In case you don’t know, there are two types of device drivers used on your device. One is the typical driver that is used by a hardware component to communicate with the OS. The other type is the kernel-mode driver, which is essential for booting the operating system.
In the succeeding sections, we will tackle one not-so-talked-about kernel-mode driver and an error that is commonly associated with it.
What Is Win32kfull.sys Blue Screen Error in Windows 10?
The win32kfull.sys file is a kernel-mode device driver that is built into your operating system. It is designed to ensure the successful communication between your Windows OS and your PC hardware. With its function, it is safe to assume that it is a critical file for booting your system. When your system detects problems with this file, it often results in a BSOD.
As with other Windows 10 BSOD errors, the win32kfull.sys blue screen error may surface during the system boot phase. It may appear while trying to use certain functions or when attempting to load an application.
What Causes Win32kfull.sys Blue Screen Error in Windows 10?
There are a few reasons why you may come across the win32kfull.sys error. But no matter the reason, it may usually lead to a BSOD. Normally, Windows users experience this error because the device driver is corrupt or one of the drivers are clashing with other software or drivers installed on your device.
Sometimes, the error may also surface when Windows detects hardware problems, software-related issues, or outdated firmware. It usually comes with the following error messages:
- win32kfull.sys could not be found.
- win32kfull.sys failed to load.
- The file win32kfull.sys is missing or corrupt.
- Windows failed to start – win32kfull.sys.
What to Do About Win32kfull.sys Blue Screen Error in Windows 10?
So, what should you do to fix the win32kfull.sys BSOD error? Continue reading.
Solution #1: Update your device drivers
Outdated device drivers are the primary culprits behind the win32kfull.sys BSOD error. Therefore, we recommend that you check your device drivers first. Make sure they are all updated.
Here’s how to do that:
- Right-click on the Start button and select Device Manager.
- Once the Device Manager window pops up, click on the Display Adapters section and find the name of your device driver. Right-click on them and click Update Driver.
- You will then be prompted if you want to search for drivers manually or automatically. If you choose the former method, you may need to search within your local files for any driver software. This will take time. However, if you choose the latter, Windows will search for updates for your device driver on your behalf.
- After updating your device drivers, reboot your PC.
If you find the steps above quite intimidating, use a third-party device driver updater software instead. All you need to do is download and install a legitimate device driver updater tool. After that, let it do its job. It’s that easy!
Solution #2: Install any pending Windows Update
Microsoft regularly releases Windows updates to fix previously related bugs and issues. And sometimes, installing these updates may help resolve BSOD errors, including the win32kfull.sys error.
If you want to try updating Windows, here’s what you should do:
- Click the Windows menu.
- Into the search box, type update and select the Check for Updates option.
- In the menu that pops up, click the Check for Updates button.
- Your system will install any pending updates automatically. Wait for the installation process to complete.
- Reboot your PC and check if the win32kfull.sys BSOD error is resolved.
Solution #3: Uninstall any recently installed program or application
If the win32kfull.sys BSOD error surfaced after installing a new app or program, then we suggest uninstalling it. Here’s how to do it:
- Right-click on the Start menu and choose Apps and Features.
- In the menu that appears, right-click on the problematic program and click Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the uninstallation process.
- Restart your PC and check if the BSOD error persists.
Solution #4: Run the System File Checker tool
Again, the win32kfull.sys file is an important component of the Windows system. If it becomes corrupted, try to repair it using the System File Checker tool. It’s a built-in utility designed to scan and fix corrupted system files.
Here’s how to use the tool:
- Into the search field, input command prompt. Right-click on the most relevant search result and click Run as Administrator.
- Input the sfc /scannow command and hit Enter.
- Windows will start scanning your system for any corrupted system files. This may take time so be patient. Once the scan completes, restart your PC.
Solution #5: Check your RAM
The Random-Access Memory or RAM serves as your PC’s storage device. If damages or corruption occurs on it, BSOD errors may surface.
To check for problems with your RAM, use the Windows Memory Diagnostic utility with these steps:
- Press the Windows + R keys to launch the Run utility.
- Into the search field, input mdsched.exe and hit Enter.
- Choose Restart now and check for problems (recommended). At this point, your PC will reboot into the Memory Diagnostic Tool.
- Hit the F1 key to stop the basic test.
- Navigate into the Options menu.
- Use the down arrow to choose Extended.
- Hit F10.
- Once the scan completes, take note of the errors reported.
- Exit the tool by pressing the ESC key.
Solution #6: Run an antivirus scan
This solution requires running a complete antivirus scan using Windows Defender or any reputable antivirus product of your choice. If the issue remains unresolved after the scan, you may try the next solution.
Solution #7: Run the Blue Screen Online Troubleshooter
If all else fails, you may run the Blue Screen Online Troubleshooter created by Microsoft. Many Windows 10 users have successfully resolved the error by using it.
Errors that result in a BSOD are really frustrating. So, you should do everything you can to resolve them. Hopefully, this guide has helped you resolve one notorious BSOD issue like the win32kfull.sys error. If you need more help, do not hesitate to seek help from professionals.