Are you trying to update Windows or using Windows Defender when you suddenly run into error code 0x80070424? Then it is likely that your Windows computer has a problem with the key service called Windows Module Installer, which is responsible for enabling the modification, installation, and removal of any Windows updates and its components.
What Is Error Code 0x80070424?
Error code 0x80070424 is an error that usually occurs while updating Windows, when using Windows Defender, or while trying to make changes in your Windows Firewall settings. Common among Windows 7 and Vista users, this error often keeps you from enabling or disabling Firewall on your computer.
Causes of Error Code 0x80070424
In a normal setting, the Windows Module Installer is set to Manual. However, if it is disabled, the registry key associated with controlling its operation and functions will be altered or corrupted. As a result, Windows will fail and error code 0x80070424 will show.
How to Fix Error Code 0x80070424
If you ever come across this error in the future, try any of the six solutions below to fix it:
Pro Tip: Scan your PC for performance issues, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats
that can cause system issues or slow performance.
Solution 1: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter.
One of the most common workarounds to repair error code 0x80070424 is by using Windows Update Troubleshooter. To use it, follow these steps:
- In the search bar, input troubleshoot.
- Choose Troubleshoot in the search results.
- In the Troubleshoot window, click on Windows Update.
- Hit the Run the troubleshooter button so Windows can start looking for update issues and resolve them automatically. Take note that this might take a while and requires your patience.
Solution 2: Execute the ‘Chkdsk’ Command.
Perhaps your file system is all messed up, which is why error code 0x80070424 surfaces whenever you attempt to update Windows. To ensure your file system is clean, you can always use third-party PC cleaning tools to save time. But if you prefer to get things done manually, you can run the Chkdsk command.
Follow these instructions to execute the Chkdsk command:
- Launch the Start menu and right-click on Command Prompt.
- Choose Run as administrator.
- In the command line, input Chkdsk volume: /f /r and hit Enter to execute it.
- The process will take minutes to complete, so make sure you don’t close it.
Solution 3: Find and Fix All Corrupt System Files.
It is possible that corrupt system files are causing error 0x80070424 to appear. Thus, to fix it, you may try to find and fix all corrupt system files using the System File Checker utility.
To run System File Checker, follow these steps:
- Launch Command Prompt via the search bar or from the Start menu.
- In the command line, input SFC /scannow.
- Press Enter.
- System File Checker should start checking your system for any corrupt files.
Solution 4: Use a Registry Cleaner.
If error code 0x80070424 is triggered by registry problems, then it is advisable to download registry cleaning software or tools like Auslogics Registry Cleaner.
With a quality registry cleaner, any registry issues on your system are detected and resolved in a matter of seconds. Any obsolete, unnecessary, and excess registry files and entries that are affecting your system will also be eliminated, hence restoring your registry back to its best version.
This tool will repair, clean, and optimize your Windows registry to get rid of errors that cause system crashes. It will also restore a smooth and efficient operation, so your Windows computer will perform at its best once again. Find one that best suits your computer’s needs and meets its requirements.
Solution 5: Reset All Windows Update Components.
If error 0x80070424 still exists, you might need to reset all Windows Update components to give them a fresh start.
Here’s how to do it:
- Launch Run via the Start menu or through the search bar.
- Input services.msc in the text field and press Enter.
- Scroll down and locate the Background Intelligent Transfer service. Right-click on it and select Stop.
- Next, scroll down and locate Windows Update. Again, right-click on it and select Stop.
- Close Run and open File Explorer.
- Navigate to C:\\Windows\SoftwareDistribution. Delete all files in this folder.
- Right-click on the Start button and choose Windows PowerShell (Admin) to run the Windows PowerShell as administrator.
- Execute the following commands in PowerShell one at a time:
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
- ren C:\\Windows\Software Distribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- net start msiserver
- Close Windows PowerShell and reboot your computer.
6. Reinstall Windows Firewall.
If it is the Base Filtering Engine Service file that is causing error code 0x80070424, then the best possible way to fix it is to reinstall your Windows Firewall.
Here’s how to reinstall your Windows Firewall:
- Download your preferred Windows Firewall from the official developer’s website. Once you have the file, extract it to your desktop.
- Double-click on the installation file and confirm installation.
- Restart your computer.
- Once your computer has completely restarted, click the Start button and locate the newly installed Windows Firewall in the list of programs. Double-click on it to run it.
- If the Run window opens, input REGEDIT and hit OK. You should now see the newly added field named “everyone.”
- In the permission window, tick the box next to Full Control. Click OK to confirm.
- Close the window and navigate back to the Start menu.
- Input services.msc in the search field to open the service window.
- Right-click on Base Filtering Engine.
- Next, locate Windows Firewall and check if you can now make changes to it. If yes, then error 0x80070424 should be fixed. Otherwise, you need to seek help from a professional Windows technician.
There you have it! These are six feasible solutions we recommend you should try to repair error code 0x80070424. Hopefully, one of them has helped you get rid of the error.
Do you know other ways to fix error 0x80070424? Feel free to share by commenting below.