Mojave is probably one of the best iterations of the macOS. However, it’s still far from perfect. This is why Apple regularly rolls out updates for the Mojave OS itself, as well as the applications and programs it comes with.
The updates rolled out for Mojave computers are usually available for download via App Store or on Apple’s website. Of course, you have the option to install it right away, though you can also choose to delay the update a bit.
Unfortunately, some Mac users experience problems with macOS updates. One notorious problem that’s been giving them a hard time is that their computers won’t install Security Update 2019-001 10.13.6.
While others see the update marked as waiting to be downloaded and can’t do anything about it, some just cannot proceed with installing the update itself no matter how many times they try.
Pro Tip: Scan your Mac for performance issues, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats
that can cause system issues or slow performance.
How to Resolve Security Update Problems on Your Mac
Update problems may seem hopeless, but you need not worry a lot because they can be fixed. If you find yourself in a situation where you cannot install Security Update 2019-001 10.13.6 on your Mac, try the solutions below:
Solution #1: Delete Everything in the MacOS Installer Data Folder.
Some Mac users were able to install the Security Update by first deleting the contents of the macOS Installer Data folder. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Go to Macintosh HD.
- Open the macOS Installer Data folder.
- Visit the App Store or Apple’s website.
- Download the Security Update 2019-001 10.13.6 again.
- Switch off your Mac.
- Restart it while holding the Options key and the Power button at the same time.
- Select Macintosh HD as the startup device.
- Install the Security Update package you downloaded.
- Wait for the process to complete.
Solution #2: Free Up Disk Space.
As with other updates, you need a certain amount of hard drive space to successfully download and install Security Update 2019-001 10.13.6. If your primary hard drive is already full, then it is likely that you’ll encounter problems with downloading or installing the update.
To free up disk space, you can manually check every folder you have on your drive. And then, delete anything you think and feel are no longer needed.
Now if you want to do the task the quick and easy way, you can download and install a reliable Mac repair and cleaning tool. Just let the tool scan and delete any junk files and cache it sees in your system while you continue working on your tasks.
Solution #3: Seek Apple Support.
If you think you’ve done everything in your power but Security Update 2019-001 10.13.6 still won’t install, then you should probably seek help from experts.
Take your Mac to the nearest Apple Center and have an Apple genius diagnose the problem. It is possible that an underlying hardware problem is keeping you from installing the update.
How to Resolve Security Update Problems on Windows
Like on Macs, you can easily resolve Security Update problems on Windows. Simply try any of the solutions below:
Solution #1: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter.
If a certain Windows 10/11 component is not behaving or working the way it is supposed to be, then fix it using the built-in troubleshooting utility of Windows 10/11: Windows Update Troubleshooter. Take note, though, that if you decide to run it, make sure you know what specific component is malfunctioning. You’ll need this information in the process.
This solution is applicable to Windows updates. If an available update is behaving strangely, the first action you should take is to run Windows Update Troubleshooter.
Here’s how to run Windows Update Troubleshooter:
- Go to Control Panel.
- Select Troubleshooting.
- Click View All.
- In the list of options, select Windows Update.
- Hit Next.
- Follow the on-screen prompts along the way.
- The Troubleshooter will attempt to identify any possible problems with Windows Update. It will also try to fix them. Once the Troubleshooter is done fixing your problem, restart your computer.
- Now, attempt to download and install the security update again.
Solution #2: Check If All Services Required to Run the Update Are Running.
You may encounter Windows Update problems if one or more services required to run the update is/are disabled or not running. To correct the problem, you simply need to enable all Windows Update-related services.
Follow the steps below for a detailed guide on how to enable Windows Update-related services:
- Hold down the Windows and R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- In the text field, input services.msc.
- Hit Enter.
- Find Windows Update Service and right-click on it.
- Select Properties.
- Under Startup Type, select Automatic.
- If the service is disabled, click Start to start it.
- Hit Apply and click OK to save the changes.
- Repeat steps 3 to 7, but instead of finding Windows Update Service, look for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and Cryptographic Service.
- Restart your computer.
Solution #3: Use Command Prompt.
If the first two solutions did not work for you, try to fix the problem using an elevated Command Prompt. To do that, follow the steps below:
- Right-click on the Start menu.
- Select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Input the commands below in the command line. Make sure you hit Enter after each command. Wait for each command to be fully executed before entering the next one.
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
- ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
- net start wuauserv
- net start CryptSvc
- net start bits
- net start msiserver
- After executing all the commands, close Command Prompt and restart your computer.
Security Update problems can be quite alarming. But knowing there are possible fixes can perhaps put your mind at ease. Whether you are using a Windows or Mac device, we hope you were able to find a solution above.
Let us know which solution worked for you. Comment it below!
Vic is a tech enthusiast who loves to be up-to-date with the latest and greatest technology in the world. He creates content that educates and helps users with their tech-related questions. Vic manages our website to ensure that our readers have a seamless experience while browsing. He excels in troubleshooting errors and resolving Windows issues for gaming and work purposes.