Want to download Speccy but you’re uncertain whether or not it’s a trustworthy program? Well, you have come to the right place. We’ve created this unbiased Speccy review just for you.
Developed by Piriform, Speccy comes with an executable file that is normally 14.04 MB in size. Now, what can Speccy do? It basically provides in-depth information about a PC’s hardware, all from within an intuitive interface. It gives the name of the processor in your PC, the information about your RAM, as well as the total size of your hard drive.
Aside from that, there is more information that Speccy provides. Whether it’s about your graphics card, processor, operating system, or other hardware components installed, Speccy has got you covered.
The Pros and Cons of Speccy
Speccy may have everything that you’d ask from a system information utility. However, it also has its own fair share of downsides. We’ve listed down some of its pros and cons below.
Pro Tip: Run a dedicated PC optimization tool to get rid of incorrect settings, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats that can cause system issues or slow performance.
- Easy to download and install
- Provides detailed information for various components
- Shows a summary of information
- Results can be printed or saved as TXT files
- Can be downloaded or run as a portable program
- Unable to generate reports of certain sections
- Updates are less frequent
Is Speccy a Virus?
To know whether or not Speccy is a virus or a legitimate process, you need to check the location of the executable file. If it is located under the Speccy folder in the Program Files location, then it is legitimate.
To verify this, go to Task Manager. For a more detailed guide, follow these steps:
- Open Task Manager.
- Go to View and select Columns.
- Next, navigate to Image Path Name and add a location column. If you find any suspicious directories, then investigate further.
Another way to identify a bad process is to go to Microsoft Process Explorer. Here’s how:
- Launch Process Explorer.
- Go to Options and activate Check Legends.
- Next, navigate to View and choose Columns.
- Add Verified Signer as a column.
If the status of a certain process is Unable to Verify, then take the time to inspect the process. It is noteworthy that not all verified and legitimate Windows processes are verified, but the same goes for the bad ones.
Common Speccy-Related Errors
Whether it’s legitimate or not, Speccy sometimes triggers error messages to appear. Some of them are:
- speccy.exe Application Error.
- speccy.exe failed.
- speccy.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
- speccy.exe is not a valid Win32 application.
- speccy.exe is not running.
- speccy.exe not found.
- Cannot find speccy.exe.
- Error starting program: speccy.exe.
- Faulting Application Path: speccy.exe.
Is It Safe to Remove the Speccy.exe File?
There is no reason to delete a safe and legitimate speccy.exe process. Doing so will only affect the system performance of your PC and some other associated files.
If you are not sure about the file that you are deleting, just leave it as is and let an anti-malware tool do its job and scan your PC for any malicious entities. If it flags the speccy.exe file as harmful, then it will remove the file for you.
Now, if Speccy is not a virus and you want to remove it, you can do so by using the Control Panel.
Here’s a step by step guide:
- Go to the Start menu.
- Into the search field, input Control Panel.
- Navigate to Programs.
- Select Add or Remove Programs.
- Find Speccy on the list of installed programs and click on it.
- Hit Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to completely remove Speccy.
Thoughts on Speccy
Speccy is a program that can be recommended to anyone who is in need of detailed information about their computer. However, its lack of updates may be discouraging. Nonetheless, it’s worth giving a try.
Before you download Speccy, we suggest that you optimize your PC first using a PC repair tool. This will get rid of any junk and unnecessary files that are causing speed problems and are consuming a huge chunk of your hard disk space.
What can you say about Speccy? Share your thoughts below!