In general, Apple’s products are amazing, but they do have some issues now and then such as the error code 102 on Macs.
What is Error 102 on Macs?
An error 102 on a Mac is commonly experienced when trying to update applications. It may also be caused by problems with Preference files, Kernel Panic issues, installed applications, or a full usage of start-up disk.
Here are some of the symptoms of error code 102:
- Corruption or change in the file structure without warning
- Slow and sluggish performance of a Mac
- Unexpected system crashes
- Annoying error messages such as “unable to find .dmg file”, “file not found” and “access denied”
How to Fix the Mac Error Code 102?
How do you fix the Mac error code 102? Fixing the Mac error code 102 is not easy because of the many potential causes. That is why as a first step, you need to download a Mac repair tool such as Outbyte MacRepair.
How will this help, you ask? Well, a repair tool will begin by scanning your system for types of junk files. These include cache files from browsers and apps, broken downloads, and unneeded log files. This clean especially broken downloads and updates cleanups might help prevent the error code 102 from appearing on your Mac.
The Mac repair tool will also identify and delete unneeded apps. These apps may be causing conflict within your system something that might lead to the error code 102 being experienced.
Are there any other ways of troubleshooting the error code 102 on Macs that don’t have a Mac repair tool? Sure, there are a few other ways of resolving the same issue. Let us look at a few of them:
1. Uninstall the Program That Is Causing the Error
Every computer program requires certain things to function effectively, and if the host environment is not up to the task, then it might cause problems.
Thus, if you started experiencing the error code 102 after installing a program on your Mac, the best option might be to remove it altogether. This is how to uninstall apps on a Mac:
- Click on the Finder icon and look for the application that you need to uninstall.
- If the app you want to uninstall is in a folder, check for an Uninstaller. Double-click on the Uninstaller, and follow the on-screen
- In case the app is not in a folder, or doesn’t come with an Uninstaller, drag it from the Applications folder to the
2. Clean Associated Preference Files
macOS uses preference files to tell applications how they should work on a device. If the preference files are corrupted, the error code 102 may appear.
One scenario that causes preference files to be corrupted or overloaded is by uninstalling programs through the Trash. This method does not clean the system well and it has the unintended consequence of making useless files to accumulate. Here are the steps you can take to remove the preference files after removing an app:
- Navigate to Finder > Go > Go to Folder.
- Type “/Library/” in the search box, and press the Return key.
- Open the Preferences folder and find the preference files that are associated with the app that you have just removed. Drag them to Trash.
3. Clean Start-up
Whenever your Mac reboots or starts, a dozen or so applications will also launch automatically. This is all good if the particular applications are of use to you, but if they are not, they are just wasting precious computing resources. At the same time, if any of the programs that is supposed to launch automatically is problematic, it may cause the error 102.
If this is the case, you can opt to remove the problematic app from the list of start-up items. Here is how to disable a start-up item on a Mac:
- Click on the Apple icon and navigate to System Preferences on the sub-menu.
- On the Users & Groups pane, you will find a list of the apps that launch automatically every time you launch your Mac.
- Select the item that you want to remove. Click the minus sign button to remove it.
4. Clean Junk Files
There is no way of preventing junk files from accumulating on your computer because every time you use it, some ‘history’ of the usage is preserved. The accumulation of these files can cause all manner of problems on your computer, including the error code 102. To clear cache on a Mac, take the following steps:
- Navigate to Finder > Go to Folder.
- Type in ~/Library/Caches and hit enter.
- Go into each of the folders and clean out all the cache.
Cleaning the cache this way will provide you with an additional hard drive space. It will also remove problematic preferences files that may be responsible for the error 102 on your Mac.
5. Check for Hardware Damage
Sometimes, your Mac may be behaving the way it is because of a hardware problem. Did it fall? Is the RAM okay? Are the hard drives damaged? These are some of the questions that you should be asking yourself, should all else fail.
You can get some answers to these questions by performing a hardware diagnostics test. Here is how to conduct one:
- Disconnect all external devices except the keyboard, mouse, the AC cable, and Ethernet cable. If you don’t disconnect all other devices, the Apple Hardware Test might not help you.
- Place your Mac on a hard, flat and stable surface.
- Shut down your Mac.
- Turn your Mac on and immediately press and hold the D key on your keyboard. Keep holding this key until you see the Apple Hardware Test icon.
- Select your preferred language and click the right arrow.
- To begin the test, press the letter T on your keyboard or Return. You can also select “Perform extended testing” before commencing the test. This will lead to a more thorough test.
- When the test is completed, you will see the test results in the lower right section of the window.
- To quit the Apple Hardware Test, simply restart your computer or shut it down.
6. Visit a Mac Clinic
If all the above steps fail to alleviate the issues that you are experiencing, we suggest that you visit a Mac clinic. Apple has an extensive and well-managed customer care system. The folks there will be glad to have you and will surely help resolve the issue with your Mac, especially if it is hardware related.
If you have anything to add, or need some clarification, please feel free to do so in the comment section below.