When it comes to performance, the popularity of Macs and iPhones can be rather unbeatable. However, some errors discourage users from using these devices, such as random errors popping up on iTunes. One is the iTunes error code 42110, which comes with the error message “An unknown error occurred (-42110).”
Regardless of the device you are using, we’ll try to help you solve the iTunes 42110 error message. So just sit back as you go through this article with potential fixes to the error 42110 on iTunes.
When Does the iTunes Error 42110 Occur?
ITunes users reportedly encountered the error 42110 in random instances, such as:
- When using a new account to launch iTunes
- When transferring a certain iTunes library from one computer to another
- When downloading movie rentals from the iTunes Store
How to Resolve the iTunes Error 42110
The error 42110 on iTunes is often associated with authorization problems. It is for that reason why we suggest downloading and installing the most recent iTunes version to resolve the problem.
Pro Tip: Scan your Mac for performance issues, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats
that can cause system issues or slow performance.
Follow the steps below and find out if it helps:
Method #1: Install and Download the Current iTunes Version.
- To check your iTunes version, launch iTunes.
- Navigate to the menu bar and select Help > Check for Updates.
- Let the on-screen instructions guide you in the installation of the latest iTunes version.
iTunes is free to download, so you need not worry about the costs. Now, if you are still having the same problem, you can try the next method.
Method #2: Delete the SC Info Folder.
If you have already updated your iTunes but the problem still persists, then you might be able to resolve the problem by deleting the SC Info folder. It’s a hidden folder, so you need to unhide it first before deleting it.
To erase the SC Info folder on a Mac, follow the steps below:
- Close iTunes and other applications that are open.
- Open Finder.
- Navigate to Go > Go to Folder. You can also press CMD + Shift + G to open the Go to Folder.
- In the search box, enter /Users/Shared/SC and hit Go.
- If you haven’t set Finder to display in column view, change it by going to View > as Columns.
- Right-click on the SC Info folder and select File > Move to Trash.
- Launch the iTunes app and go to Store.
- Click Check for available downloads.
- Wait for any downloads to finish.
- Select Store > Authorize.
- Enter your account credentials and hit the Authorize button.
But of course, iTunes does not only run on Apple devices. It also works on Windows, too! To delete the SC Info folder on a Windows Vista or Windows 7, follow these instructions:
- Go to File Explorer.
- Navigate to the View tab.
- On the right-hand part of the window, tick the box next to the Hidden Items option.
- Next, enter the C:\ProgramData\Apple Computer\iTunes path into the address bar.
- From the results, right-click on the SC Info folder.
- Click Delete.
- Restart your computer.
- Open the iTunes app again.
- Go to Store > Check for available downloads.
- Wait for the rental to finish downloading.
- Go to Store > Authorize.
- Enter your account credentials and click Authorize.
Method #3: Update Critical System Settings.
Sometimes, the iTunes error 42110 appears when there are critical system settings in a Windows computer that require updates. Hence, you might have to deal with your computer’s Registry data to fix the problem.
Take note, though. Modifying the Registry is quite risky and it can cause damage to your operating system if you don’t do it correctly. So before you proceed, it is recommended that you back up your computer first.
To access your computer’s Registry, do the following:
- Click the Start or Windows button.
- In the search box, enter Command Prompt and press Enter.
- Right-click on Command Prompt.
- Select Run as administrator.
- There will be a list of commands and operations displayed. Make changes to your computer’s Registry as needed.
- Press Enter.
There are also times when a corrupt Registry triggers the iTunes error 42110. To fix the problem, do these:
- Download and install PCFresher System Utilities.
- Run the program.
- Navigate to the Registry Repair section.
- Click the Start button.
- Wait until the process is finished.
If you are running an Apple device, have updated your iTunes version, and deleted the SC Info folder already but still seeing the iTunes error 42110, you might have to change your computer’s date and time settings. Normally, the date and time are set to update automatically, but if they aren’t, then there are chances that the error 42110 will appear.
To set the date and time to update on an automatic basis, follow these steps:
- Go to System Preferences > Date and Time.
- Make sure the Set date and time automatically option is checked.
- Navigate to the Time Zone section and choose the appropriate time zone.
- Click OK.
Method #4: Contact iTunes Technical Support.
If you did the first three methods but the issue persists, then get it touch with the iTunes Technical Support team for further assistance. They can guide you on the steps to take to fix the problem.
You may contact their team here.
iTunes error 42110 may not cause serious complications to your computer, but when it shows, it can cause you to become less productive as you’ll need to find ways to fix it. So to spare you time, we’ve already listed some of the most effective methods to fix the error in this post. It’s up to you which method to try first.
To keep these sorts of errors from popping up, we suggest that you download and install Outbyte Mac Repair. This tool allows you to run a quick scan to help you identify and fix problems that affect your Mac.
Do you know other ways to resolve the iTunes error 42110? We’d like to know! Comment them below.
Vic is a search engine optimization expert, helping to optimize websites to make them more user-friendly. He’s been in the industry for more than 10 years, and his work speaks a lot about his experience and expertise in the IT and digital marketing fields.
Vic is the one in charge of keeping our website running smoothly and efficiently, to make sure that our readers have a wonderful experience while visiting the website. He’s good at troubleshooting errors and fixing Windows issues that come up either when playing games or working on the computer.
Vic is a certified gadget freak who feels the need to surround himself with cutting-edge technology. And this passion has helped him a lot in creating content that informs and guides users on using and troubleshooting the latest technology. He is an avid researcher who is always hungry for the latest news and updates on the most cutting-edge technology.