Microsoft Office plays an integral role in our computing lifestyle. With the recent pandemic forcing individuals to complete tasks from the comfort of their homes, Microsoft’s ecosystem has gained popularity.
Microsoft Office has an impressive product list available for purchase or subscription. These are products on demand such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive, etc. All of these have helped many individuals promote as well as increase productivity.
Despite the popularity of Microsoft products, users still experience glitches and errors from time to time. It can get more confusing if you’re a newbie to the Microsoft world and face error codes and glitches during installation or update of MS Office.
What Is the Microsoft Error Code 0x426-0x0?
As of recent, some users have raised concerns about the troubling Error Code 0x426-0x0 which hinders them from completing the installation of Microsoft Office or executing updates. This issue occurs when installing Office apps for the first time or during an update due to several reasons. Some of the culprits include poor network connection, strict third-party antivirus security tools, system files errors and corruption, as well as conflicting firewall rules.
Fortunately, this issue has a couple of proven solutions, and we’re just about to lay them out for you. Before we do that, there are certain things that we need to highlight. Although such problems rarely occur, they do so in computers that are not clean and have a lot of stability issues. So, if you occasionally face such problems in your system, it’s best to install a reliable PC repair software tool. Doing so will clean, speed up, as well as, get rid of stability issues.
Causes of the Microsoft Error Code 0x426-0x0
The Microsoft Error Code 0x426-0x0 occurs due to various causes. When the user tries to install or update Microsoft Office app, they end up with this error code, hence hindering action completion. Causes to this problem vary from strict antivirus to corrupt system files, damaged registry, or corrupt MS Office application.
Microsoft Error Code 0x426-0x0 Fix
Since we have various culprits as the cause of this issue, we have compiled a couple of fixes which you can apply depending on the type of the issue. If you’re not sure of the cause of your problem, it is best to apply these fixes chronologically.
Fix #1: Disable or Uninstall Antivirus
A strict third-party antivirus software suite can lead to the Error Code 0x426-0x0. The security software can block the installation or communication with the outer servers for updates as a protective measure. These rules are implemented in the core settings of the security tool.
So, the best approach to determine if your third-party security tool is the culprit is to temporarily disable the program. Once you’ve done that, you can attempt to install or update MS Office app and see if the issue occurs. If it doesn’t, you must uninstall your security suite and consider changing to a trusted anti-malware utility.
Fix #2: Perform an SFC Scan
The Error Code 0x426-0x0 can happen due to inconsistencies within the system file. If that is the case, executing the SFC scan will help solve the issue. The System File Checker replaces or repairs corrupt system file copies utilizing cached copies stored in the directory. Here is how to launch the SFC scan:
- Access elevated Command Prompt by simultaneously pressing Windows Logo + R keys to launch the Run dialog.
- In the text field, type “cmd” (no quotes), followed by Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys simultaneously. If prompted by the User Account Center (UAC), click on the Yes button to give admin privileges.
- Now, inside the elevated Command Prompt, insert the line below and hit Enter.
- Wait for the process to complete. Close the Command Prompt window and reboot the system.
- In the next startup, try to install or update MS Office to see if the error has been fixed.
Fix #3: Repair the Registry
This issue can also occur if there are errors in the registry key values. If a single key-value is corrupt or wrongly modified, it can lead to the occurrence of the Error Code 0x426-0x0. So, to fix the issue if that’s the scenario, you must repair and reconstruct the string values. We advise backing up the registry before initiating the repair process since you will be dealing with a delicate component of the system.
To repair the registry, follow the instructions below:
- Access the Registry Editor by launching the Run dialog as indicated in Fix #2, Step 1.
- In the text field, type “regedit” (no quotes) and hit Enter. Click Yes when prompted by UAC.
- Now, delete the existing registry that is related to MS Office. For your guidance, make sure you delete the keys provided below:
- Once done, change the values of DWORD to 1.
Restart the system and check if the error has been fixed by repeating the action that triggered it.
Fix #4: Reinstall the MS Office App
Removing Office suite and reinstalling it can help if the issue is caused by a broken installation procedure. This will help get the fresh copy of the app, automatically fixing the issue of using a broken application. To do so, here is how:
- Access Apps and Features window by right-clicking on the Start menu and selecting Apps and Features from the options list.
- Now, navigate to Microsoft Office in the list of installed programs and features.
- Once you’ve found it, click on it and then select Uninstall. Follow the prompts to complete the uninstallation procedure.
- Once done, restart the system.
- In the next startup, access your Office account page and download MS Office suite.
- To avoid having a broken or corrupt Office suite app, do not turn off your system, disconnect from the internet, or manually restart it during the installation process.
Note that these fixes will only work if you have a legitimate copy of MS Office suite. This error can also occur if Microsoft picks that the copy you’re trying to install or update has been pirated. In such a scenario, it’s best to request a refund from the dealer and get a legitimate copy from a trusted vendor.