Microsoft Surface Pro was released alongside the Surface Pen, a handy tool that allowed owners of tablets to sketch, and draw on the screen without the need for third-party options. At the time of its release, Microsoft claimed that it was the “fastest in the world.” The latest generation of the Surface Pen is also more pressure sensitive with lower latency. It is, in other words, what most Surface Pro users dreamed of except that it is also affected by an unexpected bug.
Accuracy issues with the Surface Pro Pen are widespread, and as the following user reported, recalibrating the pen does nothing to resolve the issue.
An Example of a User Experience Involving an Intermittent Pen Inaccuracy with the Surface Pro
“I have a brand new pen/surface pro 2017. If my hand is not on the screen, the pen is perfectly accurate, even at an angle. About 50% of the time, if I begin a stroke with my hand already resting on the screen, there is a significant offset of the pen line to the actual tip position. This makes hand-writing nigh impossible. Calibrating is useless, since if I calibrate to correct the offset, then 50% of the time it is now offset in the other direction.”
Microsoft commented on the issue, noting that it was widespread. They also promised to resolve the malfunction as soon as possible.
What Causes Intermittent Pen Inaccuracies with the Surface Pro?
Per Microsoft, the reason that some users report that the Surface Pro Pen is inaccurate is because of an electrical issue. The company also suspects that a design flaw or a bug in the driver software is to blame. In particular, the Surface Pro Pen inaccuracies seem to register when the pen is tilted and has to correct for parallax. The parallax correction is, however, only affected if there is an electrical contact with the screen when inking. Simply said, placing your hands on the screen is what causes the kind of electrical interference that makes the Surface Pro Pen to act weird.
How to Fix the Accuracy Issues with Surface Pro Pen
Before proceeding to fix the Surface Pro Pen issues, we recommend that you first clean your device with a premium utility software, such as Outbyte PC Repair. The reason you would want to do this is that cleaning your computer makes it easier to troubleshoot issues. At the same time, the PC cleaner will make tweaks that will save on battery, while boosting the overall performance of your device.
Download the Latest Surface Pro Update
Affected Surface Pro users will be happy to know that unlike previous bugs and malfunctions, the accuracy issues with the Surface Pro Pen are easily solved with a software update. Here are some essential tips that will help make the update successful:
- Plug in your Surface Pro into a power source and make sure that it has a charge of 40% or more. Also, don’t unplug or turn off your device while the update is ongoing.
- Before making the update, attach your Surface Typing Cover or the Surface docking station, so that it can also get updated.
- Make sure that you have a stable internet connection before making the updates.
- In case you are using a broadband connection, turn off the Set as metered connection option.
To make the download, you will be redirected to the Download Center details page of your device. Depending on your device model, multiple download options may be available. The following tips will make it easier for you to navigate to the Download Center details page of your device.
- To know your Surface Pro model, type Surface into the search box, select the Surface app, and click Your Surface. You should see your model on the screen that appears.
- To find out the version of Windows that is installed on your Surface, go to Start > Settings > System > About, then look under Windows Specifications. Here you will see the operating system version and the OS build number.
- To update your device with the latest drivers and firmware from the Microsoft Download Center, select the files that match your Surface model and the Windows version.
- If you don’t find a .msi file that corresponds to your Surface Pro model or Windows version, download the .msi file that is closest to your build number.
If you rather not go through the trouble of manually updating your Surface Pro, then you can choose to install a utility software, such as Auslogics Driver Updater. This tool will make all the necessary Surface Pro updates for you and across your other Windows devices.
Users who have made the updates recommended by Microsoft have reported they have completely solved the accuracy issues with the Surface Pro Pen.
If you are experiencing any more Surface Pro issues, such as unresponsive screen, please let us know in the comment section below.