Do you want to convert your Blu-rays, CDs, and DVDs into media files that can be watched on your PC? Then HandBrake can help you with that. And it can do more! We’ll find out more about this software application in this quick HandBrake review.
HandBrake is a professional video encoder that allows you to optimize media files for the web. It also lets you organize and compress all your GoPro videos. With this software, you can easily compress video sizes, change file formats, crop images, add subtitles, and reduce video quality.
The Pros and Cons of Handbrake
Do you think HandBrake is worth downloading? Here are some of its pros and cons to help you make a better decision:
Pro Tip: Scan your PC for performance issues, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats
that can cause system issues or slow performance.
- It is open-source, meaning it is free for download.
- It gives users complete control over converting videos, allowing them to set the height and width and choose a framerate and codec.
- It can process BluRays.
- It offers presets for iOS and Android devices, making it easier for users to adjust the settings accordingly.
- It can be challenging to use for a beginner because it has advanced settings.
- Its user interface is not that user-friendly.
How to Use HandBrake?
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to use HandBrake to compress a video:
- Install HandBrake. Make sure you download and install the version that is compatible with your operating system.
- Launch HandBrake.
- Load the video file that you wish to convert. Do this by clicking the Open Source button.
- Choose the file that you want to compress and hit Open.
- Next, select a destination where you want to save the transcoded video file.
- Click Browse.
- In the Save As section, give the transcoded file an appropriate file name. This way, you can easily identify which file version is compressed. Select a destination where you want to save it and hit Save.
- Select Format MP4 file.
- Navigate to the Video tab.
- Under the Video Encoder section, choose H.264.
- Go to Encoder Options and select High Profile.
- Under Framerate, select Same as Source.
- If you want to change the framerate, select 25 for PAL and 29.97 for NTSC. Be sure that you click the Constant Framerate button to guarantee compatibility.
- Input an Average Bitrate for the video. It would be safe to choose 5000, unless you want a higher video quality that takes longer to upload.
- Go to the Dimensions tab.
- Change Anamorphic to None and Modulus to 16. Make sure to tick the Keep Aspect Ratio option, too. Go to the stepper section and change Width from 1920 to 1280.
- Navigate to the Audio tab and choose AAC (ffmpeg) Codec. Select 48.000 Hz Samplerate. Also, choose Stereo for Mixdown. As for your audio bitrate, select 320.
- Click the Start button. Wait until the video has been completely converted and encoded.
- HandBrake will notify you once the conversion is done.
- Open your video file in your preferred video player to check if it looks good.
The Bottom Line
In conclusion, HandBrake is indeed a powerful tool that can be downloaded and used for free. It provides users complete control in converting videos. However, beginners might struggle with using it initially. Then again, it still makes a great alternative for paid software applications.
To ensure your PC performs efficiently while using HandBrake, optimize it using a PC repair tool. A PC repair tool will remove junk files and free up system space to give room for more important processes.
If you want to guarantee that your video plays without errors, make sure that your video drivers are updated. Install a driver updater tool that will take care of installing driver updates for you. Most importantly, run regular malware scans using an anti-malware tool to keep your computer free of malware entities that may affect your entire experience with HandBrake.
What do you think about HandBrake? Let us know your thoughts below!