If you thought emails were the safest method of communicating without the risk of getting infected by viruses, think twice! On the contrary, emails are one of the most used channels to distribute malicious content. One is the Wetransfer virus.
Wetransfer virus is a campaign that uses the email platform to distribute malicious programs. The campaign involves showing an email notification that features links and file attachments that trigger the installation of the Kryptik Trojan. In an attempt to convince unsuspecting users into accessing the malicious content, emails come as purchase details or company letters claiming to contain sensitive documents, such as contracts, legal or financial documents. The email titles used are common to ensure that the user does not get suspicious.
The link that is supposedly meant to lead the user to bundled confidential documents generates an infectious download link titled ‘Our company profile as requested.’ Other users are led to the download link of Purchase Order_PDF.cab. Unsuspecting users begin the download not knowing that the file is executable and loaded with malicious content.
The Wetransfer service is legitimate and can be used for safety reasons. However, due to an influx of phishing campaigns using this service, it is now considered unsafe. Regardless, Wetransfer service does not prioritize security, which is why it is used by dubious developers.
Also, it is worth noting that the fake Wetransfer service can transport the virus in any form of file transfer links. This means opening any of the files and following through with the download link leads to Trojan infection. This also causes privacy issues as well as serious device security threats.
What Does Wetransfer Virus Do?
The virus involved in the Wetransfer email campaign is considered a banking malware targeting login credentials to sensitive sites and apps. This is a high-risk malware entity that can be programmed to demonstrate actions such as taking over the system or entirely damaging its functionality.
The Wetransfer email campaign usually consists of a logo, a banner, as well as other components that can make it look like a legitimate platform. The email contains a brief message giving the directive to download the attached file.
When users follow the link, they are redirected to the Wetransfer form page, which requests the target victims to fill in their information. This will help the perpetrators capture the user’s sensitive data. When done, the site will then mention something about an error in creating the password. It displays a message that states the following:
Click ‘Download images’ to view images
sent you some documents PDF
2 item, 768 KB in total ・ Will be deleted on 30 October, 2019
Our company profile as requested and Purchase Order.pdf
Get your files
To make sure our emails arrive, please add email@example.com to your contacts.
About WeTransfer ・ Help ・ Legal ・ Report this transfer as spam
The Wetransfer virus also employs high-quality graphical features and brands to mimic real cloud file-sharing services and to easily lure gullible users. The moment you fall onto the trap of this campaign, you must take action and remove the Wetransfer virus.
The Wetransfer service is so broad when it comes to virus distribution. It can even load your system with ransomware, a file locking malware which can lead to heavy financial losses.
The Wetransfer campaign is a serious syndicate such that some of its techniques have been noted by officials. It uses various platforms which makes it difficult for even the most powerful email security gateways to detect them as potentially dangerous.
How to Get Rid of the Wetransfer Virus?
Getting rid of Wetransfer virus can get complicated if you have already accessed the download link or file. Once the Wetransfer campaign manages to load your system with a virus such as banking malware, trojan, or another form of malicious programs, a serious malware removal procedure has to be implemented. The removal method must include a strong and reliable antivirus software utility.
Although the Wetransfer campaign platform might not be detected as malicious, up-to-date security software programs can stop the Trojan download. You also need to keep a strong PC optimizing utility to ensure that your system stays healthy all the time.
Before we share the removal process of the Wetransfer virus, let us start by helping you spot the difference between a phishing email and a legitimate one:
- Layout – A phishing email layout is usually different from the common ones. It differs in color and the capitalization of letters.
- Formality – Although claiming to be a formal and legitimate email, you can spot a few or more typos and grammatical errors in the text message.
- Domain link – The provided attachment leads to an unusual domain link that doesn’t represent the company it claims to be representing.
- Sender’s Address – If you’re cautious enough, you won’t even bother to think twice about reading through the email after seeing the sender’s It doesn’t look professional and commonly uses platforms designed for personal use.
Each time you receive an email, you must keep in mind that it might be a possible scam. So, stay vigilant and protect your system and inbox.
Wetransfer Email Virtus Virus Removal Guide
The removal of this malware requires several steps to be implemented to effectively purge your system. Since it enables browser notifications, you need to employ the following steps first:
- Access the Chrome browser and click the 3 dotted icon to reveal the menu.
- Now, click on Settings, and then scroll down to select Advanced link.
- Choose the Privacy and Security category before clicking on Content settings.
- Now, click on the Notifications options and check for any suspicious URLs. Once you find any, click on the 3 dots and select Block, then Remove.
- Now, go back to the main menu to select the Settings options again.
- This time, go to the Extensions tab, and then check from the list of installed features for anything suspicious.
- Remove all dubious extensions. Pay attention to the date of installation and the program developer.
Now that you are done with the online section, move to the system and get rid of any components related to the Wetransfer virus. Here is how you can do so:
- Click on the Windows search field, and then type Control Panel. Select the relevant result to launch the app.
- Now, select the Program and Features option.
- From the list of installed programs, search for any feature that is related to Wetransfer, apps you don’t recognize, anything that was installed during the virus attack, or programs that look suspicious. Click to highlight the culprit before selecting the Uninstall button at the top.
Once you are done with the above measures, you can acquire a reliable and recommended anti-malware software utility. Ensure the suite is updated to the latest version for better results. Perform a full system scan to let the utility detect any malicious content within the system related to the Wetransfer virus. The software can detect files, registries, programs, as well as other features related to malware. The scan may take a while depending on the size and processor of your system. When done, remove or quarantine the detected malicious content.
The Wetransfer email virus is harmful and must be removed immediately. It can derail your system performance and lead to the loss of important files. It is in your interest to keep a strong anti-malware software running in the background to benefit from real-time protection. Moreover, you must deploy a trusted PC repair software to make sure your computer performs at its optimum level all the time. This will help avoid crashes and errors that can lead to loss of data.