Elevation_service.exe is a file needed by Google Chrome and Google Update to perform repair functions. Although it seems like an essential file, it sometimes triggers questionable errors and causes CPU usages to spike. But what is it exactly?
This file comes in-built with Google Chrome builds. Its primary purpose is associated with Google Chrome Recovery, which main function is to repair Google Update or Chrome Update when the algorithm notices that Chrome is no longer up-to-date.
Should Elevation_service.exe Be Removed?
Executable files like elevation_service.exe are essential as they help your computer with various processes. They contain step-by-step instructions that your computer follows to carry out specific instructions. Once an executable file is double-clicked, it will be launched and automatically sends the instructions required.
Unfortunately, many cybercriminals take advantage of these files and name malicious entities they create after legitimate executable files like elevation_service.exe. In this case, they should be removed.
Pro Tip: Run a dedicated PC optimization tool to get rid of incorrect settings, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats that can cause system issues or slow performance.
Now, the ultimate question is: Is the elevation_service.exe file on your PC harmful? How do you know if elevation_service.exe is a virus?
How to Know If Elevation_service.exe Is a Virus?
The legitimate elevation_service.exe file should be stored under the Chrome Application folder located in Program Files. A malicious version of the file often hides in all possible places you can think of.
Another way to know if the elevation_service.exe file on your PC is malicious is when it triggers error messages to show. Examples of these errors include:
- Elevation_service.exe Application Error
- Elevation.exe is not a valid Win32 application.
- Elevation_service.exe not found.
- Elevation_service.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
- Elevation_service.exe failed
If you are not sure whether the elevation_service.exe file on your PC is malicious or not, we highly discourage removing it. Deleting an entirely safe file can trigger problems with other applications and services, and affect your overall browsing experience.
To make sure no malicious files infect your PC, we highly recommend installing a third-party anti-malware tool. This way, any nefarious attempt will be blocked and stopped the moment it is detected.
How to Disable Google Chrome’s Elevation Service
Should you find the elevation_service.exe file on your PC useless, feel free to just disable it. Here’s how:
- Open the Run utility by pressing Windows + R.
- Into the text field, input services.msc and hit Enter.
- Now, a window with a list of all active services will appear. Locate Google Chrome Elevation Services, double-click on it to launch the Properties dialog.
- Go to Startup Type.
- Select Disabled and hit OK.
But again, we highly discourage disabling this service as it’s an important file needed for Google Update.
How to Remove a Problematic Elevation_service.exe File
If you are convinced that the elevation_service.exe file on your PC is a virus, remove it right away. Don’t worry because the process is pretty straightforward.
Simply follow these steps:
- Open File Explorer.
- Into the search field, input elevation_services.exe and hit Enter.
- If the file is located under the application folder of Google Chrome, do not delete it. Otherwise, proceed to the next step.
- Right-click on the problematic file and select Delete.
- You might be prompted to confirm your action. Click Yes.
- Alternatively, you may drag the malicious elevation_service.exe file to the Recycle Bin.
The elevation_service.exe is a file required to run certain processes associated with Google Chrome and Google Update. If you delete it, expect random errors to appear.
Then again, there are instances when cybercriminals take advantage of this file’s name and use it to disguise other malware components. If you ever come across a suspicious elevation_service.exe file, make sure you delete it right away.
Now that you know what the elevation_service.exe file can do, it is time that you optimize your PC for you to enjoy a seamless browsing experience. You may manually delete junk files by going to each system folder, or you may choose to automate the process to save time. For the latter option, you will need a reliable PC Repair tool, though.
Let us know your thoughts about this article. Comment below!