in the Replace You’ll then need to enter the words you want the program to replace it in the With column.
- Make sure correct spelling is on by checking the Correct Spelling Automatically.
By setting up Mac text replacement, you’ll only need to type in a few characters and the system will automatically replace it with the exact words or phrases you want it to, saving you a lot of time especially if you have to type in the same words or phrases repeatedly. Typing fast is possible even if you’re not a speed typist. Just remember though, for the Text Replacement feature to work seamlessly, you’ll need to ensure that your Mac is in perfect working condition at all times. To do this, simply use 3rd party cleaning tool to analyze and fix problems within your Mac before they reduce your device’s speed and functionality.