But have you recently tried installing Windows 10 and yet cannot seem to activate it? Typically after you upgrade to Windows 8 or Windows 10, your next move is to activate the product.
If you are one of the users who have received error code 0xc004f074 and are unable to proceed with your Windows 8 or Windows 10 activation, then read on. This quick guide will provide ways to fix error code 0xc004f074 in no time.
What Is Error Code 0xc004f074?
A number of Windows users have complained that they have just updated their operating system and yet cannot activate it. For every attempt, they receive error code 0xc004f074.
Pro Tip: Run a dedicated PC optimization tool to get rid of incorrect settings, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats that can cause system issues or slow performance.
This error code indicates that Key Management Service or KMS couldn’t be contacted while the activation process is underway. The user is unable to use her computer and finds the following message:
Windows is unable to reach your company’s activation service. Please connect to your corporate network. If you are connected and continue to see the error, contact your system administrator. You can also click on the error detail to find the exact error. Error code: 0xc004F074.
A rather well-known issue, this error first emerged when Windows 10 was released back in 2015. Microsoft dutifully released a patch and fixed this bug. Unfortunately, the error continues to reappear along with the Cumulative Windows Updates.
In general, error code 0xc004f074 emerges due to accessing an invalid or compromised copy of Windows, which might cause harm on the computer. This version can come from pirated software sites, which are dangerous and can cause permanent system damage. This is why the user is recommended to download a valid version from the official website, and then activate the key there so no activation issue crops up.
If, however, you are confident that you downloaded a legitimate Windows 10 update but still get the error, then learn how to fix the problem manually.
Ways to Fix Error Code 0xC004F074
Here are several methods you can use to speedily resolve the issue:
Using the slmgr.vbs Command
Follow these instructions closely:
- Go to the start screen of your Windows 10 device. Click the Desktop icon found there.
- On your desktop, left click on the Start button. Next, click the Command Prompt icon. Make sure you are opening the one with administrative rights. To do this, right-click the Command Prompt icon and click Run as administrator.
- When you see a prompt, click the Yes button to proceed.
- Once in Command Prompt, type in the following command: slmgr.vbs –ipk YYYYY- YYYYY – YYYYY – YYYYY – YYYYY. In the code, replace the Y letters with your product key number. The product key should also contain 25 numbers. Hit Enter.
- In the Command Prompt, input the following command: slmgr.vbs –ato. Press Enter.
- Reboot your computer and see if the error is gone.
Changing the Key Using Activation Wizard
This time, pay attention to the slui 4 command by following these steps:
- On your start screen, press and hold the Windows +R keys. Click Enter.
- Next, hit the Windows + S keys to open Settings.
- Choose Update & security. Then, click Activation.
- If your computer is not activated, then you will get the Activate by phone option.
- Initiate the Product Activation Wizard.
- Open charms menu. Click Settings.
- Proceed to Change PC Settings. Click Activate Windows.
- Hit one of the options, such as Activate, Activate by phone, and Contact customer support for help.
- Follow the directions on screen. For example, activate Windows through your phone.
Running the Update Troubleshooter
It makes sense to run the update and activation troubleshooters since the error takes place shortly after installing the latest updates. To do this, simply go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshooter. From there, choose Windows Update. Run the troubleshooter as usual.
Does the issue persist? Then continue with the Windows 10 Activation Troubleshooter. Navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Activation > Troubleshooter. Wait for the process to complete. Afterwards, reboot your machine to check if the error code is still present.
Running an SFC Scan
You can also take advantage of System File Checker (SFC) to fix the error. It will check if there are corrupted system files that could be leading to the issue. Here are the steps:
- Click the Windows + X keys.
- Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
- Next, type in sfc/scannow and then press Enter. This will start the System File Checker.
- Wait for the process to complete in the next few minutes.
- Restart your computer and try once again to activate Windows 10.
Contacting Microsoft Support
If the problem cannot seem to let up, we suggest that you contact the Microsoft Customer Support staff to get further assistance. You can tell them more about the error and even ask for your product key to be changed. There are cases where using the product key multiple times results in getting blocked by the server. Here, the support team can help reset the product key.
Error code 0xc004f074 is an issue where users are unable to activate Windows 8 or Windows 10 after installing it. It can surface and persist because you may be accessing an invalid or compromised Windows copy, which could harm your machine.
Try one of the quick solutions we outlined above to make this error a thing of the past! Don’t forget to regularly clean up and optimize your Windows computer using a trusted third-party PC repair tool to improve system speed and stability.
What are your thoughts on these different Windows errors? Let us know below!