ExtraTorrents is a renowned name in the torrent realm. In fact, it is considered one of the tightest and toughest competitors of torrent giants: The Pirate Bay and Kickass.
ExtraTorrents launched in 2006. Since then, it has become the go-to site for many Internet users who want to download movies, games, and files through the P2P file-sharing method.
Over the years, many changes have happened to the torrent ecosystem.ExtraTorrents was among those websites that were affected. Unsurprisingly, proxy sites have now taken over the original website.
ExtraTorrents: A Quick Look on the Once-Popular Torrent Website
ExtraTorrents, or ExtraTorrent cc, hosted a plethora of magnet and torrent links for various types of content. However, its vast collection of links to contents didn’t make it popular. It was its advanced search functionality. By typing the right keywords into the search box, you can find almost any type of content you need.
ExtraTorrents did not miss the attention of keen copyright watchdogs. On 17 May 2017, the site was voluntarily shut down. With ExtraTorrent cc down, fans of the site and torrent enthusiasts attempted to clone it. Others even put up ExtraTorrent mirrors.
A majority of these ExtraTorrent proxy and mirror sites suffered the same fate as the main site and vanished from search engine results.
How ExtraTorrent Proxy Sites Work and Unblock ExtraTorrents
Now, you may be wondering how these proxy and mirror sites manage to access or unblock ExtraTorrents. The answer is pretty straightforward. Proxy sites serve as a bridge between your connection and the website you are trying to access. So, when you use proxies for ExtraTorrents, your internet traffic is routed to the proxy server first before it reaches the mirror site.
Simply said, proxy sites don’t just unblock ExtraTorrents. They also allow you to access other torrent websites that may be blocked in your location.
Then again, these proxy sites aren’t without flaws. There are instances when you need to do more than just visiting the proxy site to unblock ExtraTorrents. If you find yourself in such a situation, follow these easy hacks:
Hack #1: Use the TOR Browser
To unblock ExtraTorrents, you can browse anonymously using the TOR Browser. This web browser anonymizes your traffic by letting you connect to a private network and share bandwidth with other users. By using TOR to access ExtraTorrents, you can unblock the website even if it is not accessible in your location. Moreover, it will clean the website for you. There will be no ads, cookies, or third-party trackers.
To access ExtraTorrents using the TOR Browser, enter the URL of ExtraTorrents into the address bar. And then, hit the Enter key on your keyboard.
Hack #2: Use a VPN Service
A proxy site is indeed a reliable way to unblock ExtraTorrents. But the problem is that proxy sites don’t always guarantee security. What’s more alarming is that your online activities can still be monitored.
To keep your identity anonymous and avoid being tracked, experts suggest using a virtual private network (VPN) service. A trusted VPN service provider will ensure your online traffic is routed to a server in a different country. This allows you to access geo-restricted content and sites like ExtraTorrents.
There are many trusted VPN service providers out there. So, making a choice may not be as easy as you think. We recommend using established names already, such as Outbyte VPN, ExpressVPN, and NordVPN.
Once you have a VPN app downloaded and installed, follow these steps to safely unblock the ExtraTorrents website:
- Sign up to use the VPN service.
- Switch on the Kill Switch or Network Lock. Switching on the Kill Switch means your VPN connection automatically drops in the event of VPN network issues. This, in turn, protects your network traffic and sensitive information.
- Next, select a VPN server and hit the Connect button.
- Wait as the connection is being established.
- Once you have established the connection, you can visit the ExtraTorrents website.
Hack #3: Use a Public DNS Server
If you are unable to access ExtraTorrents at this point, it is likely that your local DNS blocked it. Don’t worry, though. This restriction can be lifted by changing your DNS address to a public one.
Here’s how to do it:
- Go to the taskbar and click on the search field.
- Type Control Panel and select the most relevant search result.
- Once the Control Panel window opens, choose Network and Internet.
- Navigate to the left pane and select Change Adapter Settings.
- Next, right-click on your active network connection and choose Properties.
- Go to the Network Connection Properties section and click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
- Click Properties.
- On the window that opens, tick the Use the following DNS server address option.
- Enter both your Preferred and Alternate DNS Servers. Now, if you want to unblock ExtraTorrents, you may use any of the public DNS servers listed here:
- Google DNS: 22.214.171.124 126.96.36.199
- Open DNS: 188.8.131.52 184.108.40.206
- DNS Advantage: 220.127.116.11 18.104.22.168
- DNS Resolvers: 22.214.171.124 126.96.36.199
- Norton DNS: 188.8.131.52 184.108.40.206
- Hit Enter then OK to save your changes.
Is Extratorrents Really Worth the Risk?
Extratorrents is one of the most popular torrent sites on the web, offering users access to thousands of movies, TV shows, music, and software. While the site offers a wealth of content, there are many risks associated with using it.
So, is it really worth the risk? Here are the pros and cons of using Extratorrents so you can decide.
The Cons of Extratorrents
If you’ve heard of the popular torrent site Extratorrents, then you know it is a major hub for downloading torrents. While it can be a great source for finding the latest and greatest content, there are some serious drawbacks to using this service.
Here are some of the cons associated with using Extratorrents:
- Security and Privacy: Extratorrents does not offer any privacy protections for its users. Anyone with the right software can access all data downloaded from the site. Additionally, since the platform is decentralized, there is no guarantee that the files you download are secure.
- Low-Quality Content: Since Extratorrents is a peer-to-peer network, the quality of the content can vary significantly. Some files may be of low quality or even contain malicious software.
- Copyright Violation: Extratorrents operates outside the law, meaning it’s possible to download copyrighted material without facing legal consequences. This could land you in hot water if you’re caught downloading copyrighted material, as penalties can be severe.
- Poor Support: Unlike other sites, Extratorrents doesn’t have a customer support team available to help with any issues you may encounter while downloading. This means that if something goes wrong while downloading or you need help with a problem, you’re on your own.
The Importance of VPN When Torrenting
With all the threats out there, it is really worth emphasizing the need to use a VPN when torrenting. Not only will it allow you to unblock geo-restricted content. But it will also protect your identity as you surf the web and access torrent websites.
However, you don’t just use any VPN service just because it appears on top of search results. You want to choose one that you can trust; ideally, one that has a no-logs policy to ensure your information is not stored. Another factor to look into when choosing a VPN service is DNS Leak Protection. With this feature, your DNS requests are monitored, giving you the assurance that all packets of information go through the VPN server and not to your ISP. Suffice to say, a reliable VPN service can help you get around problems like the Fortnite VPN ban.
As mentioned above, there are plenty of proxy sites that allow you to unblock ExtraTorrents. Also, there are other ways for you to access the website, too. The choice is up to you. Regardless of the method or proxy site you select, make sure you stay anonymous and secure using a VPN service.
We also hope that you have got all the information you need about the top ExtraTorrents proxy sites. Please comment below whether you find this article helpful or not.