Did you accidentally delete an email that you were reading on the Mail app on your iPad? Or maybe you deleted the email and changed your mind? It happens. Most of us have been there at some point. That’s probably the reason you’ve reached this page. Fortunately, we’ve got the tools to help you.
What to do if you accidentally archive emails on iPad? First, stop panicking because you might do something worse. Don’t worry if you can’t immediately figure out how to recover accidentally deleted emails on iPad. That’s what we’re here for. This guide will help you with that.
Basically, the Mail app is compatible with most email service providers today, including Gmail, Yahoo, iCloud, Outlook, and other. The default Mail app comes preinstalled with your iPad (and iOS devices as well) and you can use it to connect with just about any email account you have, regardless of the email service you are using. You don’t need to install the individual email apps from the App Store because that would be messy. Imagine having Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook, and other individual email apps installed on your iPad. With the Mail app, you can access all these emails in a single app.
This article will provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to get back accidentally deleted emails on the iPad, and provide you with additional tips and tricks to prevent similar situations in the future. This is particularly useful for users who deal with a lot of emails every day, where accidentally deleting emails is a regular occurrence.
Pro Tip: Scan your Mac for performance issues, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats
that can cause system issues or slow performance.
How to Recover Accidentally Deleted Emails on iPad From the Trash Folder
The easiest way to recover deleted emails on the Mail app is by accessing the Trash folder. This is where all deleted emails go. The steps that we will discuss below are going to apply to any email service provider you might be using within the Mail app. Whether you’re using Gmail or Yahoo, the process will be the same.
But depending on the service, the accidentally deleted emails may or may not be stashed under the same folder name. If you can’t find the folder mentioned, look for the equivalent folder on your email provider.
For the purpose of this tutorial, we decided to use Gmail since it is the most popular email service today. It has nearly 2 billion users, allowing it to dominate the industry.
To recover deleted email, follow the instructions below:
- On your iPad, open the Mail app on the home screen, then tap the email account under Mailboxes.
- Tap on Trash or Bin, depending on your regional settings. If you’re using a different email service provider, the folder might be under a different name. If you don’t see the Trash folder, try looking for the Junk folder. Check both folders to be sure. Another option is to click the All Mail to see a list of all emails on your account. If the email you want to retrieve was deleted some time ago, you might have some difficulty locating it in the All Mail folder, so the Trash folder is still your best bet.
- In the case of Gmail, all your deleted emails are stored here in the Trash folder. Keep in mind that deleted emails are totally different from archived emails and these are stored in a different folder.
- In the Trash/Bin folder, tap on Edit.
- Go through the list of all the deleted emails and choose the ones that you want to recover.
- Once selected, tap on Move.
- In the next menu, choose where you want to move the recovered emails to. If you deleted the emails from the inbox, just tap on Inbox to restore the email in that folder. If not, choose another folder.
These are all the steps you need to do to get back your lost or deleted emails. After doing the steps above, you’ll find your restored emails exactly where they used to be. The process on how to restore archived emails on iPad are the same, you just need to look into a different folder.
However, waiting too long to attempt to recover a deleted email might result in some retrieval issues because they may be gone for good. The amount of time emails spend in the Trash folder varies per service provider, but you should try to restore your deleted emails as soon as possible.
How to Get Back Accidentally Deleted Emails on iPad by Shaking
If you accidentally deleted an important email a few seconds ago? If you still got the Mail app open, you don’t have to go through all these steps again. There is a neat little trick you can try to instantly recover a deleted mail within a second or two.
When you’ve deleted or archived any email by mistake, all you need to do is shake your device once to bring up the Undo Delete option. Tap on Undo to confirm your action and the deleted email will be instantly recovered. This also works for emails that have been archived.
Remember that you can only use this gesture as long as you haven’t closed the Mail app. If you have already closed the Mail app, then you can use the steps above instead.
Unfortunately, this method is only possible for small devices, such as iPhones. Although this would work on iPads as well, shaking a bigger device would be inconvenient. Plus, you might risk dropping your iPad while doing this gesture.
How to Recover Accidentally Deleted Emails on iPad Using Finger Gestures
If you don’t feel like shaking your iPad around because it is dangerous and awkward, you can try this cool trick instead.
- Swipe your three fingers to the left to Undo recent actions.
- You can also swipe your three fingers to the right to Redo the action.
Just like the shaking gesture, this trick would only work if the Mail app is open and the deletion happened recently. When you do the three-finger swipe gesture, no message or notification will pop up. But if the mailbox where you deleted the email is open, you will see immediately when the email is restored.