With new strains of malware entities introduced each day, it has become increasingly difficult to distinguish a legitimate program from a potentially unwanted one. It’s no surprise why more and more people look for resources online, hoping to find a good one that can help them identify fake from real.
Now, we’re assuming that the reason why you’re here is because you also need information about a certain PUP – the Falco Software toolbar.
What is the Falco Software Toolbar?
Is the Falco Software toolbar a virus? The answer is no. It is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that often comes bundled with other freeware. Once installed, it will change your browser’s current home page to trovi.com and add the Falco toolbar.
An extension supported by many known browsers like Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer, this PUP also has other features that modify the custom settings of your browser. It even modifies the load time threshold and places a lock file within your browser to prevent some anti-malware programs from getting rid of it.
Pro Tip: Scan your PC for performance issues, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats
that can cause system issues or slow performance.
Can You Manually Remove the Falco Software Toolbar?
So, how do you manually remove the Falco Software toolbar? There are a few ways to remove this annoying PUP. These include the following:
Method #1: Use Programs and Features
The Falco Software toolbar is generally added to the list of Programs and Features on your computer. If you want to have it uninstalled, go to Programs and Features and delete it.
- Press the Windows + X keys together.
- Select Programs and Features.
- Find the Falco Software toolbar from the list. Click on it and hit Uninstall.
Method #2: Use the Uninstaller.exe file
Most programs installed on your PC are coupled with an executable file named uninstall.exe or something similar. Find this file in the same location where the Falco Software toolbar is stored and use it to remove the annoying Falco Software PUP.
For a detailed guide on what to do, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to the installation folder of the Falco Software toolbar.
- Locate the file named uninstall.exe.
- Double-click on it and follow the on-screen prompts.
Method #3: Use System Restore
In case you don’t know, your Windows computer has a utility that allows you to restore your system to a previously working state, perhaps to a time when the Falco Software toolbar was not yet an issue. It’s called System Restore.
Here’s how to use System Restore:
- Make sure all the active programs and files are closed.
- Right-click on the Windows menu and select Properties.
- In the window that appears, click System Protection.
- Choose System Restore.
- At this point, the System Restore window will pop up. Click Choose a different restore point.
- Hit Next.
- Choose a date and time from the list and tap Next.
- Click Finish to confirm your choice of restore point.
- Hit Yes to confirm again.
Method #4: Use an anti-malware program
Nowadays, potentially unwanted programs easily infect computers because they are spread by Trojans and other malicious entities. To ensure they don’t penetrate your machine, make sure you have an effective anti-malware program installed.
To further boost your computer’s security and improve its performance, scan your machine with a PC repair tool. This will remove any unnecessary files that may be used by malware to initiate attacks or send out PUPs.
Method #5: Edit the Registry
Once a program is installed on your computer, your system will automatically save its information and settings in the Registry. Make sure you delete everything associated with the program by following the steps below:
- Press and hold the Windows + R This will open the Run utility.
- Into the search field, input regedit and hit OK.
- Go to this location and find the Falco Software toolbar:
- Double-click on UninstallString and copy the Value Data.
- Press and hold the Windows + R keys again to open the Run utility.
- Paste the value into the text field and hit OK.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to uninstall the toolbar.
If you find the Falco Software toolbar installed on your PC, delete it right away. Otherwise, it may cause more problems in the long run. You can always start with the first method in this guide. If it does not work, try other methods we have listed until you find one that works.