Are you unable to print a web page after a Windows update? Maybe all you get is the printer error 0x8007007E. If that sounds familiar, you are among a growing number of PC users with the same nightmare. This issue is common among Microsoft Edge users, which can be annoying if you are unable to fix it. A Microsoft Edge user reported on Microsoft community that he cannot print from Edge after a recent Windows update. Some users are also getting Error 0x8007007e whenever they try to print PDF files.
If you cannot print from Microsoft Edge because of the error 0x8007007e and you are looking for a solution, you have come to the right place. This post will present several approaches on how to fix the issue.
What Causes Edge Printing Error 0x8007007e?
What is clear from most complaints is that the issue started after recent Windows updates. Those updates might have made the printer drivers on your PC not compatible with the latest version of Windows 10. If this is the case, it is important to reinstall your printer software and drivers. The necessary driver updates are available from the manufacturers’ websites.
What to Do When You Get Error 0x8007007e from Microsoft Edge
Note: As a temporary solution, you can use Firefox or Chrome in the meantime to print your webpages while you follow these fixes to resolve the Edge printing error 0x8007007e.
Also, before you change anything on your PC, for instance, installing drivers or any other software, it is always smart to create a System Restore point. By doing this way, you will restore your machine to an earlier state if something goes wrong.
By default, System Restore is turned off. To activate it, follow the steps below:
- On the search box on the taskbar, enter ‘Create a restore point’, and then choose System Properties from the list of results. Highlight the System Protection tab, then select drive C and tap Configure.
- Choose the ‘Turn on system protection radio’ button and click Apply, then OK.
- From here, create a system restore point. Follow the first two steps above, and then instead of clicking the Configure button, choose the Create button.
- Describe the restore point for easier identification, and then click Create.
To fix a PC that cannot print from Microsoft Edge, follow these steps:
Step 1: Check and Install Available Windows Updates
It is most likely that Microsoft is aware of the issue, so they may have released an update to rectify the problem. Check for the latest Windows updates and install them. Here is the process:
- Go to Settings by pressing the Windows + I shortcut on the keyboard.
- Choose Updates & Security.
- After that, click the Check for Updates If there are any updates, install them.
- When the Windows update installation is complete, restart your PC and check if it resolved the issue.
Step 2: Reinstall Printer Software and Drivers
Sometimes, when you install Windows updates, existing printer drivers and software may become obsolete. Your drivers could also be destroyed by viruses, power outages, or other computer issues. You should remove all incompatible software and drivers and install their correct versions. Ensure you download printer drivers from the manufacturer’s website. HP, for instance, recommends that you make your printer compatible with Windows 10. And if your device is compatible with Windows 10 and you cannot print from Microsoft Edge, then you can use Microsoft Printer Troubleshooter.
Step 3: Uninstall and Reinstall the Printer
Rather than wasting time trying to find out what causes Edge to disconnect with your printer, you can reinstall the printer. It actually saves time and is usually effective. To complete this task, disconnect the printer from your computer and follow these steps:
- From the Start menu, select Settings, then choose Apps > Apps and Features.
- Uninstall existing printer software.
- After that, uninstall all printer drivers. To remove printer drivers, open Run by pressing the Windows + R shortcut on the keyboard, then enter “printui /s /t2” into Run. Upon clicking OK, Print Server Properties window will open.
- Choose the Drivers tab on the top menu and click the Change Driver Settings button at the bottom to check all available drivers.
- Choose the drivers you want to remove, and then click the Remove button to uninstall them. If you want to select all, choose the first printer driver on the list, press the Shift key, and then select the last driver.
- A window will pop up asking you to choose how you want to uninstall your drivers. Choose ‘Remove driver and driver package’ (recommended) or ‘Remove driver only’, then click OK.
- A second window will pop up asking you to confirm your operations. Click Yes to confirm.
- After that, click on the Delete button, then the OK button to complete the process.
- Once you’re done, click Close to close the window.
If you were successful in uninstalling the printer, restart your PC and reinstall the latest version of the printer. Visit your model’s download page and install the latest firmware and software. When you connect the printer to your PC through USB, the setup screen will automatically pop up. For other cases, right-click the Setup file from the Extract Printer Software and select Run as Administrator. After that, follow the on-screen setup instructions.
Step 4: Run Printing Troubleshooter
If Microsoft Edge gives the printing error 0x8007007e even after the above fixes, run the printing troubleshooter. It can resolve issues with installation and connection. Download and launch the Microsoft Printer Troubleshooter. Alternatively, you can search for the troubleshooter on the taskbar. Just type ‘Printing problem in’, then select the issue from the list of results and choose Troubleshooter to download. Follow the steps given in the troubleshooter to resolve the problem.
Improve PC Performance
Now that we know how to resolve Error 0x8007007e in Microsoft Edge, you can also perform other tweaks to improve the performance of your PC. Fortunately, you can do this automatically. Outbyte PC Repair will help you remove junk files, diagnose and fix Windows system issues, speed up your PC, and more importantly, restore system stability by eliminating causes of most errors and freezes.
We hope these fixes helped you to resolve the problem. Let us know about the outcome. If you still have issues with your printer, feel free to ask for support in the comment section.