Electronic devices have become an integral part of our lives. The Macs, iPhones, iPads, and even the iPods don’t just provide a means of entertainment. Many of us also use these devices to save important files. They may even store sensitive information such as bank records and government-related information. As such, losing any one of these devices can create quite an impact in our daily lives.
Fortunately, losing a device by misplacing it or getting your device stolen doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s lost forever. With the right technology, you’ll be able to locate your lost device and hopefully recover not only the unit but also all the important information that it contains.
Apple’s Find My iPhone and Find My Mac
If you’ve ever used the search phrase find my Apple device or find my Macbook on Google, you’ve probably received the search results pointing you to Apple’s Find My iPhone and Find My Mac. These are the primary applications that you can use to track the location of your iPhone, iPod, iPad, or Mac. However, these applications need to be enabled on your device for them to work. Follow these steps to enable the applications on your device:
- Open Settings on your device.
- Click on your Apple ID (the circle on top with your name).
- Followed by clicking the iCloud button.
- And finally, click the Find My iPhone or Find My Mac button to enable it.
How to Use Find My iPhone or Find My Mac
Once you’ve enabled the app on your device, you can use any computer connected to the internet to locate the device should you lose it. Follow these steps to locate your device.
- Use any computer or device with a browser.
- Type in iCloud.com on the browser to open it.
- Enter your account details to log in.
- Click on Find My iPhone or Find My Mac.
- The application will ask you to enter your Apple ID and password.
- Click on All Devices at the top of the screen.
- Scroll down to the device that you wish to track.
- The location of the device will be shown on the map.
- Choose a mode to find the device faster.
Available modes are:
- Erase – Use this option if you believe you won’t be able to retrieve your device. This option deletes all the information on the device.
- Play sound – If your device is missing from the home, having it play a sound will help you locate the device faster.
- Lost mode – If the device is lost, choosing this mode will have the device display a number on the screen that someone can call to report the lost device.
Apple’s Find My iPhone and Find My Mac apps will greatly increase the chances of recovering your device in the event that you lose it. Additionally, if you believe that you’ll not be able to recover the device, you can protect your important information by deleting your device’s content. To ensure that your device is in working order so that the application will work when you need it, it would be a good idea to run Tweakbit MacRepair to find any problems and fix them before they wreak havoc on your device.