Even though Microsoft’s Windows 10 is the most used, and dominant operating system in the market, errors are part and parcel of the software. Users occasionally encounter various system error codes caused by numerous factors. Fortunately, most of these issues are fixable if the appropriate information is provided.
As of recent, a significant number of users have reported facing the Windows 10 Update or Activation Error 0x800f0805. The issue occurs when users attempt to download and install system updates or activate their copy of the operating system. Windows Update is an important utility as it delivers important bug fixes, security patches, as well as feature updates to the Operating System.
The Error 0x800f0805 prevents Windows Update from installing the latest OS updates. This leaves your system vulnerable to malware attacks, bugs, and other stability issues. With that said, this issue cannot be ignored and must be addressed as soon as it’s encountered.
What Causes the Activation Error 0x800f0805 on Windows 10
The Error 0x800f0805 can occur due to several factors. The main common causes of this problem include:
Pro Tip: Scan your PC for performance issues, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats
that can cause system issues or slow performance.
- The Microsoft servers might be having temporary issues due to bugs.
- The system files might be corrupt due to malware infection.
- There are missing system files that might have been accidentally deleted.
How to Fix the Activation Error 0x800f0805 on Windows 10
If you’re wondering what to do about the Activation Error 0x800f0805 on Windows 10, we have you covered. Since there are a lot of factors that lead to this error, we have prepared a couple of solutions that can be applied to alleviate the situation. Depending on your scenario, some of these solutions might not work. Thus, we advise applying the solutions chronologically until you find one that’s suitable for your case.
Solution #1: Run the Windows Troubleshooter
The first responder to anything concerned with issues related to Windows Update is the inbuilt Troubleshooter utility. This feature can detect, as well as, solve various issues on your computer. Here is how you can launch the Windows Troubleshooter:
- Press Windows + I keys simultaneously to open the Windows 10 Settings panel.
- Navigate to the Update & Security feature and click on it.
- On the left panel, hover down to Troubleshoot and select it to unfold its pane on the right side.
- Now, click on Windows Update, then follow the prompts.
- When done, restart the system and check that the issue has been resolved.
Solution #2: Download and Install System Updates Manually
Windows 10 users can download the latest system updates from Microsoft Update Catalog, then manually install as a workaround for the Error 0x800f0805. Here is how you can execute the process:
- Press Windows + I keys simultaneously to launch Windows 10 Settings app.
- Select the System tab and then scroll down to locate the About option.
- Under Device specifications, locate System type and note if your PC runs on 64-bit or 32-bit.
- Now, head back to the main Windows 10 Settings window and this time around, select Update & Security.
- Check the pending updates and note the update code. For instance, it can be KB4078407.
- Click on this link to access Microsoft Update Catalog.
- Use the update code you noted to search for the specific update file. Download the update based on the build of your system.
- Once the file with extension .msu has finished downloading, double-click on it to begin its installation.
- When done, restart the system for the new update to take effect.
Solution #3: Run the SFC/DISM Scanner
System File Checker (SFC) is another useful built-in Windows 10 utility capable of scanning system files in search for corrupt, damaged, or missing copies to replace with healthy ones. SFC uses a local cache to fetch the fresh copies and replace damaged ones. DISM fetches its fresh copies from an online server to replace corrupt or damaged system files.
We advise applying both of these utilities for better results. Follow the steps below to run SFC and DISM utilities:
- Open the Run dialog by simultaneously pressing Windows + R keys.
- In the search field, type “cmd” (no quotes) and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to launch Administrator: Command Prompt. If prompted by the User Account Control (UAC), click on Yes to give admin privileges.
- Now, in the elevated Command Prompt, insert the command line below followed by the Enter key.
- Let the process run for some time then restart the system when it is done.
- In the next startup, reopen the Administrator: Command Prompt window as shown in Steps 1 and 2.
- Insert the following command line before hitting the Enter key.
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
As mentioned earlier, this process requires your system to be connected to a stable network for it to work.
- Let the process run. It can take more or less 15 minutes. When done, reboot the computer and check if the issue has been resolved.
Solution #4: Reset Windows Update Components
Wrong configurations with the Windows Update components can lead to the Error 0x800f0805. To sort this out, follow the steps below precisely:
- Open an elevated Command Prompt by first pressing the Windows + R keys, then type “cmd” (no quotes) in the text field before hitting Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys simultaneously.
- Once you are inside the Administrator: Command Prompt, insert the following command lines with each followed by the Enter key.
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
- Now, locate this directory C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and erase all contents in it.
- Go back to the Command Prompt field and insert the following command lines with each followed by the Enter key.
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
- Reboot the computer and check if the issue has been resolved.
Do you suspect that your computer might be misbehaving due to malware or virus attack? Well, it would be best to first run a complete system security scan using a reputable security software suite. It is ideal to keep the antivirus program running in the background all the time to avoid future malware or threats.