If one is busy doing productive things, being bothered by texts on your phone is annoying, right? It not only wastes your time but it will also distract you from what you are currently doing, making you lose focus. However, what if we say there is a way to respond to these texts without picking up your phone. How? If you are are using a Mac laptop, this is definitely for you.
Yes, it is true that you can send and receive text messages on Mac. And the best thing about sending SMS on Mac is that typing on a keyboard is more convenient.
How to Send SMS from Mac to Another iPhone
Technically, there are two different types of texts you can send or receive while using your Mac – the normal messages that are sent via an iPhone and the so-called iMessages that are sent through Apple servers.
Now, we will teach you how to send SMS from a computer. To send an SMS from your Mac to somebody who has an iPhone, here are the steps to take:
- Click on the Messages icon in the dock. It is the speech bubble colored blue.
- Sign in using your iPhone’s Apple ID.
- Click the new message icon. It is the square icon located beside the search box.
- In the To: field, type in the email address or the phone number of the person you wish to contact. If you use his email address, make sure it is the one he is using for iMessage.
- Press Return/Enter.
- Then again, if you have already synced your Contacts file to your Mac, you can skip steps 4 and 5 and just click on the + symbol to import your
- You can easily identify your friends who own an iPhone because their number will have a blue box. That means they will be receiving your message as an iMessage and not as a normal text message. iMessages can be distinguished right away because they are normally sent to your Apple ID email address and not your phone number.
- At this point, type your message in the iMessage field.
- Once you are done typing, press Return to send.
How to Send SMS from Mac to Someone Who Doesn’t Have an iPhone
What if your friend doesn’t have an iPhone? Will you be able to send an SMS to him? Will he be able to receive and read it? The answer is yes. Simply follow the steps below:
- Make sure you are logged into iCloud on both your iPhone and Mac using the same Apple ID.
- On your Mac, go to System Preferences > iCloud.
- Log in using your Apple login details.
- On your iPhone, check and verify the Apple ID account you are using. To do this, go to Settings > iCloud.
- Now, open Messages on your Mac.
- Go to Settings > Messages on your iPhone and select Text Messages Forwarding. You should see your Mac listed here with an on-off slider beside it. To enable your Mac to receive and send text messages, turn on the slider.
- On your Mac, you will be prompted to enter a code to enable iPhone text messages to be sent and received on your Mac as well. Input the code and wait for the verification success message.
- Once verification is successful, you can now send SMS texts on your Mac!
You Are Good to Go!
Voila! You are all set. Who knew that it was that easy? You can now reply to an SMS using your Mac whenever or wherever you are. No need to connect to your mobile phone network. As long as you have an Internet connection, sending an SMS is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
If you’re running into errors and your system is suspiciously slow, your computer needs some maintenance work. Download Outbyte PC Repair for Windows, Outbyte Antivirus for Windows, or Outbyte MacRepair for macOS to resolve common computer performance issues.
Fix computer troubles by downloading the compatible tool for your device.