Runtime error 0x000007b has multiple causes, so there’s no universal fix. Research potential reasons to prevent future occurrences and better address the issue.
The error 0x000007b occurs when users are attempting to launch certain applications, such as Fortnite or Nero Burning Studios. The error can be severe because it blocks users from launching such applications. So, you must deal with it immediately. We have prepared some solutions that you can apply to fix the issue.
Why the Error 0x000007b Appears?
When a user attempts launching an affected application, the following message appears during a post-program crash:
[program].exe – Application Error
The application was unable to start correctly (0x000007B). Click OK to close the application
The common reasons associated with the error 0x000007b, the application was unable to start up correctly include:
- Incompatible file running on the system built i.e. a 64-bit application running on a 32-bit machine
- The Microsoft .NET framework is either corrupt or missing
- Missing or corrupt Windows registry entries
- Corrupt Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable
- Missing or broken DLL files
- Missing or corrupt system files
How to Resolve the Error 0x000007b on Windows 10/11
There are more reasons why the error surfaces, but the above pretty much covers the basics. The solutions provided below should get you in one way or the other.
Before anything else, it’s commendable to install a reliable PC Repair tool. The program can help solve various issues concerned with system files. This will also save you time and the risk of tampering with the wrong files to make matters worse.
Solution #1: Select the Correct Architecture for the Program
Most computers with a RAM size above 4GB use the 64-bit architecture. Ensure that the application setup file chosen when downloading a program uses the same build. After that, confirm if the affected applications are using the same architecture. If not, reinstall them using the correct installation file. Usually, the installation files come in two versions: x64 and x84. The latter presents a 32-bit system.
Solution #2: Re-install MS Visual C++ Redistributable
- Press the Windows key and type Control panel into the search field before hitting the Enter button.
- Access Programs and then click on Uninstall a program.
- Check all entries related to Visual C++ and right-click on them before selecting the Uninstall option.
- Now, head to the official Microsoft site and download all versions of Visual Studio.
- Install the appropriate version for the affected application. For instance, install Visual Studio 2015 if it’s a 2016 application.
Solution #3: Install a Fresh MS .NET Framework
The .NET framework is a vital Windows OS feature. This means any problems related to the framework can lead to severe errors such as the error 0x000007b, the application was unable to start up correctly on Windows 10/11.
To install a fresh MS .NET Framework, access the official MS site, follow the download instructions, and install the .NET Framework 4.
Solution #4: Reset the Affected Apps
It is possible that the cause of the error is due to a badly configured application. Therefore, resetting the affected app will revert all settings to default.
- Right-click on the Windows menu button, and then select Apps and Features.
- Locate the affected application, and then click on it to reveal the Advanced options.
- Now, hover to the bottom and click on the Reset option.
- When the warning pops up, click on Reset to confirm the action.
- Once done, restart the computer and check that the issue got resolved.
Solution #5: Execute a Program Compatibility Troubleshooter
If there are compatibility issues, the system will fail to launch the application and show the error 0x000007b. Running a Program Compatibility Troubleshooter will help identify and fix the error. Here is how:
- Press Windows + I keys to launch the Settings app.
- Select the Updates & Security tab.
- Hover to the left pane and select Troubleshoot.
- Now, check for the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter on the right pane.
- Select Run troubleshooter.
- Once the process is complete, restart your computer and check if the issue got resolved.
Solution #6: Install All Pending Windows Updates
Missing essential updates can cause severe issues to the system. If your computer is outdated, it will be lagging behind and might likely fail to run some of the latest programs. Consider installing all pending system updates to solve this error. Here’s how:
- Press the Windows + I keys to launch the Settings app.
- Select the Updates & Security category before clicking on the Check for updates button.
- Let the system scan for pending updates, download, and install them.
Note that the system may be required to restart several times. Thus, focus on saving any unfinished work.
- Restart the computer when done.
Solution #7: Launch the Affected Program as Administrator
There are some programs that only work if launched with admin privileges. To solve the issue, locate the icon of the program and follow the steps below:
- Right-click on the program’s shortcut to bring up the context menu.
- Select Run as administrator option.
- Click on the Yes option if prompted by the UAC.
Like a pandemic, computer users only get alarmed by the presence of malware when the situation is already dire. And it is hard to control or remove malicious software spread pretty much everywhere. So, it’s best to prevent it from happening in the first place. Also, you may want to avoid problems such as error 0x000007b, the application was unable to start up correctly on Windows 10/11. A strong and reliable anti-malware security suite must be kept running in the background for real-time protection.