The Microsoft Store has a wealth of games, utilities, and other useful apps that Windows users can download and use. The Windows Store is supposed to work in a normal manner to make it easy for users to update the apps whenever necessary. However, in some cases, it doesn’t offer users a smooth experience like it’s supposed to, and this can get very frustrating.
What is Windows Store Update Error Code 0x87AF0001?
The Windows Store update error code 0x87AF0001 is a common problem that most users encounter when they try to download a new application. Another instance where users get the update error code 0x87AF0001 on Windows Store is when they try to update an already existing application. If you try updating or downloading a different app, you keep getting the same message, and this is an indication that the app isn’t the problem here. The problem mostly occurs on Windows 10/11 computers, and Microsoft is fully aware of this problem.
The error is generally very annoying, and the worst part is that the error message doesn’t come with any information, so nobody really knows what causes the Windows Store update error code 0x87AF0001. As a result, users are left wondering what the root cause of the problem is as they try to find Windows error solutions to such problems.
How to Fix the Error Code 0x87AF0001 on Windows Store
If you are looking for ways to fix the Windows Store update error code 0x87AF0001 in a detailed manner, keep reading. In this next part, we’ll show you a few solutions to help you get past this hurdle.
Pro Tip: Run a dedicated PC optimization tool to get rid of incorrect settings, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats that can cause system issues or slow performance.
Follow the suggested procedures below to fix the Windows Store update error code 0x87AF0001.
Method 1: Run the Windows Store Troubleshooter Tool
The troubleshooter tool is an in-built mechanism that helps users to easily resolve common issues linked to the running of a computer. The tool helps the computer fix the underlying issues on its own by checking the following:
- Internet connectivity
- Network adapter functionality
- Windows Update service
Here’s how you run the Windows Store apps troubleshooter:
- Press the “Windows Key+1” to open the Windows Settings page.
- Choose the “Update and Security” option
- Click on the “Troubleshoot” tab and then switch to the right panel.
- Click on “Windows Store Apps.”
- Select “Run the Troubleshooter” to solve any problem on your computer.
Method 2: Temporarily Disable Windows Firewall Program
Another reason why you might be getting the error is that the Windows Firewall could be blocking the Windows Store. The reason for this could be due to corrupt files of the Firewall. When this happens, you should temporarily disable the Firewall and restart your computer. Follow these steps:
- Type “Firewall” into the search bar.
- When the Windows Defender Firewall window is opened, click on “Firewall and Network Protection.”
- Go to the right of the window and turn off all the 3 Network Firewalls :
- Go to the Windows Store and try to update or download an app of your choice. If it works, it means that the problem has been resolved.
- Turn the Firewall back on.
Method 3: Restore the Windows Store Application
Use the “wsreset.exe” command to reset the Windows Store application. For a detailed guide on what to do, follow the process below:
- Type “wsreset” into the search bar.
- Press “Enter” on the keyboard.
- Double-click on the matched content on the list that comes up.
- Wait for the process to complete.
- Restart the computer and check if the issue has been fixed.
Method 4: Reset the Software Distribution Folder
To reset the Software Distribution Folder, follow these steps:
- Open the Command Prompt window via the search bar.
- Type “net stop wuauserv.”
- Press Enter.
- Type “net stop bits.”
- Press Enter.
- Go to the C: folder, and then go to “”
- Click on “Software Distribution.”
- Press “Ctrl+A” to select all the items.
- Delete the contents of the folder.
- Restart the computer to see if the problem has been fixed.
Method 5: Delete Unnecessary Updates
Sometimes, unnecessary Windows updates could also cause the error to appear. This means that you need to find the culprit and install its update. Follow these steps:
- Press the “Windows Key+1.”
- Scroll down and click on the “Update & Security” category.
- Switch to the left pa
- Look for the updates button and click on it to get all the installed updates.
- Find the culprit installed update and uninstall it.
There still isn’t a clear solution for the Windows Store update error code 0x87AF0001. Until Microsoft releases an update that fixes the problem, the only option that users have is to use the above-listed solutions to work around it. These PC repair solutions work in fixing the problem for almost all the applications. This allows users to complete their updates and downloads.
Vic is a search engine optimization expert, helping to optimize websites to make them more user-friendly. He’s been in the industry for more than 10 years, and his work speaks a lot about his experience and expertise in the IT and digital marketing fields.
Vic is the one in charge of keeping our website running smoothly and efficiently, to make sure that our readers have a wonderful experience while visiting the website. He’s good at troubleshooting errors and fixing Windows issues that come up either when playing games or working on the computer.
Vic is a certified gadget freak who feels the need to surround himself with cutting-edge technology. And this passion has helped him a lot in creating content that informs and guides users on using and troubleshooting the latest technology. He is an avid researcher who is always hungry for the latest news and updates on the most cutting-edge technology.