Computer threats can do a lot of things on your computer. They can damage files, slow your PC down, show messages you don’t really care about, create problems connecting to the network, and can take control of the whole system. Some viruses are designed to harm your computer by damaging initially functional programs, deleting important and unimportant files, and reformatting the hard drive. Most of these threats are viruses, but there’s another threat that everyone seems to know but nobody finds easy to combat—Trojan horses.
A Trojan is a form of malicious software or malware that looks legitimate but can take control of your entire computer system. It is created to damage, disrupt, steal, or inflict harmful action on your data or network.
One of the most common types of Trojan horses is Nmon.exe.
All About Nmon.exe
Nmon.exe is an executable file that is identified as an undesirable program due to shady processes running on the system. This type of file comes in a pack with a bigger application that can be harmful or even malicious. Nmon.exe as a threat can alter settings, disable or add features, files, or programs.
Pro Tip: Scan your PC for performance issues, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats
that can cause system issues or slow performance.
Is Nmon.exe a Virus?
No, it is not. It is a Trojan, another form of malicious software. Should Nmon.exe be removed? Not necessarily.
Here’s an indicator of whether or not you should remove Nmon.exe.
Nmon.exe is linked with OnMark 2000 Survey. If the file you have is actually related to this program, then its location path should be C:\Program Files\Viasoft\OnMark 2000 Survey\NMON.EXE. If you find your file having the same path, then it is safe to say that it is related to the program and not malicious. But if it is found in any other folder or location or simply cannot be located, then you should consider it a potentially undesirable and harmful element and you should look out for any malware traces or virus damage.
How to Remove Nmon.exe?
If you found the file in another location or if you had a hard time locating it on your computer, then you must have decided to delete it altogether. Here are steps to follow to remove Nmon.exe from the computer system:
- Go to the Start menu.
- Click on Control Panel.
- Search for Nmon.exe and any other unfamiliar programs.
- Select Uninstall.
Simply uninstalling the program may not get rid of the malware. To completely remove it from the system, follow the steps below:
- Reboot your computer in Safe Mode.
For Windows 7/XP:
Restart your computer. As soon as it starts booting, repeatedly tap F8. On the screen that appears, choose Safe Mode with Networking.
For Windows 8/8.1:
Go to the Start menu. Click on Control Panel, then System and Security. After that, tap on Administrative Tools, and then on System Configuration. Check Safe Boot option and click OK. Confirm by clicking on Restart in the pop-up menu.
For Windows 10:
Go to the Start menu, then click the Power button icon in the right corner. Press and hold the Shift key, and while still holding the same key, click the Restart option.
- Press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys at the same time.
- Go to the Processes tab and determine which ones are dangerous or are causing your PC harm.
- Right-click on each of them and select Open File Location. Scan the files.
- Once the folders wherein they are stored are open, end the processes that are infected.
- Delete the folders.
- Press the Start and R keys simultaneously.
- Type appwiz.cpl in the window that pops up. Click OK.
- In the Control Panel, choose suspicious programs then uninstall them.
- In the search field, type msconfig.
- Go to Startup then under it, uncheck all entries that have “Unknown” as manufacturer and those that look suspicious.
- Press the Start + R keys.
- Copy and paste the following:
- Hit OK.
- Into the search field, type Regedit.
- Once in, tap on Ctrl + F and type the name of the malware.
- Right-click and delete any entries that pop up with a similar name.
As with other Trojans, you must not let the nmon.exe Trojan stay long on your PC. The moment you are aware of its existence, take appropriate measures right away. You can begin with this guide.