Contrary to popular belief, macOS is not safe from malware anymore. Over the last few years, there have been several viruses that have infiltrated the Mac ecosystem. One of them is Mafntask. So, if you have had Mafntask running on your Mac, then it is necessary to learn how to uninstall it. But first, you must understand what it is. You are probably asking yourself: Is Mafntask a virus? And if it is, how do you remove it from your system? In this article, we will discuss more on its influence and how to remove Mafntask from Macs.
What is Mafntask on Mac?
Mafntask Mac virus is a new version of Maftask (without an n), and it is a suspicious Trojan infection that can replicate itself and conceal its presence under the deep files. It is the process name for a misleading application called Mac Auto Fixer. Developers of this bogus macOS optimization and antivirus utility use canny marketing techniques to infiltrate into computer systems.
So, this nasty computer infection can silently sneak into your Mac without your knowledge, and it works with all famous web browsers, including Safari, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera, among others. It is popular for its intrusive behavior in the browser. What it does is to hijack the settings of your Mac’s main browser and introduce changes without your permission.
This deceptive threat is developed by hijackers to make an illegal profit by displaying intrusive advertisements on compromised computers. It will bombard you with lots of annoying pop-up ads, offers, banners, and other similar advertisements. In short, the Mafntask Mac virus will degrade your web experience and can redirect your browser to malicious websites.
Pro Tip: Scan your Mac for performance issues, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats
that can cause system issues or slow performance.
The Mafntask Mac Virus
Short Description: Mafntask is a process on macOS that belongs to a bogus program called Mac Auto Fixer.
Danger Level: Relatively nasty. It can bring threats like Trojan and ransomware on your Mac. This deceptive computer threat can cause major problems.
Distribution: This adware is distributed through bundled freeware, spam emails, malicious websites, cracked software, porn or torrent sites, and file-sharing networks.
Common Symptoms: It displays annoying ads on your computer. Sometimes, it may redirect your browser to potentially malicious websites.
Harmful Impacts of Mafntask on Your Computer
Once it gets into your system, it will disable your antivirus software to avoid its detection. It can also inject malicious codes to the Registry Editor to function automatically on your system. Besides this, it can introduce other nasty malware and threats on your Mac. Here is a summary of the harmful impacts of this virus:
- It will compromise your entire computing system.
- It will negatively impact your system performance.
- Mafntask will create malicious registry entries, whose main goal is to damage critical file systems.
- It will modify crucial system settings.
- It will disable your most critical applications, including your antivirus program.
- Mafntask will help other threats to get into your Mac.
- In a worst-case scenario, it may steal your crucial data and use it for commercial gains.
How to Remove Mafntask?
In most cases, malware will try to hide in other programs, making it difficult to remove. Luckily, most Mafntask is not an aggressive program. Given that the program keeps itself confined to its own app container, deleting it is as simple as uninstalling the app. But in order to get rid of process Mafntask from your system, you must find and delete all data mounted by the Mac Auto Fixer program.
Follow our recommended solutions below to eliminate any traces of the virus. We have presented both manual and automatic removal approaches. For the best outcome, you can combine both options.
Before you start the removal process, you should take care of the following preparations:
- Create a backup of your important files, just in case the worst happens.
- Have this instruction guide with you, so as not to miss out on any step.
- Arm yourself with patience, especially if you are removing the virus manually.
Option 1: Remove Mafntask Manually
Step 1: Delete Mafntask and Related Files
Here is how the process goes:
- Press the Shift + Command + U keyboard shortcut to open Utilities. Alternatively, hit Go and select Utilities.
- Within the Utilities window, look for Activity Monitor and double-click on it.
- Now, look for all suspicious processes related to Mafntask and remove them.
- Click on Go again, and then select Applications. The shortcut to open Applications is Shift +A+ Command.
- Once the Applications window opens, look for suspicious apps. Your main target is apps with names identical or similar to Mafntask. Move them to Trash.
- Under Applications, choose Accounts, and then click on the Login Items option. It will show you a list of processes that start automatically when you log in to your system. Among these processes, identify any suspicious app related to Mafntask. To stop the app, just hit on the Minus (-) icon next to it.
- After that, complete the removal process by clearing any leftover files related to Mafntask. Follow the steps below to remove these files:
- Launch Finder, then type the name of the app you want to remove into the search bar.
- Just above the search bar, adjust the two drop-down menus to Are Included and System Files. This way, you can see all the files associated with the target app. But keep in mind that some apps may not be related to the problematic app.
- Once you have selected the relevant files, drive them to Trash.
Step 2: Remove Mafntask from Your Browsers
- Launch Safari.
- Hover your mouse cursor on the top of the window and hit on the Safari text. It will open a drop-down menu.
- Now, select Preferences > Extensions.
- Look for the extensions you want to remove and click Uninstall.
- Open Chrome and click on Menu to bring you options.
- Next, click on More tools > Extensions.
- Look for Mafntask, and then click Remove from Chrome.
- Confirm your selection to complete the process.
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Now, click on Menu > Add-ons > Extensions.
- Select the problematic extensions and remove them.
- Launch the Internet Explorer browser.
- Click on Tools > Manage add-ons.
- Select Mafntask and related add-ons and click Disable.
- Launch the Opera browser.
- Click Menu > Extensions.
- Choose Mafntask and click on the Remove from Opera button.
Option 2: Delete Mafntask Automatically
One side note left by a Reddit user shows that even if you remove Mafntask using the common app uninstall methods, elements of the virus will still exist, which could potentially harm your Mac. According to records from influential Mac users, Mafntask is a consistent process that could still find its way into your device if it just closed or thrown to the Trash.
So, a better way to get rid of this problematic adware is to use a reliable Mac repair tool. After trying the above steps to remove the Mafntask virus manually, use Outbyte Mac Repair to get rid of any leftovers. It will scan your entire Mac for Mafntask and related malware, including junk files. After that, the tool will remove the malware and restore the damaged sections of your computer.
While the program may not be considered to be destructive, its existence on your Mac can cause bothersome problems like unexpected web browser redirections, intrusive advertisements, hostile pop-ups, and changing of system files.
But now that you have gone through our guide, you should be able to get rid of Mafntask from your Mac. But if you still have questions regarding the Mafntask virus or related malware, let us know in the comments section below.