Executable files instruct your computer how to handle some tasks like opening and closing programs while making sure they run smoothly. Executable processes usually run in the Task Manager and rarely create issues. An example of such executables is rumor.exe.
Unfortunately, cybercriminals can corrupt executable files like rumour.exe. Some security studies have shown that a virus related to Rumor11 can modify the rumor.exe process. Read on for more information about this executable file.
What is Rumor.exe?
Rumor.exe is an executable file that is part of Microsoft Developer Network SDKs for Windows OS. Ordinarily, this executable runs in the Task Manager and rarely causes problems.
Is Rumor.exe a Virus?
Rumor.exe is a valid file that plays an important role in your system. Deleting it from your PC will affect the application that executes it. So, you should remove it only when it is necessary, for instance, if rumor.exe is giving you errors.
The problem usually starts when an executable file like rumor.exe gets replaced by a virus. In this case, rumor.exe will be useless and dangerous.
As touched on earlier, executable files can easily be modified by cybercriminals. Hackers can create a malicious file with the same name as rumour.exe. Such threats usually enter your system through malicious spam emails or fake updates. So, in most cases, users may not understand what happened.
A fake rumor.exe could make changes to your systems, such as modifying the Windows Registry, scheduling new tasks, acquiring administrative rights, or even collecting your valuable information.
How to Tell If Rumor.exe is a Virus?
Users rarely realize that their devices are infected with the rumor.exe virus because such malware may not show obvious signs. Nevertheless, you can check for general symptoms of a virus infection like:
- Slow loading of applications
- Increased CPU usage
- Frequent crashes and BSoD
- Software freezes or crashes
- Unexpected pop-up ads
Due to the infection, you are likely to experience a spike in CPU usage, leading to your hardware heating. In some cases, the virus may create unusual junk files on your hard drive, which can lead to a crash. So, if your computer has displayed any signs of infection connected to rumor.exe, you should get rid of the file immediately.
Sometimes, rumor.exe may also throw in an error message without explaining the exact cause of the problem. Possible error messages include:
- Unable to find rumor.exe. Please try again.
- Error loading rumor.exe. The specified module could not be found.
Rumor.exe errors can be triggered by several reasons. You may receive these error messages because of incorrect installation of applications like MSDN SDKs or the Windows Operating System. Missing or corrupted system files can also trigger such errors. When viruses enter your computer, they may alter your system settings, thus causing the errors.
If your computer has developed signs of infection, but you aren’t sure of the cause, scan your device with a reliable antivirus program. This way, you will be sure that the executable is indeed a virus before you can remove it. The tool will check all the corners of your computer to detect problematic files. If the infection is due to a faulty rumor.exe file, it will quarantine it for removal.
How to Remove Rumor.exe?
Follow the steps below to fix rumor.exe-related issues. If you wish to skip some steps because they are technical or time-consuming, at least scan your PC with an antivirus program or follow our recommended solution in Step 4.
Step 1: Remove Rumor.exe from the Task Manager
- Use the keyboard shortcut CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to launch the Task Manager.
- Navigate to the Processes tab, then review all suspicious processes like rumor.exe.
- Note down their file location by right-clicking on them, and then choosing Open File Location.
- After that, terminate the problematic processes.
Step 2: Uninstall MSDN SDKs
- Type control panel into the search field in the Taskbar, and then hit Enter.
- Choose the Control Panel option from the list of results.
- When the Control Panel opens, choose Programs and Features.
- Search for rumor.exe-related program, then click on the Uninstall/Change button.
- Confirm your selection to uninstall the application.
Step 3: Remove Registry Entries Linked to Rumor.exe
- To open the Registry Editor, use the keyboard shortcut Windows + R, then type regedit into the text box and press Enter.
- Navigate to the following files, then delete rumor.exe files:
- After that, launch the Windows Explorer and go to %appdata%, then delete all suspicious executable files from there.
Step 4: Remove Rumor.exe Automatically
While the above manual rumor.exe removal methods are effective, they can be time-consuming and risky. So, if you are stuck at any moment or you are looking for the fastest and safest way to get rid of problematic files, use a tool like Outbyte PC Repair. It will automate the entire task with a few simple clicks.