If the Searchitnow.info has become the start page or a new tab on your browser – or if you keep getting redirected to a related Searchitnow.info page – then it might be time to get alarmed. If you yourself didn’t add this site to your browser settings, then there’s a good chance you’ve got a case of browser hijacking on your Mac.
Searchitnow.info is a fake search engine. Falsely claiming to generate enhanced results and a better browsing experience, it changes the new tab address, homepage, as well as search engine of Safari, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox on the affected computer.
It may have taken some break, but the Searchitnow.info is back with a vengeance, using bogus Flash Player updates to infiltrate its target system. No need to panic right now, though, because this article will serve as your quick guide on how to remove Searchitnow.info efficiently and completely.
What Is Searchitnow.info?
The searchitnow.info virus assigns goto-searchitnow.global.ssl.fastly.net, which redirects users to Searchitnow.info, as the new tab URL, default search engine, as well as homepage options. It comes across as legitimate given that its appearance isn’t a far cry from those of known search engines such as Google, Yahoo, and Bing.
Its developers spread it through the use of rogue downloaders or installers, which then alter browser options without the user’s consent. It also continues to monitor browsing activity via amassing sensitive data and information.
No thanks to so-called “helper objects” or third-party apps and browser plugins, users affected by Searchitnow.info are also unable to revert browser settings. These tools reassign browser settings with every attempt to modify them. This means that as long as “helper objects” stay installed on your Mac, it’s next to impossible to return your browser to its previous state; you have no choice but to visit the site when you open a new tab or search through the URL bar.
Apart from the poor-quality browsing experience that users suffer through, Searchitnow.info also records information based on browsing activity, including personal details shared between developers and third-party entities. This is a potential breeding ground for cybercrimes and misuse of private data in the name of revenue generation.
If you’re wondering how Searchitnow.info got installed on your Mac, then look no further than deceptive download or installation setups, something commonly known as “bundling.” Many users, out of their urgency during download/installation processes, skip steps and with unwittingly grant their consent to the modification of browser settings and compromise their data in the process.
In a nutshell, the Searchitnow.info virus exists for its developers and partners to rake in revenue whenever they litter the search results with sponsored links, redirect the user to shady sites, and track personal information. Here’s the bad news: this fake search engine and browser hijacker typically targets Mac users. Windows users, however, are not 100 percent spared.
How to Uninstall Searchitnow.info
Some informational articles you will find on the web won’t even call Searchitnow.info harmful or malicious, but instead a browser data collector that puts the user’s privacy at risk. But we’re not taking any chances here – we’re erring on the side of caution to help you avoid these pesky browser hijackers and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs).
Here are the first steps you can take to get rid of this nuisance: uninstall Searchitnow.info from your Mac. Follow these steps:
- If you are using macOS X, click the Go button located at the top left of the screen.
- Choose Applications.
- Once you’re in the Applications folders, look for Searchitnow.info or other suspicious programs on it. Right-click on every entry and then choose Move to Trash.
Now, you should learn how to remove Searchitnow.info from Safari as well. Here are the steps:
- To remove the associated extensions, open Safari > Preferences.
- Choose Extensions and look for Searchitnow.info along with other suspicious entries. Click on Uninstall to remove each one of them.
- To change your homepage, go to Safari > Preferences > General.
- On the homepage field, remove the unwanted Searchitnow.info link and enter the one you want used for your searches.
- To reset the browser, click Safari > Reset Safari.
- On the detailed dialog window with reset options, you’ll likely find that all options are checked. You can, however specify the ones you seek to reset.
- Click Reset to complete the removal process.
Removing Searchitnow.info from your system might seem easy and simple to do, but note that it may reinstall itself several times if you’re unable to delete its core files. This makes it important to scan for malicious programs and use a powerful anti-malware program to prevent further and bigger issues.
Just as crucial is keeping your Mac optimized for top performance. Using a reliable Mac repair tool, regularly scan your machine for all types of junk, unneeded apps, and other space hogs that are likely getting in the way of its stability and smooth operation.
Protect Your Mac from Searchitnow.info and PUPs
Do this through the following tips and advice:
- Keep Your OS, Browsers, and Security Tools Up to Date. Apple regularly releases patches and updates to remove different vulnerabilities and reduce the potential of malware penetration.
- Use Reputable Anti-Malware Software and several on-demand scanners that can intelligently detect and remove PUPs.
- Download and Use a Trustworthy Extension that can block third-party ads on websites.
- Avoid Downloading Software from Unverified Sites, which can easily populate your system with a trojan or PUP.
- Take Your Time When Installing Freeware and Other Apps. Select Custom or Advanced installation mode, and look for the check box that solicits your permission to install third-party apps. Uncheck them if you must. In addition, read license agreements and cancel the installation altogether if it’s not possible to prevent the installation of dubious programs and apps.
Here are other tips to keep your Mac protected from virus and malware infection.
Searchitnow.info is a persistent fake search engine and browser hijacker that modifies the new tab, homepage, and search engine of the Safari or another browser on your Mac. It is promoted using deceptive download and installation setups, and it can be fairly difficult to eliminate it entirely if its core files stay in your system.
Follow the steps we outlined above to remove it from your Safari browser and Mac. Don’t forget to use a powerful anti-malware and Mac optimizer for a better, safer, and cleaner browsing experience.
What’s your own experience with the Searchitnow.info virus? Let us know in the comments!