Your Mac is, by default, set to run as efficiently as possible. What this means is that it will try to preserve power whenever it can, especially if you are not plugged to a power source. So, once it detects that you are no longer using your computer, there is a chance that it will go to sleep.
Although this will save your battery life big time, it may often have a negative impact in some situations. For instance, you only went away for a quick toilet break. When you return, you cannot resume right away as your Mac is asleep. Even worse, you are waiting for a huge download to complete, and all of a sudden, your computer goes to sleep.
But the good news is there is something you can do to keep your Mac from going to sleep. Simply use Amphetamine. Here’s a quick Amphetamine for Mac review to give you a better idea of whether or not to use it.
About Amphetamine for macOS
Amphetamine is a software application designed for macOS. It is known for its powerful and keep-awake features. It comes with a multitude of options that you can tweak. So, if you are a beginner, you can use this application to prevent your Mac from sleeping for a certain period of time.
Another great thing about this app is that you can set it to implement triggers. So, instead of keeping your Mac from sleeping for a specific time frame, you can do so based on events. For example, you can set it to keep your Mac awake as long as there is an active app or if there is a Bluetooth device connected to it.
All these triggers can be customized. And you can even combine them together for a personalized experience.
How to Use Amphetamine on Mac?
So, how do you keep your Mac awake with Amphetamine?
First, you have to make sure that you have downloaded the app onto your machine. After that, the process is pretty straightforward. Simply launch Amphetamine and play around with the available options. You can choose to start a new session and keep your Mac awake indefinitely, for a few minutes, for a couple of hours, while an app is running, or until a specific time.
As for events, you can choose to create a trigger to keep your Mac awake automatically. These are your options:
- When you connect to an external display
- When your display is currently being mirrored
- When a USB or a Bluetooth device is connected
- When an app is actively running
- When a specific app is running and is of importance
- When your machine’s battery is charging and/or when its battery level is above a threshold
- When your machine’s power adapter is disconnected or connected
- When your Mac has a specific IP address
- When your Mac is connected to a specific Wi-Fi network
- When your Mac is connected to a Cisco AnyConnect VPN service
- When your Mac is connected to a particular DNS server
- When you are using headphones or another audio output
- When a certain drive or volume is mounted
- When your machine’s CPU is being used to a specific threshold
- When your Mac has been idle for a specific threshold
The Pros and Cons of Amphetamine
To help you better decide whether or not to download this application, here are the pros and cons of Amphetamine for Mac:
- Easy to use interface
- Easy to configure
- Comes with a simple on/off switch
- Saves battery life
- Free to download
- Some reported bugs when setting USB device triggers
Amphetamine sure feels like giving your Mac some caffeine pills. Once activated in a few clicks, it will definitely keep your system awake for how long you have set it. It’s a truly must-have application for every macOS device.
Want more amazing free to download macOS apps? Browse through our website today!