Windows errors are a common source of frustration. They never fail to make us frown, especially when they cause Windows to completely stop. Even more so when we don’t have any idea what really caused the problem in the first place.
In an era where we become more and more dependent on the internet and computers, many of us expect everything to work seamlessly. However, this couldn’t be further from the truth. When it comes to Windows devices, error messages are something common.
In this post, we will tackle one popular error code that is giving many Windows 10/11 users a headache: error 0xc0000142.
About the Windows 10/11 Error Code 0xc0000142
The error 0xc0000142 notoriously appears on Windows 10/11 computers when trying to launch applications or programs. Although these programs are usually related to games, the error may still appear when you open other programs like Autodesk.
According to some affected users, the error code is accompanied by the error message, “The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application.”
But what causes this error message to show?
What Causes the Error Code 0xc0000142 on Windows 10/11?
The primary culprit behind this error is the .dll load error. What this means is that the .dll file that is required to launch the program is not found or no longer valid. And considering that the problem is associated with a problematic .dll file, fixing or replacing the file should solve the problem.
Then again, there are instances when the error is often triggered by conflicting software or applications. While it can be hard to identify what particular software or application is causing the error code, rest assured that the problem can still be fixed.
How to Fix the Error Code 0xc0000142 on Windows 10/11
You don’t have to pay anyone to fix the error code 0xc0000142. Just follow the given solutions below and you should be all good.
Fix #1: Reboot your PC
Sometimes, all your PC needs is a quick reboot. Restarting your system will end all active processes and system files. And then, it will give them a fresh start.
To reboot your PC, do the following:
- Press the Windows key to open the Start menu.
- Click the Power button and select Restart.
Fix #2: Repair any corrupt system files
As mentioned above, problematic system files may trigger the error code 0xc0000142 to appear. To fix them, simply use the System File Checker tool.
- Press the Windows + X keys and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Once the elevated Command Prompt appears, enter the sfc /scannow command and hit Enter.
- At this point, the repair process should begin. Do not close the window so as not to interrupt the repair process.
- If you get the message, “Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations,” then your system files are not the problem. So, you may proceed to the next recommended fix.
Fix #3: Run the application in Compatibility mode
For some users, running the application in Compatibility mode has fixed the issue. So, it’s worth trying it as well.
To run the app in this mode, here’s what you should do:
- Right-click on the application’s icon.
- Choose Properties.
- Go to the Compatibility tab.
- Click the Run compatibility troubleshooter button.
- When prompted, choose the Try recommended settings option.
- Hit the Test program button. Windows should now try to run the program using the recommended settings.
- Once the program runs successfully, close it. After that, hit Next.
- Next, click the Yes, save these settings for this program if the program ran successfully option.
- Go to the Run this program in compatibility mode for: section.
- Choose Windows 10/11 from the list.
- Select Run this program as an administrator.
- Hit Apply then click OK to apply all changes.
Fix #4: Use the Registry Editor
Problematic DLL files can also trigger the error code to appear. In this case, use the Registry Editor to fix them.
Here’s a detailed guide on what to do:
- Press the Windows + R keys to launch the Run utility.
- Into the text field, input regedit.exe and hit Enter.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion > Windows.
- Next, double-click LoadAppInit.Dll.
- Change the current value data to 0.
- Hit OK.
- Reboot your PC.
Fix #5: Check your region’s settings
Weird as it may seem, but incorrect region settings may also cause the error code 0xc0000142 to appear. This is because there are applications that check the region first so they can launch properly.
To check and ensure you are using the correct region settings, do the following steps:
- Press the Windows + S keys and input control panel.
- Choose the most relevant search result.
- Click the View option and choose Small icons.
- Select Regions and go to the Administrative tab.
- Click the Change System Locale button and navigate to the Current System Locale menu.
- Choose your region from the list and hit OK.
- Check if the error persists.
Fix #6: Reinstall the application in Safe Mode
If the error code appears while trying to open an application on your Windows 10/11 PC, then you may try to restart your PC and boot it into Safe Mode. While in this mode, reinstall the problematic application and exit after the application is installed.
Fix #7: Modify the application’s settings
There are times when the application itself is the problem. It must have been installed incorrectly due to the lack of administrator permissions. So, in this fix, we will modify its settings.
For instance, if you encountered the error message while using a Microsoft Office program, do the following:
- Press the Windows + I keys to open Settings.
- Go to Apps and select Apps and Features.
- Scroll down the list of installed apps and choose Microsoft Office.
- Click Modify and accept any prompts shown on your screen.
- Wait for the process to complete.
Fix #8: Install any pending Windows update
In some situations, the error code is triggered once an important Windows update is not installed. Therefore, you may also try to check and install any pending Windows update.
For that, here’s what you should do:
- Press the Windows + I keys to launch the Settings utility.
- Go to Update and Security and select Windows Update.
- Click the Check for Updates button and wait for the update to be downloaded and installed.
Yes, the error code 0xc0000142 may be a cause of frustration to many. But the good news is that it can be fixed. You can always begin with the simplest possible fix, which is to reboot your PC. And then, work your way down the list if it doesn’t work.
If you are still having a hard time fixing the error, feel free to comment on your experience below.