There are a few things that are worse than a malfunctioning computer. But when you are experiencing it, a system error is probably the last thing you want to see. Computers are a staple tool in most people’s daily lives. So when the error code 0xc000000f on Windows 10 appears when you are booting your computer, you may panic. This is especially true if you are not close to a tech-savvy person who can help you troubleshoot the problem and fix it. No need to worry though, this guide has got you covered.
Causes of Windows Error Code 0xc000000f
This error is relatively common to Windows operating system users, but it can also occur to Mac users. The error typically occurs when you install a new operating system (OS) or after you install a new program. Here are a few causes:
- Corrupted files as a result of power failure
- If you have damaged or faulty power or data cables
- Missing files caused by malware of virus attacks
- A damaged drive
- Disk write errors
How to Fix Error Code 0xc000000f
There are various repair options available to Mac and Windows users who encounter this error. Listed below are possible steps you can take to clear the error.
Option 1: Follow the onscreen instructions
Normally, accompanying the error are instructions on how you can repair your Windows device. Many times, this means you need to have a genuine Windows bootable DVD or USB. If you don’t have one, you can easily create one for whatever OS you have, using an online guide.
Pro Tip: Scan your PC for performance issues, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats
that can cause system issues or slow performance.
Once you have a bootable DVD or USB, go to your system’s BIOS. Select Boot Order then make the bootable device the first option. Save the changes, then restart your PC. Your PC will reboot using the bootable media and perform the necessary Windows repairs automatically.
Option 2: Check the status of the data or power cables
Sometimes, faulty or damaged wires can interfere with your PC’s ability to access the necessary files properly. To ensure that this is not the problem, take the following steps:
- Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds. This will switch off the computer.
- Check the data and power cables for any signs of wear and tear.
- Replace any faulty cables.
- Reconnect your computer cables correctly.
- Restart the computer.
If the cables were the problem, when you plug them correctly or replace faulty ones, the laptop will reboot correctly without the error.
Option 3: Remove any external devices
Sometimes, the error is caused by the external devices connected to the computer. Follow these steps to fix the problem:
- Long press the power button for about 10 seconds for the computer to switch off. This won’t work if the computer is in sleep mode.
- Unplug any external devices such as:
- External drives
- USB storage devices
- Video game controllers
- Any dongles
- Restart the computer.
Option 4: Use the Bootrec.exe tool
This tool can correct the error for both Mac and Windows PCs. Follow these steps for Windows:
- Insert the Windows USB or DVD.
- Reboot the computer.
- When the message pops-up, press any key.
- Press R or click ‘Repair your computer.’
- Select Troubleshoot, and then Command Prompt.
- When the Command Prompt screen comes up, type bootrec /FixMbr, then press the Enter key.
- When you complete the Command Prompt steps, type Exit, then press the Enter key.
- Remove the DVD or USB drive.
Option 5: Contact customer support
If you have tried the recommended fixes above and other available options online and they still fail, contact customer support for further help.
Once you are done, don’t worry about recovering your files. There are many PC repair guides available online that will help you do so. They should direct you to data recovery software that will enable you to restore your data quickly.
When you see the error code 0xc00000f, there is no need to panic. The options mentioned above can help you clear the error so that you can continue using your computer as intended.