For sure, you’ve read or heard about WinRAR a hundred times. But do you know what exactly does? If not, fret not because we have created this article just for you. Hopefully, at the end of this post, you will know what you can do with WinRAR and how to use it.
What is WinRAR?
WinRAR is a data compression and archive manager software. It has two main uses. First, it allows you to compress large files for easy file-sharing. Second, it allows you to extract compressed files.
What are compressed files?
You’ve probably downloaded a file before that when opened, tells you to unzip it first. This type of file is called a compressed file. A compressed file is literally what its name says. It is a file that had its size reduced. You can use a compressed file only after decompression.
To compress and decompress a file, you need a software like WinRAR.
Why Do You Need to Compress Files?
There are times when the need to compress files arises. Maybe you need to send several files and attach them to an email. Perhaps you only have limited space on your storage space, hence you need to make them smaller.
By compressing files, you are actually reducing the amount of storage space. At the same time, you are making it easier to share files with others. This explains why the files we normally download from the web are usually compressed.
How to Get WinRAR?
WinRAR can be easily downloaded from its developer’s official website. You can purchase it for only €29.95 or you may try its beta version first.
How to Use WinRAR?
Even without technical knowledge, you can easily use WinRAR. However, we want to make it easier for you. We’ve detailed the steps below to guide you.
Compressing a File with WinRAR
To compress a file with WinRAR, follow these steps:
- Make sure you have WinRAR installed.
- Go to Windows Explorer and locate the files that you want to compress. Select all of them.
- Right-click on the highlighted files and select Add to Archive.
- WinRAR should now open and present you with the following options:
- Archive Name – Use it to customize the file name.
- Archive Format – Choose another file format other than .RAR.
- Split to Volumes – Choose the maximum RAR file size.
- Set Password – Secure the file with a password.
- The file should now be compressed. It will be automatically saved in the same folder as the original files. You can easily recognize the file because it has the WinRAR logo.
Unzipping a File with WinRAR
To unzip or extract a compressed file with WinRAR, follow these steps:
- Be sure that WinRAR is installed on your PC.
- Navigate to the Windows Explorer and locate the file that you want to decompress.
- Right-click on the file and you should then be presented with the following options:
- Extract Files – It allows you to customize or choose a new file location
- Extract Here – It lets you extract the files in the current folder.
- Extract To – It allows you to create a new folder where you can save the decompressed files.
- Hit Enter.
The WinRAR software is indeed handy as it saves storage space and it makes sharing files easier. However, just make sure that you have an anti-malware tool installed on your PC. This will keep your files from being corrupted or damaged by malware entities.
It also helps to have a trustworthy PC repair tool on your Windows device or a Mac repair tool on your macOS. This will ensure no junk files affect your system performance and clean up significant storage space.
Have you been using WinRAR, too? Share your experience with us in the comments.
If you’re running into errors and your system is suspiciously slow, your computer needs some maintenance work. Download Outbyte PC Repair for Windows, Outbyte Antivirus for Windows, or Outbyte MacRepair for macOS to resolve common computer performance issues.
Fix computer troubles by downloading the compatible tool for your device.