Have you ever encountered d2d1.dll? It is a type of DLL file that’s associated with Windows 8 Pro, developed by Microsoft for the said Windows operating system.
DLL errors can occur from time to time, such as Windows being unable to load the d2d1.dll file properly. Here is a quick guide to common d2d1.dll error messages, the usual causes of d2d1.dll errors, and some fixes you can try on your own.
What Is D2d1.dll?
Dynamic link library (DLL) files, including d2d1.dll, are small programs allowing various software programs to share the same functionality, such as printing.
Let’s put it this way: While running Windows OS, you’re working on a Microsoft Word document. The DLL file controlling printing need not load unless its function is necessary, or when you decide you want to print your document. Once you choose Print, Word calls the printer DLL file and then loads it into your RAM.
Pro Tip: Run a dedicated PC optimization tool to get rid of incorrect settings, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats that can cause system issues or slow performance.
Now, you decide you want to print an Adobe Acrobat file. The same printer DLL file will be summoned, too.
An error message can crop up once in a while, and it can take place due to program or computer startup, or while the system is attempting to use a particular function in a given program, such as printing.
Common d2d1.dll error messages can appear in different forms, including the following:
- dll not found.
- Cannot register d2d1.dll.
- The file d2d1.dll is missing.
- Cannot find C:\Windows\System32\\d2d1.dll.
- dll Access Violation.
- This application failed to start because d2d1.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
You can expect a DLL error message to surface while you’re installing a program, a related software program is running, or during Windows startup or shutdown.
It could be, for instance, a d2d1.dll and KB4015438 update issue, where some users found the error message “Windows\system32\d2d1.dll is either not designed to run or contains an error” after the update occurred. Update KB4015438 was released in March 2017 as OS build 14393.969 version.
How to Fix D2d1.dll Not Working Issues
It’s crucial that you keep track of when the d2d1.dll error takes place in order to effectively troubleshoot the issue. Here are a few fixes you can try:
Repairing Invalid D2D1.dll Registry Entries
This is your best bet if the error seems to be related to issues in the Windows registry. As a number of programs share the same d2d1.dll file, uninstalling or changing those programs can translate to invalid DLL registry entries.
In order to manually repair your Windows registry, you need to first come up with a backup via exporting a part of the registry linked to d2d1.dll. Follow these steps:
- Click Start.
- Type command in the search box.
- On your keyboard, hold CTRL-Shift and hit Enter at the same time.
- Once prompted with a permission dialog box, click Yes. A black box will then appear with a blinking cursor.
- Type regedit and click Enter.
- Select the d2d1.dll-related key, e.g., Windows 8 Pro, that you want to back up once you’re in the Registry Editor.
- Go through the File menu and choose Export.
- In Save In, choose the folder where you want the Windows 8 Pro backup key saved.
- Once in File Name, type a name for your backup file.
- In Export Range, make sure you select Selected branch.
- Click Save, which will save the file with a .reg file extension. This will serve as your backup.
Note that manually editing your registry can come with great risks and consequences, so proceed with caution.
Recovering D2d1.dll from the Recycle Bin
The d2d1.dll file might have been deleted accidentally, so it’s smart to check your Windows Recycle Bin to see if it can still be restored. Follow these steps:
- Double-click the Recycle Bin icon.
- Look for d2d1.dll in the upper right-hand location.
- If it comes up in the search results, select and move it to this directory: C:\Windows\System32\.
- Restart your machine.
Updating Device Drivers on Your Computer
A d2d1.dll error message can also emerge due to corrupt or outdated device drivers, so it’s only smart to fix this DLL problem by updating the responsible device driver. It can be rather difficult to find the exact driver for the related hardware device whether on Microsoft or the manufacturer’s website, but the good news is you can automate the process by using a driver updater tool such as Auslogics Driver Updater. This can help prevent device conflicts and ensure smooth hardware operation.
Performing a Malware Scan
Your d2d1.dll error could be associated with a malware infection on your computer, in which case you should conduct a full malware scan to abate the problem.
Using Windows System Restore
Go back in time and undo recent system changes via the Windows System Restore, and see if it successfully tackles your d2d1.dll issue. Here are the steps:
- Click Start.
- Type System Restore in the search box. Next, click Enter.
- Click System Restore from the results, and enter any administrator password once prompted.
- Follow the instructions in the Wizard to pick a restore point.
- Restart your computer.
Running SFC Tool
The System File Checker (sfc /scannow) tool is important in scanning for corrupted files as well as restoring Windows system files, including – you guessed it right – d2d1.dll. Run it through these steps:
- Click Start.
- Type command in the search box.
- Hold CTRL-Shift and hit Enter at the same time.
- Once prompted with a permission dialog box, hit Enter.
- In the black box marked by a blinking cursor, type sfc /scannow. Click Enter.
- The tool will then start scanning for d2d1.dll along with other system file issues. This may take time.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
Installing Windows Updates
You can count on Microsoft to regularly update Windows system files that could be related to d2d1.dll. Thus, you can simply update Windows with the most recent Service Pack or other patch released regularly.
Desperate times call for desperate measures, and this last step qualifies as one. Reinstalling Windows can be massively time-consuming, but it can be your last viable option to resolve the d2d1.dll issue. This action will wipe out all stuff on your hard drive and allow you a fresh start. A clean-install of Windows, too, cleans out junk that has been amassed by the system over time. Since this is an advanced procedure, make sure to prevent data loss by backing up all your important data.
It’s possible that if the d2d1.dll error persists, it’s a hardware-related problem that makes the DLL problem rage on. You can replace the related hardware or leave it to the professionals to solve.
Prevention is always better than cure, so keep your computer in tiptop shape by regularly diagnosing your Windows system, cleaning out junk files, and paying attention to system stability using a reliable PC repair tool.
Have you had any d2d1.dll issue that you’d like to share with us? Hit us up in the comments!
Vic is a search engine optimization expert, helping to optimize websites to make them more user-friendly. He’s been in the industry for more than 10 years, and his work speaks a lot about his experience and expertise in the IT and digital marketing fields.
Vic is the one in charge of keeping our website running smoothly and efficiently, to make sure that our readers have a wonderful experience while visiting the website. He’s good at troubleshooting errors and fixing Windows issues that come up either when playing games or working on the computer.
Vic is a certified gadget freak who feels the need to surround himself with cutting-edge technology. And this passion has helped him a lot in creating content that informs and guides users on using and troubleshooting the latest technology. He is an avid researcher who is always hungry for the latest news and updates on the most cutting-edge technology.