Recently, we have had an influx of complaints regarding the error code 0xC0000374, which appears when Windows 10/11 users attempt to install essential Realtek sound card drivers. Under normal circumstances, this error should not show, but due to several software bugs, it occurs.
This error does not apply to software glitches only as it also shows when there is a faulty sound card installed in the system. In such cases, the only solution left is for users to change the sound card since a software solution doesn’t have the means to solve a hardware issue.
However, jumping to the ultimate solution isn’t ideal as you don’t want to spend a couple of dollars on something that might turn out to be a software glitch. Therefore, we advise troubleshooting first to identify all software problems that might lead to this error.
But first, you can check if the sound card is faulty by checking for an unknown device in the Device Manager with a caution mark. If it’s there, you may try to reinstall the sound card device and see if it is going to fix the issue. If not, you might have a defective sound card and it must be replaced.
Pro Tip: Run a dedicated PC optimization tool to get rid of incorrect settings, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats that can cause system issues or slow performance.
If your sound card is not problematic, then you may proceed to apply our solutions to fix the Windows 10/11 error code 0xC0000374.
Fix Windows 10/11 Error Code OxC0000374
If the Windows 10/11 error code 0xC0000374 is generated because of a software glitch, then you can benefit from these solutions. Note that the solutions offered here begin with the most basic ones, so make sure to follow chronologically.
Here is how you can solve error code 0xC0000374 in Windows 10/11:
Solution #1: Perform a Drive Reinstallation
Since most of the software related issues stem from faulty configurations, this should be the first approach. Here is how to apply this fix:
- Simultaneously press the Windows Logo + I key to bring up Windows Settings.
- Click on the Apps tab to access the Apps & Features window. Check for the Realtek HD Audio driver and uninstall it.
- Go to the website of your system’s manufacturer and download Realtek drivers.
- Install the appropriate drivers and reboot for the changes to take effect.
- Check if the error is gone.
Solution #2: Update Drivers
In most cases, outdated drivers can lead to incompatibility issues and generate the error code 0xC0000374 in Windows 10/11. In such a scenario, the best solution is to update drivers manually using the Device Manager.
Here’s how to update your device drivers using Device Manager:
- Simultaneously press the Windows Logo + X keys to access Device Manager from the Power-user menu.
- On the Device Manager window, open the tab labelled sound, video and game controllers.
- Look for Realtek High Definition Audio and select the Update Driver Software option.
- Follow the prompts to update the drivers. The system will automatically search for the relevant driver update files online. When found, you will be prompted with an option to install them.
- If during the installation, the system requests for admin privileges, give permission.
- When the installation is complete, restart the computer for the changes to take effect.
Check if the issue at hand has been solved. If not, proceed to the next solution.
Solution #3: Utilize the Add Legacy Hardware Feature
If the tab labelled sound, video and game controllers is missing from the Device Manager window, using the Add legacy hardware feature might be an ideal fix. To do that, follow the instructions below:
- Simultaneously press the Windows Logo + X keys before selecting Device Manager from the emerging menu.
- Click on the Action tab located on the top and select Add Legacy Hardware.
- Now, follow the prompts to complete the installation process.
Once done, the sound, video and game controllers tab should now be visible, allowing you to perform a manual driver update as indicated in solution #2.
Solution #4: De-activate MS UAA Bus Driver
The UAA Bus Driver can also be the cause for error 0xC0000374 in Windows 10/11. In this case, you can uninstall the UAA drivers from the system and see if the issue gets solved. To do so, follow the instructions below:
- Simultaneously press the Windows Logo + I keys before selecting the Apps tab.
- Search for Realtek HD Audio driver and uninstall it.
- Now, simultaneously press the Windows Logo + X keys to access Device Manager from the Power-user menu.
- Click the sound, video and game controllers tab to open it.
- Check for the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver feature and right-click to select the disable option.
- Right-click again and select Uninstall.
- On Legacy Audio Drivers, double-click and select Properties.
- Select the sound device that appears on the list and remove it.
- Reboot the computer and reinstall the driver setup file.
Solution #5: Use MS Update Catalog to Update Drivers
If any of the previously mentioned solutions don’t come right, you can resort to Microsoft Update catalog to execute an update.
Follow the instructions below to use Microsoft Update catalog to fix the error code 0xC0000374 on Windows 10/11:
- Access the Device Manager window from the Power-user menu by simultaneously pressing the Windows Logo + X keys.
- Access MS catalog through this link. Into the search field, insert Realtek Audio Device Windows 10/11 and hit Enter. In the results shown, select the Last Column to list files based on their release date.
- Once you locate the latest version, click on the file to download and save it on your PC.
- Unzip the file and head over to the Device Manager screen. Look for Software Components features and Realtek options will be visible.
- Look for sound, video, game controllers and double-click on it to open.
- Check for Realtek High Definition Audio and right-click on it before selecting Update Driver Software.
- Now, select the option Browse my computer for driver software to update the driver using the file saved in your system.
- Choose the unpacked setup file you saved on your PC earlier.
- Restart the system and check if the problem is solved in the next startup.
Windows 10/11 is a sophisticated platform with a lot of enjoyable features. However, this operating system is haunted by numerous bugs and issues that can ruin your browsing experience. Therefore, to stay on top of any situation and keep your system in optimal condition, install a trusted PC repair software that will function as an inhouse technician. This way, you don’t have to wait for your system to perform poorly to fix issues.