VLC Media Player is one of the most popular media players today. Not only is it free to use, but it also supports a number of file formats without the need to purchase or download any additional components.
You can use it to optimize audio and video for your preferred device. It can support DivC streaming and MPEG. Plus, it allows you to play videos while they’re downloading.
Now, let’s take a look at some of VLC’s pros and cons for us to know whether it’s really worth downloading or not.
VLC Media Player Pros and Cons
Here are the pros and cons of VLC Media Player:
If you are looking to download and use VLC, then you are in luck because it offers a multitude of advantages. These include:
- Its user interface is simple and straightforward.
- It has all the tools that you need.
- The functions and features are easy to use.
- You can use it to create or connect to a video stream.
- You can control VLC using keyboard shortcuts.
- Some settings can be adjusted according to your preferences.
- You don’t need any codec installation to read music or video files.
- It supports a wide range of file formats and can play files like BluRay, .mov, and .avi.
- It is compatible with OS X.
- It has an in-built equalizer that allows users to boost the sound without distorting the quality.
Below are some disadvantages of using VLC:
- To play files, you have to open them directly from their respective folders.
- You cannot use tags.
- It can be difficult to find songs in your library.
- You cannot customize the program’s interface.
Features of VLC Media Player
In case you didn’t know, VLC Media Player has a couple of handy features under the hood. All of them can be used every day. So, here’s how to use VLC Media Player, particularly its features:
Download Videos from YouTube
To download a YouTube video, do the following:
- Go to Media and select Open Network Stream.
- Put the URL of the YouTube video into the text field and hit the Play button.
- VLC will begin streaming the video.
- Now, go to Tools and select Codec Information.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the window to find the Location box.
- Copy the URL in the text field and paste it into your browser’s address bar.
- Your browser will not begin playing the video file. Should you want to save the video, right-click on your screen and choose Save Video As.
Convert Videos to Other File Formats
Of course, downloading the video is the first part. Next, you may want to convert it so that it plays on your preferred device. Thankfully, VLC Media Player allows you to do so. Just follow these steps:
- Go to the toolbar and select Media.
- Click Convert/Save.
- In the dialog box that pops up, click the Add button and select the media file that you want to convert.
- Go to the Convert/Save dropdown menu and select Convert.
- Click on the Profile section and choose the file format that you want to convert your file to.
- Hit Browse and choose a location to save the converted file.
- Click Start to begin the conversion process.
Audio Normalize for Ear Protection
The general audio settings for the VLC Media Player can be located under Preferences. If you go to it, you will find the Audio Normalization option that allows you to optimize the volume of any media by a certain range.
For a detailed guide on how to use this, follow these steps:
- Go to Tools and navigate to Preferences > Audio.
- Enable the Normalize Volume to option. The value you put in here will allow you to adjust the decibel levels of music, gunshots, explosions, and dialogs in the flicks you watch.
- Restart VLC.
VLC is indeed packed with lots of features. So, make the most of this fantastic player and explore its possibilities. But before you do so, make sure your device is optimized for the best audio and video experience. Get rid of any junk files that may play host to viruses using a PC repair tool for Windows and a Mac repair software for macOS. Better yet, install a trusted anti-malware software to ensure no malware entities affect your PC’s overall performance.
Do you think VLC Media Player is a great option? Let us know your thoughts in the comments.