Error 5016 is one of those things in life that seem too puzzling to solve but actually entail straightforward solutions. This error code is typically caused by misconfigured system files in your Windows operating system.
Also known as error 5016 Owa, it usually stems from incorrectly configured system settings as well as irregular entries in the Windows registry. Special software can help repair the registry and then tunes up the system settings in order to address the issue and restore stability.
Meaning of Error 5016
Error 5016 Owa contains the error details, such as why the error occurred and which system component or app malfunctioned and led to it. The numerical code, for instance, is a preview to data that the manufacturer of the malfunctioning app or component can decipher. Note, however, that even if such details are present in the name, you can still have a tough time pinpointing the exact cause of the error without specialized technical knowledge.
Causes of Error 5016
Here are some common causes of the malfunction in your system operation that lead to error 5016:
- A virus or malware attack
- Improper system shutdown, such as due to a power outage
- Deletion of a requisite system file or registry entry
- Failed or improper installation (or uninstall) of software, leaving invalid entries in the registry
- Other causes involving a system or app component
For example, you may see error 5016 when you run the Inventory Agent program for Macintosh client computers, also known as INVMac, for Microsoft Systems Management Server. This error surfaces when INVMac on the Mac client computer cannot detect the server. In this case, fix error 5016 in file shicsetting.cp by following the steps outlined here.
How to Fix Error 5016
Here are a number of ways to address this error in a simple, straightforward manner and without needing advanced technical know-how:
Scan Your Computer with a PC Repair Tool
A reliable third-party Windows computer repair tool can scan, detect, and repair your computer for system errors, junk, and unnecessary files that are “polluting” your system. Choose one that is free to download and easy to install and use. It can help tackle error 5016, diagnose your Windows system’s health, and get your machine running fast and free of junk files again.
After scanning your computer, see if the problem persists.
Use Error 5016 Repair Utility
Follow these steps:
- Download error 5016 repair utility here.
- Install the program.
- Next, click Scan.
- Click Fix Errors once the scan is complete.
- Restart your machine.
Perform a Manual Restore
This is the most advanced among the three solutions we listed, so proceed with caution and make sure to follow every step carefully:
- Start your machine and log on as an administrator.
- Click the Start Afterwards, select All Programs > Accessories > System Tools. Click System Restore.
- In the new window that appears, choose the Restore my computer to an earlier time Click Next once you’re done.
- Choose the most recent system restore point from the list named On this list, click a restore point. Click
- On the confirmation window, click Next.
- Once the manual restore is done, restart your computer.
There are a painful lot of errors that can hit your Windows computer any time, so it’s best to stay prepared and keep your machine in tiptop shape with a trusted PC repair tool and similar useful apps and software. Make sure to avoid deleting required system files or registry entries – err on the side of caution and consult an expert to avoid bigger issues.
Have you had any previous experience with Windows error code 5016? Let us know in the comments!