Have you accidentally deleted your favorite video game on your Windows 10 PC? Fret not because many users were once exactly in your shoes. And the good thing is that they were able to recover from such an unfortunate loss in just a matter of minutes.
To help people like you to recover your computer games and enjoy them as you usually do, we have created this article. This should be more than enough to get your games back to where they should be.
How to Get Back Deleted Games in Windows 10
You may probably ask, “Is it possible to recover deleted games in Windows 10?” Well, the good news is that you can. In fact, there are many ways to do so. Below, we have enumerated several ways to recover deleted games in Windows 10.
If the game file has not been deleted permanently, then the Recycle Bin should help you quickly restore your game setup. Also, File Explorer’s history section might just help you retrieve the application. Lastly, a System Restore can recover your accidentally deleted game, too.
Method #1: Check the Recycle Bin
Every time you delete a file, it goes directly from the File Explorer to the Recycle Bin. So, chances are, if you wish to retrieve an accidentally deleted game, you can still get it back from the Recycle Bin.
Here’s what you should do:
- Go to the Desktop and double-click on the Recycle Bin icon.
- Once the Recycle Bin window opens, check if it contains the deleted game file or not.
- If it’s there, right-click on it and select Restore.
- The game file should automatically reappear at the location where it was once saved.
It is worth noting, though, that this method is only helpful if the game file was deleted using the Del key. When combined with the Shift key, the file will be permanently removed from the directory, meaning it will be more difficult to recover it.
Method #2: Retrieve the deleted game using File History.
In case you didn’t know, File Explorer allows you to recover deleted games, too. To retrieve the game, you have to open the game’s previous version. And then, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows + E hotkeys to launch File Explorer.
- Access the folder that previously contained the game files.
- Right-click on the folder and select Properties.
- Navigate to the Previous Versions section. Here, you should find copies of the deleted games. Choose the recently removed game file.
- Navigate to the bottom of the page and click Apply.
- Hit OK to save the changes.
- Restart your PC and check if the game has been restored.
Method #3: Perform a System Restore
In the event that the two methods fail, you may try to recover the lost game file using System Restore. However, this method only works if you have created a previous restore point. A restore point is an image copy of your Windows files, including its settings and other options.
To perform a System Restore, follow the instructions below:
- Into the Cortana search box, input create a restore point.
- Hit Enter.
- In the screen that appears, click the System Restore button.
- Click Next.
- Choose a restore point. It is ideal to choose a restore point when the game file was still there.
- Next, select the Scan for affected programs option.
- At this point, your system will begin scanning all your files. Proceed by hitting Next.
- Now, press the Finish button to initiate the system restore process.
- Reboot your PC and check if you have retrieved your accidentally deleted game.
Method #4: Use a third-party recovery tool
If performing a System Restore does not work, then we suggest using a third-party recovery tool. There are plenty of recovery tools out there that allow you to recover deleted programs, including the installation folder and the data generated. Make a wise choice and install one directly from the manufacturer’s website.
Once you have installed one, follow these generic steps:
- Launch the tool.
- Choose the drive where the game was once saved.
- Hit the Scan button.
- Wait for the scanning process to complete.
- Find the game’s setup and installation files and click the Recover button.
- Select a location where you want to save the files.
- Once you have retrieved the files, you can proceed with double-clicking on the .exe file to reinstall the game.
As you can see, if you have accidentally deleted one or more computer games on your Windows device, there’s no reason to panic. You can always restore them from the Recycle Bin or using the System Restore option. And if none of the two works, you can always try to use a third-party data recovery tool to get back the game’s lost files and reinstall from there. Soon, you should be able to start playing Silent Hill again as if nothing happened.
Now, if you feel as if you lack the technical skills to troubleshoot and recover your accidentally deleted game, that’s completely fine. It’s never wrong to seek help from professionals. Call a tech-savvy friend or take your device to the nearest computer repair shop for a diagnosis. Let the professionals handle the game recovery instead to avoid causing more damage to your PC.
Have you been in the same situation before? How did you manage to recover your favorite game? We’d love to know. Share your stories and experience in the comments!