So, you’re planning to play your favorite computer game. However, when you try to launch it, you are greeted with an error message telling you that XAudio2_7.dll crashed. What do you do?
Well, fret not. This article is made to help you. Read on to find answers and solutions. But before anything else, what is the XAudio2_7.dll file?
What Is XAudio2_7.dll?
XAudio2_7.dll is a file that is part of the Microsoft DirectX product. This means it comes preinstalled with Microsoft DirectX for Windows 10/11. Though it exists in varying versions, this legit file is considered part of the XAudio2 Game Audio API.
Why Does Game Crash Because of XAudio2_7.dll?
There have been reports about games crashing because of the XAudio2_7.dll file. As with other DLL files, this file is no stranger to issues and errors that cause games to crash. These instances occur because of the following:
Pro Tip: Run a dedicated PC optimization tool to get rid of incorrect settings, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats that can cause system issues or slow performance.
- Inaccessible or damaged XAudio2_7.dll file caused by lost data
- An antivirus solution is blocking the XAudio2_7.dll file’s access
- Damaged Windows Registry database
How to Fix Games Crashing Because of XAudio2_7.dll
There are many ways to fix games crashing due to XAudio2_7.dll. We’ve listed some of them below.
Solution #1: Restart your PC
The easiest way to resolve the crashing problem is to restart your PC. Most of the time, there are cache issues that a quick restart can fix right away. However, if the issue is a missing DLL file, know that you cannot restart your computer. This means you have to do a force restart. Hopefully, it will resolve the problem.
To restart your PC, do the following:
- Click the Start button or press the Windows key.
- Hit the Power icon.
- Select Restart.
Solution #2: Get rid of malware entities
If you suspect that a malware entity is causing the games to crash due to XAudio2_7.dll, then the best solution is to get rid of these threats. Use a reliable anti-malware software program to scan your system. And then, restart it and check if the game still crashes.
For a detailed guide on what to do, follow these steps:
Using Windows Defender
- Click the Start button.
- Into the search field, input Windows Defender and select the most relevant search result. This will launch Windows Defender.
- You may then be prompted to check for system updates. Continue by clicking OK.
- To initiate a scan, click the Scan button.
- Windows Defender will then scan your PC. It will alert you if it finds any malicious process or activity.
Using a Third-Party Antivirus Suite
- Double-click on your antivirus icon.
- Click Scan and wait for the results.
Solution #3: Perform a System Restore
Although this isn’t the best option, you may perform a system restore to revert your device to a point in time when the problem was not existing. Yes, this may remove the error, but take note that doing so may result in changes in the registry variables, as well as in the installed programs.
Should you want to pursue with a System Restore, do the following:
- Into the search bar, input control panel.
- Select the most relevant search result.
- Into the Control Panel search bar, input recovery.
- Click Recovery and choose Open System Restore.
- Next, into the Restore system files and setting section, hit Next.
- Choose the restore point that you want to use.
- Select the Scan for affected programs
- At this point, you will see a list of items that will be deleted once you remove the restore point. If you’re happy to proceed, click Close.
- Proceed by hitting Next then Finish.
Solution #4: Uninstall then reinstall the faulty application
You may also try reinstalling the game to fix the problem. Here’s how:
- Into the search field, input Control Panel and select the top-most search result.
- Choose Programs and click Programs and Features.
- Right-click on the program you wish to uninstall and click Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to proceed with the uninstallation.
- Once uninstalled, reinstall the program. You can do so by using the CD or the setup file of the program.
Solution #5: Update the device drivers
Sometimes, the error message appears due to a problematic hardware component. To fix this, you may have to update the hardware’s device driver.
To update your device drivers, follow these steps:
- Into the search field, input device manager and click Device Manager.
- Choose a category to see the names of devices.
- Right-click on the device driver you want to update.
- Choose the Search automatically for updated driver software option.
- Select Update Driver.
- If Windows cannot find a new driver, you may manually find it on the device manufacturer’s website.
Alternatively, you can use a third-party driver updater program to update all your device drivers for you. All you have to do is download one from a reputable source and install it. Once done, use it to install updates for your device drivers.
Solution #6: Use the System File Checker utility
To resolve problems related to XAudio2_7.dll, try to check if the system files are in place. For this, you will need to use the System File Checker utility. This is an inbuilt tool in Windows devices that allows users to check for corrupted Windows system files and restore them.
Here’s how to use it:
- Launch the command prompt by typing cmd into the search bar.
- Right-click on the most relevant search result and select Run as Administrator.
- Into the command line, input this command: sfc /scannow.
- Windows will now scan all system files and replace the corrupted ones with a cached copy.
- Once the scan is complete, restart your PC.
Solution #7: Download the XAudio2_7.dll file
We don’t really suggest downloading the XAudio2_7.dll file. This is because the creators of the file never really intend to circulate it. It’s generally released as a part of an installation set. If you download and install an incorrect XAudio2_7.dll file, it may cause your system to completely malfunction.
Should you need to download this file to restore your system, make sure you download from a reputable source like the manufacturer’s website. Avoid downloading files and any content from insecure sites.
These are only some ways to fix crashes caused by a problematic XAudio2_7.dll. Though some of these fixes are simple, you may need to try others because it’s difficult to tell what will work for you. But if you are not sure about the solutions above, you can always seek help from licensed Windows technicians.
Can you recommend other fixes to the game crashing issue caused by the XAudio2_7.dll file? Let us know in the comments!
Vic is a search engine optimization expert, helping to optimize websites to make them more Google and user-friendly. He’s been in the industry for more than 10 years, and his work speaks a lot about his experience and expertise in the IT and digital marketing fields.
Vic is the one in charge of keeping our website running smoothly and efficiently, to make sure that our readers have a wonderful experience while visiting the website. He’s good at troubleshooting errors and fixing issues that come up either when playing games or working on the computer.
Vic is a certified gadget freak who feels the need to surround himself with cutting-edge technology. And this passion has helped him a lot in creating content that informs and guides users on using and troubleshooting the latest technology. He is an avid researcher who is always hungry for the latest news and updates on the most cutting-edge technology.