Not all computers can meet the requirements of a Windows 10 upgrade. So if you are seeing the error 0xc1900200, it is probably your machine’s way of telling you that a Windows 10 upgrade might no t work for you.
Although the upgrade is readily available on Microsoft’s website, consumers running Windows 7 or below need to check the spec requirements first. Otherwise, they will encounter the dreaded Windows 10 error 0xc1900200.
You might be asking: Is it possible to fix this update error? Well, you’ll know the answer in a bit. In the meantime, here’s everything you should know about whether or not your computer is ready for a Windows 10 upgrade.
Windows 10 System Requirements
Interestingly, you can check whether your computer is eligible for a Windows 10 upgrade through the Get Windows 10 app. Follow the instructions below:
- Hover over the lower-right part of your desktop and click the Windows Update icon.
- The Get Windows 10 app will then appear.
- Click the Options button.
- Navigate to Getting the Upgrade section and select Check your PC.
- You should now know whether your computer is compatible with a Windows 10 upgrade.
You can also perform a manual check to know whether your computer meets the requirements of a Windows 10 upgrade. Here are the minimum specs of the latest Windows operating system:
- 1 GHz CPU
- DirectX9 or later graphics card with WDDM 1.0 driver
- 800 x 600 display resolution
- 1 GB RAM for 32-bit computer systems and 2 GB RAM for 64-bit computer systems
- 16 GB free storage space for 32-bit systems and 20 GB for 64-bit systems
Now, how do you find out your computer’s RAM, CPU, and graphics specs? Simple. Follow these steps:
- Use the Windows key or click the Start button to open the Start menu.
- Go to Control Panel > System.
- As for the specs of your graphics, open Run by pressing the Windows + R keys.
- Enter dxdiag in the text field.
- Press Enter.
- You should see your current DirectX version as well as the WDDM driver model under the Display tab.
Other Important Windows 10 Upgrade Requirements
Aside from the computer specs, there are other requirements you should check. According to Microsoft, firmware and driver support, feature support, and application compatibility can all affect a Windows 10 upgrade process. Again, the Get Windows app can alert you whether there are any potential problems or not.
How to Fix Error 0xc1900200
Now that you’ve checked that your computer meets all the upgrade requirements and yet the error still shows, here are some solutions you may try:
Solution #1. Reset the Windows Update Components.
This may require some technical understanding of the Windows operating system. But as long as you follow the steps below one by one , you should be on the right track.
Here’s how to reset the Windows Update Components:
- Press the Windows key and open Command Prompt (Admin).
- In the text field, enter the following commands. Make sure you press Enter after every command:
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
- Rename the Catroot2 and SoftwareDistribution folders by typing the following commands and pressing Enter after each command:
- ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
- Restart the Cryptographic, MSI Installer, Windows Update Services, and BITS by executing these commands and pressing Enter after each one of them:
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- net start msiserver
- Close the Command Prompt window.
- Restart your Windows computer and check if there are any difference in your machine’s performance or if the error still shows.
Solution #2: Reset Windows 10 Updates Using an Automatic Script.
A Windows update is an essential component of any Windows operating system. This allows users to have new drivers for the hardware devices currently installed in their computers. It also improves security patches and fixes known bugs.
Unfortunately, some of these updates do not work as intended. As a result, we see error codes like the 0xc1900200.
When ever this error shows, tech enthusiasts suggest resetting Windows 10 updates using an automatic script. This script will remove the older Windows update folders and create new ones automatically. It will also re-register all the Windows update files in a system. Lastly, it will reset a computer’s network connection and BITS service.
To reset Windows 10 Updates, follow these steps:
- Download the Script here.
- If prompted, select Keep.
- Open the Downloads folder and locate the downloaded script.
- Right-click on it and select Run as Administrator.
- Sometimes, a Windows Smartscreen will block the script. But you can choose to open it by clicking Run anyway.
- Wait for it to finish.
- Restart your computer and check for any updates again.
Solution #3: Seek Help from Windows 10 Experts.
At this point, you have probably done everything, checking your computer if it meets all the upgrade requirements and trying to reset the Windows 10 updates using an automatic script. Still, the error shows. In this case, the last thing you can do is to contact your computer manufacturer.
Ask them about your machine’s upgrade eligibility or other issues. Normally, they will refer you to Microsoft’s OEM index. There you will find email addresses to contact and support page links you can refer to for possible solutions on how to fix error 0xc1900200 in Windows 10.
On a Final Note
Obviously, the error 0xc1900200 has something to do with system requirements and compatibility. So, to avoid seeing this error message, it is best that you check if your computer meets the requirements.
To further avoid errors, we suggest you download and install as well. This tool can run a quick scan on your computer to help you identify the files and errors that are keeping you from enjoying your computer’s optimal performance. It also restores system stability by removing any corrupt keys or invalid entries from your Windows registry.
Do you have anything to add about the error 0xc1900200 that you think fellow Windows users would love to know? Let us know below!