OptiSpeed is classified as a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that pretends to be useful, where in fact it’s not. This program promises to optimize and improve your system’s performance, but it does not really possess any true value.
This program is often obtained or downloaded by accident. While some get it when visiting a malicious website, others acquire it after installing free software tools from sites like Softonic. Some also obtain it through adware, such as fake security alerts.
So, what can OptiSpeed do?
The moment it is installed on your computer, this fake program performs a scan. It will then show results stating that a lot of issues have been detected. To be able to fix the problems or remove any alleged malware entities, you must purchase OptiSpeed’s pro version.
Pro Tip: Run a dedicated PC optimization tool to get rid of incorrect settings, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats that can cause system issues or slow performance.
Obviously, the real motive of the program is only to increase revenue. The truth is there are no issues or problems that must be fixed. The program is just trying to give you a reason to make a purchase. It only wants to trick you and steal your money. Once you upgrade to a paid version, what you’ll get is a program that has features that don’t work.
With what this PUP can do, it is just right that you take immediate OptiSpeed removal steps to prevent more issues.
How to Remove OptiSpeed
To remove OptiSpeed, follow the instructions below:
Step 1: Uninstall OptiSpeed using Control Panel
Start by uninstalling the PUP from your system. To do this, you need to use Control Panel. Make sure you are logged on with administrator privilege to access the utility’s full features.
Here’s how to use Control Panel to uninstall OptiSpeed:
- Press the Windows + X keys to launch the Quick Access menu.
- Select Control Panel.
- Go to Programs and select Uninstall a Program.
- Look for OptiSpeed from the list of installed programs.
- Click Uninstall Program.
- When prompted to confirm, hit OK.
Step 2: Scan your PC in Safe Mode using an Anti-Malware tool
When troubleshooting a problem on your PC, it is helpful to start your OS in Safe Mode with Networking. This will make it easy for you to diagnose the problem and fix it.
Here’s a detailed guide on what to do:
- Close all active programs on your PC.
- Go to the Start menu, click the Power button, and select Restart. While doing so, hold down the Shift key.
- Next, a new window will pop up presenting you a list of troubleshooting options. Click Troubleshoot.
- Select Advanced Options.
- Choose Startup Settings and hit Restart.
- At this point, your Windows computer should restart. You will then be prompted to pick from a list of options. Select Safe Mode with Networking by pressing 5.
- Windows will now start in Safe Mode. Now, proceed with running a quick malware or virus scan using an anti-malware tool.
- Do not restart your PC while it’s still scanning.
- Once the problematic programs have been identified, remove them.
How to Protect Your PC
With all the threats that exist today, you can never be too relaxed. Make sure you take protective measures to ensure your PC is safe against PUPs and other similar attacks.
Chrome: Enable the Safe Browsing Feature
Google Chrome has this Dangerous Site Protection feature you can take advantage of. With it enabled, you will be exposed to lesser risks while browsing the web. Whenever you visit a website that is suspicious, it will display notifications and warning messages.
To enable Chrome’s Safe Browsing feature, follow these steps:
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Into the address bar, input chrome://settings/ and hit Enter.
- Click Show Advanced Settings.
- Scroll down to the Privacy section and tick the box next to the Protect you and your device from dangerous sites option.
- Restart Google Chrome.
Internet Explorer: Enable SmartScreen Filter
The latest Internet Explorer versions are equipped with a feature called SmartScreen Filter. It detects phishing sites and protects you from downloading malicious entities like the OptiSpeed PUP.
To enable the SmartScreen Filter, follow the steps below:
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Go to Tools.
- Choose SmartScreen Filter.
- Click Turn on SmartScreen Filter.
- Restart Internet Explorer.
Mozilla Firefox: Enable Phishing and Malware Protection
Like Google Chrome and Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox has a built-in protection feature that gives warnings when you visit a website that contains phishing content.
To enable the Phishing and Malware Protection feature on Mozilla Firefox, refer to the steps below:
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Click Open Menu.
- Choose Options.
- Click Security.
- Tick the boxes next to the following items:
- Warn me when sites try to install add-ons.
- Block reported attack sites.
- Block reported web forgeries.
You can always take preventive measures to prevent potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) like OptiSpeed from wreaking havoc on your system. Enable the built-in security features on your browser and always think before you click.
It also pays to regularly scan your PC for any malicious files that disguise as system junk. For this, you can use a PC repair tool to automate the process of scanning all folders and files on your PC.
Vic is a search engine optimization expert, helping to optimize websites to make them more user-friendly. He’s been in the industry for more than 10 years, and his work speaks a lot about his experience and expertise in the IT and digital marketing fields.
Vic is the one in charge of keeping our website running smoothly and efficiently, to make sure that our readers have a wonderful experience while visiting the website. He’s good at troubleshooting errors and fixing Windows issues that come up either when playing games or working on the computer.
Vic is a certified gadget freak who feels the need to surround himself with cutting-edge technology. And this passion has helped him a lot in creating content that informs and guides users on using and troubleshooting the latest technology. He is an avid researcher who is always hungry for the latest news and updates on the most cutting-edge technology.