Are you encountering a flashing folder with a question mark on your screen? if yes, are you trying to reinstall the OS, trying to reformat the computer through the internet recovery process, or are you attempting to boot using the Alt+Cmd+R command? If yes, then what you’re experiencing is the internet recovery mode error code 2006f, and this error usually happens when there are other problems that affect the booting of your computer. This error can also happen when you’re booting via a public network. But don’t worry. This may look like serious, but it’s not as long as you know what to do. We have listed down here how to repair internet recovery mode error – 2006f on your Mac.
Fixing Error Code – 2006F
The first thing you have to do is to reset your Mac’s PRAM or NVRAM. PRAM or parameter random access memory is what old Macs use while NVRAM or non-volatile random access memory is what newer versions use. However, the steps in resetting PRAM and NVRAM are the same. To reset your PRAM or NVRAM, follow these steps:
- Shut down your computer.
- Turn it on and immediately press and hold Option + Command + P + R.
- Release the keys after about 20 seconds as your computer restarts. (If you are using Mac with the sounds on, you can release during the second chime but if you are using iMac Pro, you need to release the keys when you see the Apple logo appear and disappear for the second time.)
- Open system preferences after startup to adjust any settings you want to change.
You can also use Mac repair app, a third party tool, to optimize your RAM and improve your computer’s performance.
If your Mac is still experiencing the same error, you may also need to reset your System Management Controller or SMC. The SMC controls various low-level functions including battery and thermal management, responding to presses of the power button and the opening or closing of the display lid, keyboard backlighting, and ambient light sensing among others.
Resetting SMC is different for every Mac version. So before you take any steps, verify what model and year your computer was released to avoid more errors.
If you’re using a Mac notebook, check first if the battery is removable or not. If the battery can’t be removed, follow these steps:
- Go to Apple menu and choose Shut Down.
- After shutting down, press Shift-Control-Option and the power button all at the same time.
- Hold for 10 seconds and then release all keys.
- Press the power button again to start up your computer.
If you have a Mac notebook with a removable battery, follow these steps:
- Shut down your computer.
- Remove the battery.
- Then, press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds.
- Reinstall the battery that you removed earlier.
- Then press the power button again to boot up your computer.
If you’re using a Mac desktop, these are the steps you need to take to reset the SMC:
- Shut down the computer by going to the Apple Menu.
- Unplug the power cord after shutdown.
- Wait for 10-15 seconds.
- Plug the power cord back.
- Wait for 5-10 seconds before turning on your Mac.
For iMac Pro:
- Shut down your Mac.
- Press and hold power for 8 seconds.
- Release the power button and wait 5-10 seconds.
- Turn on your iMac Pro again by pressing the power button.
Still not working? Try clearing up some space on your computer by using Mac repair app to boost your Mac’s performance.