There has been an influx of complaints concerning the Error 0x8e5e0247 on Windows 10. The issue occurs when users are executing various actions. Frequently, it appears when users attempt to utilize the Windows Update (WU) feature or built-in troubleshooting utilities.
What Is the Error 0x8e5e0247 on Windows 10?
Also known as the Runtime Error 0x8e5e0247 on Windows 10, the issue indicates failure or a crash in the WU feature. When the problem occurs, WU crashes, leading to failure of functionalities. There are several symptoms related to this issue. To come up with effective solutions, we have to touch base on these symptoms to understand the nature and cause of the problem. Since there are various causes to the issue, we have presented more than one approach to fixing it.
Symptoms of the Error 0x8e5e0247 on Windows 10
Usually, the error appears without a warning as it can pop up the screen anytime WU is running. If the issue is not addressed immediately, the error message will keep on popping up periodically. Based on our analysis, here are the three major culprits to this problem:
- Outdated Intel RST Driver – An outdated Rapid Storage Driver is the common cause of the Error 0x8e5e0247 on Windows 10. When outdated, the driver fails to handle storage volume available on the system settings. This usually occurs when the user upgrades the storage disk. In such instances, updating the Intel RST Drivers will do the trick.
- Conflicting Intel Matrix Storage – When the user installs a generic or dedicated driver with similar functionality, this utility can trigger the Error 0x8e5e0247 on Windows 10. If that is the case, uninstalling the Intel Matrix Storage utility should resolve the issue.
- Corrupt System Files – If the system files are corrupted or missing due to an infection or incident that tampered with the files, the Error 0x8e5e0247 is bound to occur. In such a case, running an SFC or DISM scan will help repair corrupted files. If infected, a trusted Anti-malware security tool is needed to remove the malicious program that tampered with the system files.
Windows Error Code 0x8e5e0247 Solutions
If you identify one of the listed culprits above in your system, we advise jumping to the actual fix below. However, if not sure of the cause, it’s best to follow these potential solutions in their order. Doing so will help achieve efficiency as we listed the solutions according to the severity of the problem.
Pro Tip: Scan your PC for performance issues, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats
that can cause system issues or slow performance.
Solution #1: Update the Intel RST
If the error 0x8e5e0247 issue started to occur when you upgraded to a new SSD or HDD, it is likely your system still uses the old Intel RST driver which isn’t compatible with the current driver volume.
In such scenarios, updating the Intel RST driver to the latest version should help. To do so, follow the instructions below:
- Get the latest Intel RST driver from the official website.
- Once you have found the latest driver, download its executable file.
- Double-click on the file when the download is complete to initiate its installation.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation process.
- Restart the computer to let the changes take effect.
- In the next startup, execute the process that previously triggered the Error 0x8e5e0247 to check if the issue has been solved.
Solution #2: Uninstall Intel Matrix Storage Drive
If your system is using Intel Matrix Storage with the Intel RST driver also installed, it is highly likely for the Error 0x8e5e0247 to occur. There could be a conflict between the two drivers that are designed to carry out the same functionality.
In such a scenario, it is best to uninstall Intel Matrix Storage utility to try and resolve the issue via the Programs and Features function. To do so, follow these simple steps below:
- Access the Run dialog by simultaneously pressing Windows + R keys. In the search field, type “appwiz.cpl” (no quotes) and hit Enter to launch Programs and Features.
- Go through the list of programs to locate Intel Matrix Storage. Once you’ve found it, right-click on it and select Uninstall from the emerging context menu.
- Follow the prompts to complete the uninstallation procedure. When done, restart the system.
- Once the reboot sequence has completed, repeat the action that triggered the Error 0x8e5e0247 to see if the issue has been resolved.
Solution #3: Execute SFC or DISM Scans
Corrupt system files can inhibit the functionality of WU or Windows Troubleshooter features. There are many reasons why system files can get corrupted but the common one involves computer virus infections. Malware tends to bypass areas that require admin privileges, hence managing to tamper with system files without the user’s knowledge. Built-in programs such as WU and Windows Troubleshooter fail to complete operations when these system files have been corrupted or gone missing.
In such a scenario, running a SFC or DISM scan should help solve the missing or corrupted system files. Both of the utilities share the same goal of fixing missing or corrupt system files but do it in different ways. With SFC, the utility fetches factory files to replace corrupted or missing ones from a local cache while DISM utilizes WU to download healthy system file copies.
You can perform SFC and DISM scans by following the instructions below:
- Simultaneously press Windows + R keys to launch the Run window. Type “cmd” (no quotes) in the search field before pressing Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys simultaneously to launch an elevated Command Prompt. If the User Account Control (UAC) window appears, click on Yes to proceed.
- Once on the elevated Command Prompt, insert the following command before hitting the Enter key.
Important Note: If the scan is interrupted during the process, further harm can be done to system files leading to severe computer instability and issues. Therefore, make sure not to close the CMD window or shut down the PC unexpectedly. Also, note that the process can take up to hours before completing depending on the specs and storage volume of your computer.
- When SFC scan has completed, close the window and reboot the system. Check if the issue hasn’t been resolved by performing the same action that previously triggered it.
- If the issue persists, run the DISM scan by following Step 1 to launch elevated Command Prompt.
- When inside the Elevated Command Prompt, insert the following command before hitting Enter:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Important Note: DISM scan requires a stable internet connection and may fail to complete if your connection is unstable.
- Wait for the procedure to complete before restarting your system.
Solution #4: Execute Repair Installation
If none of the above solutions was the right fit, there is a chance that your system has suffered severe system file corruption affecting OS files. In such a scenario, a repair installation can help resolve the issue.
Note that while this process can be very effective, one needs to take precautionary measures and back up their important files to avoid losing their data in case anything goes wrong. Also, pay attention and avoid selecting clean installation as this will wipe all of your data. Repair installation only resets all Windows components, leaving preferred apps as well as personal data untouched.
To execute a repair installation, follow the instructions below:
- Make sure you have 9+ GB of storage space in your storage drive or USB stick.
- Download Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 here.
- Launch the executable file and follow the prompts to create a Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File).
- Once the creation of the ISO file is complete, launch the program and select repair installation. If you created the ISO file on another computer, insert the USB or external storage drive to the affected computer before launching the repair installation procedure.
- Once done, reboot the system for changes to take effect and repeat the action that previously triggered the Error 0x8e5e0247.
If you manage to solve the issue but suspect that the cause was due to malware infection, we advise carrying out a thorough virus scan using a trusted and robust anti-malware security tool. This will help get rid of the malicious program which caused the issue, avoiding repetition of the issue related to the Error 0x8e5e0247 in future.