Many people have complained about the accelerometerST.exe error, especially after Windows released an update to the creator’s update version. This version has been found to have bugs that can corrupt various Windows files, including accelerometerST.exe.
AccelerometerST is an acronym for Accelerometer System Tray. The genuine AccelerometerST.exe file is an executable file and it is a software component of the HP 3D DriveGuard program made and distributed by Hewlett-Packard.
If you have experienced problems with accelerometerST.exe, this post will help you understand and remove them.
AccelerometerST.exe File Information
Select HP EliteBook and ProBook models have HP 3D DriveGuard as a peripheral hardware device to protect their hard drives from drops and shocks. The accelerometerSt.exe is the software program that runs the system tray process for the 3D DriveGuard. Here is the file information:
Pro Tip: Run a dedicated PC optimization tool to get rid of incorrect settings, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats that can cause system issues or slow performance.
- Developer: Hewlett Packard
- Programs: HP 3D DriveGuard (for select ProBook and EliteBook computers)
- Executable File/Process: AccelerometerST.exe
- Operating System: Windows (such as 10/8/7/XP)
- Folder Location: subfolder of “C:\Program Files (x86)” such as C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP 3D DriveGuard\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP 3D DriveGuard\.
- Known File Size(s): average file size is 1.95 Mb (2044723.2 Bytes in binary).
AccelerometerST.exe is not an essential Windows process and it can be removed if known to cause problems.
Is AccelerometerST.exe a Virus?
The genuine accelerometerST.exe is a file component of the HP 3D DriveGuard program for HP computers and laptops. This means it is not a virus.
However, the .exe extension on the accelerometerST.exe filename indicates that it is an executable file. Sometimes, executable files may harm your device. Additionally, malware writers may create malware files and name them as accelerometerST.exe to evade detection.
The accelerometerST.exe on your PC can be a trusted application or a malware (or trojan) file that you need to remove when already causing problems. To find out if an executable file is genuine or not, you can check the following:
- The file location: The accelerometerST.exe should be located in C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP 3D DriveGuard\hptileapp.exe. If located anywhere else, it should be treated as a virus.
- File size: The average file size of the accelerometerST.exe should be under 1.95MB, and anything more, especially in GB, should raise questions.
- The RAM and CPU usage: Should be less than 10%, otherwise, it is malware.
Is AccelerometerST.exe a Legitimate File?
The accelerometerST.exe is a legitimate file that helps protect hard drives of select HP computers (ProBook and EliteBook) from damage. However, if the accelerometerST.exe on your PC is causing problems, you need to check if it is a trusted application.
Should AccelerometerST.exe Be Removed?
The AccelerometerST.exe file is not a Windows core file but is digitally signed. Usually, the program is loaded during the Windows boot process. Users can uninstall it in the Control Panel or disable it if it’s creating problems.
If you remove a safe executable file without a valid reason, the performance of other associated programs that rely on that file will be affected.
How to Remove the AccelerometerST.exe?
Use these methods to fix or remove a prolematic accelerometerST.exe file:
- Run System File Checker (SFC)
Some applications, installations, or even malware entities that impersonate applications, may damage Windows system files. The SFC utility will examine your PC’s Windows files for errors and fix damaged files.
- Press Win + Q.
- Type cmd followed by Ctrl+Shift+Enter to run Command Prompt as Admin.
- Into the Command line, type sfc/scannow and press Enter.
Be patient as the system scan works to identify and fix errors. It should take a few minutes. It will then report whether it found and repaired corrupted files or if it was unable to repair them.
- Uninstall HP 3D DriveGuard
- Press Win+X to open the Windows Control Panel.
- Click on Programs and Features.
- On the list of apps and programs, locate HP 3D DriveGuard.
- Right-click on it and select Uninstall.
After uninstalling, restart your computer for the changes to take effect, then check whether the problem has been sorted. When Windows has reloaded, you can download and install the updated version of HP 3D DriveGuard from the manufacturer’s site.
- Clean your PC hard drive using Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr)
The error could occur because of a bug on a Windows 10 update, or a filled up hard drive. Try cleaning your hard drive using the Disk Cleanup tool to get rid of temporary files that are using space on Windows and causing the system to slow down.
- Press Win + R.
- Type cleanmgr and press Enter.
- Click Okay to open the Disk C to be cleaned up.
- Click Ok on the new Window to open System Files to Clean.
- On the list, check the boxes of the unnecessary files you no longer want on the PC.
- Click Okay > then click Delete file and let the system run.
Once done, restart your PC and check if the process has been sorted.
- Conduct a malware scan
Remember that accelerometerST.exe can also be a malware camouflaged as a program on your computer. Conduct a full system scan to identify and remove malware entities on your PC. You can either use the Windows built-in anti-malware or install a quality third-party anti-malware program.
Use any of these four methods to fix or remove a faulty accelerometerst.exe file. Ensure that you keep your PC system clean and free from viruses. Always use applications from the official manufacturer websites. If you are afraid of handling things manually, you can use an anti-malware and a PC repair tool to help you sort the issue.