Emails help keep businesses afloat. With these platforms, business owners can communicate with their clients. Employees can also make contact with their colleagues. But did you know that aside from businesses, ordinary individuals can take advantage of emails? Students can use it in their school work. Families can also use it to keep distant relatives in the loop about new happenings.
As you can see, emails play an integral role in our daily lives. It’s no surprise why many email platforms are popping up today. Among the few popular email platforms today is Yahoo! Mail.
What Is Yahoo! Mail?
An email service launched by the American company, Yahoo!, Yahoo! Mail allows users to manage and access their mailboxes using the internet. Back then, it can only be accessed via a web interface. But now, it has an app version that has been downloaded and used by more than 5 million users.
Although the app version is constantly receiving updates from Yahoo!, it’s still far from flawless. In fact, some users are complaining that they’re getting an error while setting it up in a Windows Mail app. According to them, when they are setting up Yahoo! Mail, they’re getting the error code 0x8019019a.
Pro Tip: Scan your PC for performance issues, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats
that can cause system issues or slow performance.
What Is Error Code 0x8019019a?
The error code 0x8019019a appears when a user fails to add a Yahoo! account to the Mail app because of a corrupt or outdated Yahoo! Mail app. It may also surface when a user is not using a Yahoo! Mail app, like Windows Mail, when trying to log in to a Yahoo! Account.
Aside from an outdated app? Here are some possible triggers:
- A corrupt installation of the Mail app
- An issue in your system’s communication modules
- Malware entities that have damaged important system files
The error code is often accompanied by a message that states, “Something went wrong, we’re sorry but we weren’t able to do that.”
How to Fix Error Code 0x8019019a When Setting Up Yahoo Mail in Windows Mail App
If you are faced with this problem, fret not. In this section, we have outlined several hacks that can help resolve the error code 0x8019019a when setting up a Yahoo! Mail account in a Windows Mail app.
Before we proceed with possible solutions to the error, you must first restart your system. This should be done to rule out any temporary system glitch. Also, try to access your email using a web interface as well to ensure that it’s not Yahoo! that’s having problems.
After restarting your computer and accessing your Yahoo! email via a web interface, and the error code still appears, it’s time to move forward and try the solutions below.
Solution #1: Install the latest Windows updates
Microsoft rolls out Windows updates every now and then to fix and patch previously reported issues and introduce new features on Microsoft products. So, if you are unable to add your Yahoo! account to the Mail app, it is likely that your system is outdated.
To install the latest Windows updates, follow these steps:
- Click the Start button.
- Go to Settings and select Update and Security.
- Hit the Windows Update button and select Check for Updates.
The time it takes to download updates generally depends on the speed of your internet connection and the update size. So, when installing a Windows Update, make sure that your device is connected to a stable internet to download faster.
After downloading the latest Windows update, proceed by updating the Mail app. Here’s how:
- Press the Windows key.
- Into the search field, input Mail. Right-click on the top-most result. Select Share to launch the Microsoft Store.
- Locate the Mail app and check if an update is available. If yes, then update it and reboot your computer.
- Once Windows has rebooted, check if you can now log in to your Yahoo! account via the Mail app.
Solution #2: Try to re-add your Yahoo! account to the Mail app
Sometimes, the issue you are facing is only a result of a temporary problem or glitch in the system’s communication modules. This means it could be resolved once you remove and then re-add your account to the app.
For a detailed guide on what to do, follow these steps:
- Open the Mail app and click Accounts.
- Select your Yahoo! account and click the Delete Account button.
- Confirm the deletion by hitting the Delete button.
- Exit the Mail app. At this point, your PC will automatically reboot.
- After your device has rebooted, add your Yahoo! account to the Mail app. Check if the problem is already fixed.
- If the problem persists, repeat the steps above. However, this time, make sure to untick the Stay Signed In option.
Solution #3: Make sure the settings of your Mail app is set to their defaults
There are instances when you fail to add your Yahoo! account to the Mail app because of problems in the installation of the Mail app. In this case, resetting the settings of the app can do the trick. Take note, though, that doing this will delete all your saved email passwords.
To reset the settings of the Mail app to their defaults, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows button and input Mail.
- Right-click on Mail and select App Settings.
- Hit the Terminate button and click Reset.
- Finally, relaunch the Mail app and check if you can successfully add your Yahoo! account.
Solution #4: Use an app password
For security purposes, Yahoo! has introduced a number of security features to its accounts. One includes the use of app-specific passwords. Now, if your Yahoo! mail username or password does not work when trying to sign in using the Mail app, try using an app-specific password. This hack has worked for some affected users, so it’s definitely worth trying.
To generate and use an app-specific password for your Yahoo! account, follow these steps:
- Make sure that your Yahoo! account is removed from the Mail app. You can refer to solution number two for instructions.
- Launch a web browser to navigate to Yahoo! Mail’s Account Info page.
- Click the Generate App Password link and expand the dropdown menu under Select Your App.
- Choose Other App and hit the Generate button.
- Copy the newly generated password and open the Mail app.
- Click Account and choose Add Account.
- Select Yahoo and input your Yahoo! Mail credentials. In the password field, enter the password you have just generated.
- Check if you can now log in to your Yahoo! Mail account using the Mail app.
Solution #5: Run a malware scan
Viruses and malware entities may also trigger the error code 0x8019019a to surface. So, running a malware scan may hopefully fix the problem.
To run a malware scan, you can use Windows Defender. Windows Defender is a utility that allows you to scan specific folders and files and ensure they’re safe. Once it is enabled, you will be notified once any threats are found.
To scan for specific folders and files using Windows Defender, right-click on the folder or file and select Scan with Microsoft Defender. Once the scan is complete, a Scan Options page will appear letting you know the scan results.
It is best to keep Windows Defender up and running for real-time protection. To do so, go to Start and select Settings. And then, choose Update and Security. Navigate to Windows Security and click Virus and Threat Protection. Choose Manage Settings and toggle on the switch next to the Real-time protection option.
For better results, you may also run another scan using a third-party antivirus suite. With such a tool, you can ensure that no new strains of viruses and malware can infect your system.
Simply said, the error code 0x8019019a shows when you try to log in to your Yahoo! mail account using the Windows Mail app. It could be triggered by an outdated Windows system or a malware entity. It may also appear when a user tries to set up a Yahoo! account using the Mail app for the first time.
Just like any error codes, it can be resolved. The above solutions can help you fix the error code 0x8019019a, but if the problem persists, then we suggest using Yahoo! Mail’s web version. If all else fails, reset your PC and check if it resolves the issue. But take note that this should only be your last resort as this solution may require technical knowledge.
Drop your thoughts in the comments and let us know what solution worked for your case!