So you have just downloaded and installed a later Windows operating system version. What’s next? Activate it! And what does it mean?
Windows activation is required to confirm that your Windows operating system is genuine. It is also used to know the number of devices running the copy and to check if it has already exceeded the limit indicated by the Microsoft Software License Terms.
Once your Windows OS is activated, it’s time to connect your license to a Microsoft account. Take note that this step is important because it allows you to reactivate your OS using the Activation Troubleshooter in the event that important hardware changes are made.
Now, the sad news is that not everyone is able to successfully activate their Windows 10 operating system. This is because Windows activation errors stop them from activating Windows. One of these errors is the Windows 10 error code 0x87E10BC6.
What is Windows 10 Error Code 0x87E10BC6?
The error code 0x87E10BC6 on Windows 10 is an activation issue that anyone can experience from time to time. It comes with the complete error message:
“Something prevented us from communicating with our activation servers. Wait a few minutes and then try again. Error code: 0x87E10BC6”
You may now be wondering why the 0x87E10BC6 error happens. Well, there are many possible reasons. The culprit could be an issue with Microsoft’s activation server or corrupt registry keys. The issue could also be caused by problematic hardware or malware entities that have successfully infiltrated your computer. Whatever’s causing the error message to show, one thing is for sure: the problem can be fixed.
How to Fix 0x87E10BC6 Windows Activation Error
There are many possible workarounds to fix the 0x87E10BC6 Windows activation error. Let us explore each one of them in more detail below:
Fix #1: Reboot your computer
It is likely that the 0x87E10BC6 error is only temporary. To resolve it, reboot your computer first. And then, try to activate your license. If you don’t encounter problems, then great. Otherwise, work your way down the list until you find a fix that works for you.
Fix #2: Update the Windows 10 operating system
You probably already know that Windows updates are released to fix previously reported errors on the OS and to boost system security. Not installing them may only put your personal information and computer files at risk. Therefore, it is worth trying to install all pending Windows 10 OS updates to hopefully get rid of the error 0x87E10BC6 code.
To update your Windows 10 OS, here’s what you should do:
- Press the Windows + I key combo to open Settings.
- Go to Update and Security.
- Click Check for Updates.
- If there are any pending Windows updates, download and install them.
- Restart your computer.
- Reactivate your license.
Fix #3: Use the Activation Troubleshooter
Windows 10 has a built-in Activation Troubleshooter that can be used to detect and fix activation-related issues. To use it, you need to be signed in as an administrator. Once you’re logged in, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings.
- Select Update and Security.
- Find and click the Activation option.
- Choose Troubleshoot.
- Follow the on-screen prompts.
- Once the troubleshooting process is done, click Go to Microsoft Store. It will then launch the Microsoft Store app. A thank you message will also appear.
Fix #4: Check your system firewall
It is possible that a third-party firewall is blocking the connection between your computer and Microsoft’s server. As a result, the 0x87E10BC6 error keeps on occurring every time you try to activate Windows 10.
To avoid the error message, try to disable the firewall first. Don’t worry because the Windows Defender Firewall is still there to keep you on the safer side.
Here’s how to disable your Windows firewall:
- Open Settings.
- Select Update and Security.
- Click Windows Security and go to Firewall and network protection.
- Select your currently active network.
- Disable your firewall by toggling the switch.
- Next, navigate to Incoming Connection and make sure that the Blocks all incoming connections, including those in the list of allow box option is unticked.
- Close the Settings window.
Fix #5: Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
Sometimes, the error code 0x87E10BC6 occurs because there is a problem with system hardware. In cases like this, your best option is to run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.
To run the troubleshooter, simply follow these steps:
- Go to Settings and select Update and Security.
- Hover over to the left-hand side of the window and click Troubleshoot.
- Scroll down and click Video Playback.
- Click Run the Troubleshooter.
- Follow the instructions flashed on your screen.
If you suspect that a Windows Store app is causing the error, go to the Windows Store Apps entry under the Troubleshoot section. And then, choose the Run the Troubleshooter option.
Fix #6: Roll back the Windows 10 update using System Restore
The 0x87E10BC6 error code may also appear after receiving and installing a Windows update. And in this case, we suggest that you roll back the update using System Restore.
- Click on the Cortana search bar and type restore.
- Hit Enter to open System Restore.
- Next, click Create a Restore Point.
- Navigate to the System Protection tab and click System Restore.
- Click Next to proceed.
- Now, click on the Choose a different restore point option.
- Hit Next.
- Tick the Show more restore points option.
- Select a restore point. Make sure to choose a date before the Windows update was installed.
- Click Next and hit Finish.
- Wait for System Restore to finish its job and roll back the update to a state when everything was working fine.
Fix #7: Restore system stability
Stability issues may affect your PC’s overall performance and mess with your system’s core processes. While some of these issues will leave you completely unproductive, others trigger other problems, such as the 0x87E10BC6 Windows activation error.
Avoid these problems by installing a reliable PC repair tool like Outbyte PC Repair. This tool can effectively remove corrupt keys and registry entries from your system, taking care not to remove anything that is important. With Outbyte PC Repair handy, issues and crashes won’t stand a chance and system stability will be restored.
The Windows 10 0x87E10BC6 activation error can be caused by different things: issues with Microsoft’s servers, hardware problems, malware entities, and a lot more. But the good thing is that it can be fixed. Start with a simple reboot and proceed with more exciting fixes until you find one that works for you.
Feel free to share your experience with the Windows activation 0x87E10BC6 error below!