Even if you’re not an audiophile, you might know the frustration of not being able to turn up the volume on your Mac without getting distorted sound. Whether it’s for a movie night or a business presentation, the built-in speakers on your Mac may not be enough. That’s why many people choose to get external speakers to transform their computer into an ultimate entertainment system.
Unfortunately, even the best external speakers like Bose Soundlink experience problems, too. Sometimes, it won’t connect when switched on. There are also times when it does not pair.
Nothing to worry, though. There are ways to fix the problem. We created this guide to help you resolve some of the most common problems associated with Bose Soundlink so you can enjoy the best listening experience. Listen up!
There are many reasons why Bose Soundlink does not automatically pair with or connect to your Mac. However, regardless of what’s causing your problem, know that you can easily fix it.
Pro Tip: Scan your Mac for performance issues, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats
that can cause system issues or slow performance.
Follow the steps below on how to connect Bose Soundlink to a Mac, and you should be all set for a great listening experience:
- Be sure your Mac is not currently connected to or paired with another Bluetooth audio device. If you are using a Mac-branded Bluetooth mouse or keyboard, you need not disconnect it.
- Turn on Bose Soundlink.
- Press and hold the Bluetooth button for five seconds. After that, the Bluetooth indicator will fade on and off every second. It will continue in that state for 20 minutes or until a Bluetooth connection is established.
- On your Mac, click the Apple menu and click System Preferences.
- Navigate to the Internet & Wireless Select Bluetooth.
- The Bluetooth menu should pop up. Search for any available Bluetooth device by clicking the Set up new device button or the +
- The Bluetooth setup assistant will then pop up. Select Bose Soundlink Wireless Mobile Speaker.
- Click If you are asked for a pin code, use 0000.
- If pairing is successful, click Quit to close the Bluetooth setup assistant.
- Next, click Advanced in the Bluetooth If the Bluetooth menu is not available, do steps 3 to 5.
- Select Accept Incoming Audio Requests or uncheck Reject Incoming Audio Requests. Click OK to continue.
- Click Back to go back to the System Preferences
- Go to the Hardware section and select
- Navigate to the Output tab and select Bose Soundlink Wireless Mobile Speaker.
- Close the menu by clicking the red x
- Check if the Bluetooth connection has been successfully established by playing an audio file.
Some Mac users are complaining that Bose Soundlink won’t stay connected to their computer via Bluetooth. The device disconnects itself from their Macs whenever they try to play sounds. They tried resetting their Macs and the speaker, but nothing worked.
Well, the best way to resolve the problem is to follow these instructions:
- Shut down your Mac.
- Hold down the Power button while pressing the Shift + Control + Option buttons for ten seconds.
- Release the buttons and switch on your Mac.
- Connect Bose Soundlink again and check if the problem is fixed.
The four steps above will reset your power management settings, and hopefully, fix the problem.
If your Bose Soundlink speaker still does not establish a connection even when powered on, there are a few angles you can have a look into.
- Speaker Settings – If your Bose speaker is not used within the first 14 days since it was bought, it will automatically enter into protection mode. To correct this setting, plug the speaker into an AC outlet and try establishing a Bluetooth connection again.
- Bad Battery – If you have fully charged your speaker, then chances are you have a bad battery and you might need to replace it.
- Bad Charge – Another possible reason why you are unable to establish a connection to your Bose Soundlink speaker is the charge. Be sure that your speaker’s battery is sufficiently charged before establishing a Bluetooth connection.
Does the Bluetooth indicator of your Bose Soundlink speaker tell you that a connection is established but you cannot hear anything when you play an audio file? Here are a few possible problems:
- Issues with Device Connection
Even if Bose Soundlink is suggesting that you have already established a connection with your Mac, the truth is, it might still be unpaired. Therefore, you should check your Mac’s Bluetooth settings and double-check if you have really paired it with your external speaker.
- Issues with the Speaker Settings
Another possible problem could be your Bose Soundlink’s volume has been set too low or mute. Adjust the volume to verify if it is really the problem. If the volume of your Bose speaker is set to an audible level, check your Mac’s volume and make sure it is correct.
You already did everything, but you seem to be unable to pair your Bose Soundlink speaker with your Mac.
Fret not. Here’s what you should do:
- Check if you are running the most recent software on your Bose Soundlink speaker.
It is important that your Bose Soundlink speaker run the most recent software. You can verify this at Bose’s support center.
If the software is up-to-date, you might have to perform a complete product reset. It can be easily done by holding the mute button for 10 seconds. After that, press the Power button to switch on your speaker. That’s it!
- Make sure the speaker is near your Mac.
Bose Soundlink speakers are generally designed to operate within a 30-feet range. Their performance can be affected if there are any metals or walls around the device. If you want to establish a connection with your speaker, move it closer to your Mac and keep it away from walls.
Having a quality set of speakers, like Bose Soundlink, can enhance your Mac listening experience. Whether you need background noise for work or music for a party, Bose Soundlink is designed to deliver. It’s normal to encounter occasional issues, and with the right guidance, these can usually be resolved.
For general system maintenance, consider using tools like Mac repair app. Such tools can help identify and resolve problems that might be slowing down your Mac, as well as manage storage space for optimal system performance.
Have you encountered other issues with your Bose Soundlink speakers? We’re interested in hearing about your experiences and troubleshooting tips.