You could be in the middle of printing some important documents when your printer stops printing and the Error 0x97 appears on the LED screen. This issue is not specific to one specific type of printer and may occur on WF-4630, WF-3640, or WF-7610 models in the Epson WorkForce Series.
Causes of the Epson Printer Error 0x97
Before proceeding to the possible solutions to this problem, you may be wondering what causes it in the first place. Generally, the Epson Printer Error 0x97 is caused by internal hardware issues. It could be a motherboard malfunction or a malfunction of other internal components. Not to worry because this guide will take your through the options you have to fix your printer so that its running as it should again.
Option 1: Unplug and Plug in the Printer
If you are getting the Error 0x97 on Epson printer, sometimes the simplest solutions may be the one that works. Follow these steps to attempt to fix this error:
- Open the printer case and check if there are any jammed papers or paper materials. If there are, remove these pieces carefully.
- Remove all your printer’s cartridges carefully.
- Unplug any USB cables connected to the printer.
- Press the power button to shut down the printer, then wait for a few seconds.
- Plug in all the USB cables you unplugged prior to shutting down the printer.
- Switch on the printer.
- Check if the screen is still presenting the error or if it is fixed.
Option 2: Unplug Your Printer and Plug it in in Inverse
Follow these steps.
Pro Tip: Scan your PC for performance issues, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats
that can cause system issues or slow performance.
- Press the power button on your printer to switch off the printer.
- Unplug all connected USB cables and the power cable.
- Wait for 5 minutes.
- Long press the power button for at least 1 minute.
- Plug in all the USB cables while still pressing the power button.
- After plugging in the USB cables, press the power button for one more minute.
- Plug the power cable back in and release the power button.
- Switch on the printer and check if the error is still showing. If it is, proceed to Option 3.
Option 3: Run the Printer Troubleshooter
If the printer is still showing the Error 0x97, it’s time to run the in-built printer troubleshooter on your computer. A PC repair guide will help. Follow these steps to troubleshoot;
- Right click on the start button.
- Open the Run dialog box by typing “run” (no quotes) in the search box and selecting Run.
- Type in the following command-line and hit enter.
msdt.exe /id PrinterDiagnostic
- Click Next in the Printer Troubleshooting window.
- Let the printer troubleshooter run and fix the error.
- Once complete, close the window and check if the printer is still displaying the error.
Option 4: Use Wet Tissues to Clean the Clogged Epson Printer Nozzles
If the reason the printer is showing the error is because the printer’s nozzles are clogged, this option should fix it. Follow these steps:
- Switch off your printer and unplug all power cables.
- Open the printer case.
- Using an ammonia-based cleaning solution, wet a piece of soft cloth.
- Put the wet cloth under the print head.
- Move the print head to the center and leave the cloth for 12 hours.
- Remove the cloth and put the printer case back on.
- Plug in all the power cables.
- Switch on the printer and check if the error is resolved or not.
Option 5: Update Your Printer Driver
Sometimes the problem is that your operating system is running on outdated drivers. To update the drivers, follow these steps on your PC:
- Go to the official Epson driver support website. Find the latest drivers for your printer and PC, respectively.
- Right-click on the start button and type “Device Manager” (no quotes) in the search section.
- Select the Device Manager and open it.
- In the Device Manager window, locate Universal Serial Bus Controllers and expand it.
- Locate USB Composite Device and right-click on it.
- In the context menu, select Update Driver.
- Choose ‘Search Automatically’ for your computer to look for the drivers on your computer. Once found, the drivers will be installed automatically.
- Check to see if the error is fixed.
If the above options don’t work, it may be time to contact customer support. If you are under warranty, they should be able to fix your printer for free.