There is a variety of errors you will experience when using Windows 10/11 operating system. One of the most recent ones is error 0xc1900201. You know by now that Windows releases updates to their operating system to perform various functions like fix bugs and increase performance speed. For this reason, if you check the Windows Update and realize that one of the updates didn’t download or install correctly, it’s best to take steps to correct this issue.
Cause of the Update Error 0xc1900201
There may be a few reasons why your computer didn’t update correctly. It could be that the windows update components may be malfunctioning or that the downloaded files were corrupted. It could also be that the updates didn’t download correctly. Whatever the reason you encounter the Error 0xc1900201 on Windows 10/11, this PC repair guide should have your computer up and running again.
Option 1: Reboot Your Computer
This Windows Update Error 0xc1900201 fix is by far the easiest. Sometimes, the glitches that cause the update error can be fixed by restarting the computer. Close all the apps and documents you are working on so you don’t lose any progress. Restart your computer, then try and run the update again.
Option 2: Check Your Internet Connection
Your network connection may interfere with the downloading of the update and consequently lead to this error. To fix this, try switching to a LAN connector if you are on Wi-Fi or vice versa. Once done, try downloading and installing the update again.
Pro Tip: Run a dedicated PC optimization tool to get rid of incorrect settings, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats that can cause system issues or slow performance.
Option 3: Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows Update Troubleshooter is a utility that accompanies your Windows OS that is meant to diagnose and fix errors in updating your OS. To run it, follow these steps:
- On your keyboard, press Windows Key+I to launch the Settings app.
- Once Settings is up, click Update & Security.
- Go to the left-pane menu and click Troubleshoot.
- Move to the right pane, then click Additional Troubleshooters.
- On the next page, select Windows Update, then click Run the Troubleshooter.
- Let it run and find. It should diagnose your computer, and if it finds any error, it will inform you. Select Apply Fix if the option comes up for the tool to fix the error.
- Try running the update again.
Option 4: Manually Reset Windows Update Components
If defective Windows Update components are the cause of the fault, resetting them and forcing them to restart should fix the problem. To do so, follow these steps:
- Click the Search icon on the taskbar, then type “CMD” (no quotes).
- Right-click on Command Prompt from the results, then select Run as Administrator.
- When the UAC window pops up, select Yes, and the elevated Command Prompt window will open.
- In this window, run the following command-lines step by step pressing Enter after each. They will stop four services; Windows Update, MSI Installer, BITS, and Cryptographic.
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
- Next, it’s time to force Windows Update to restart. To do this, you will rename the Catroot2 and SoftwareDistribution folder. To do so, run the following commands pressing Enter after each.
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
- Now, you should restart the services you stopped in step 4. Run the following command lines pressing Enter after each.
net start bits
net start msiserver
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
- Close the elevated Command Prompt Window then run the updates again.
Option 5: Update Using Microsoft Update Catalog
Sometimes, the problem is the downloaded update. You can decide to look for that specific update online, download it, and install it manually. To do so, follow these steps:
- Go to Microsoft Update Catalog.
- Search for that specific update by identifying markers like the update code.
- Download the update and install it.
If these steps do not work, your PC may be the problem. If, for example, it doesn’t meet the requirements to install the updates, they won’t install. The option left is to contact your hardware vendor. They should tell you how to proceed.
If you encounter the Windows Update Error 0xc1900201, do not panic. There are some quick fixes you can try to have your computer running on the latest updates in no time.
Vic is a search engine optimization expert, helping to optimize websites to make them more Google and user-friendly. He’s been in the industry for more than 10 years, and his work speaks a lot about his experience and expertise in the IT and digital marketing fields.
Vic is the one in charge of keeping our website running smoothly and efficiently, to make sure that our readers have a wonderful experience while visiting the website. He’s good at troubleshooting errors and fixing issues that come up either when playing games or working on the computer.
Vic is a certified gadget freak who feels the need to surround himself with cutting-edge technology. And this passion has helped him a lot in creating content that informs and guides users on using and troubleshooting the latest technology. He is an avid researcher who is always hungry for the latest news and updates on the most cutting-edge technology.