Zbuddy.ocx is a legitimate process that belongs to Windows Program Group Converter. It is an executable file that is used to run the Zone Buddy process. Zbuddy.ocx is developed by Zone.com. Because it is not uncommon for cybercriminals to use the names of legitimate software to name their malware, they are able to confuse a lot of people and have them install viruses thinking that they are actually running the proper files.
So, if you are asking is Zbuddy.ocx a virus? The simple answer is that it could be, but to be certain, you have to monitor your computer’s behavior for certain symptoms that are often associated with malware. Here is a list of the most common telltale signs of a malware infection:
- Fluctuations in your internet connection
- Reduced system performance
- CPU overload by the zbuddy.ocx process
- Infection by other malware
- Browser redirects to unknown websites
- Interference from pop-up ads
- Constant crushes
If your computer shows any of these symptoms, then you have the right to be suspicious that the zbuddy.ocx running on your device could be a malware.
To confirm your suspicions about zbuddy.ocx, you will need to use a powerful anti-malware solution such as Outbyte Antivirus. This anti-malware solution will scan your entire device, monitoring the activity of every software. If there is one that acts differently than expected, it will be isolated and removed.
Pro Tip: Run a dedicated PC optimization tool to get rid of incorrect settings, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats that can cause system issues or slow performance.
Can zbuddy.ocx be removed through other ways?
Sure, there are other ways of removing the zbuddy.ocx file that don’t involve using an antivirus program. With the help of a PC repair tool, for instance, you can locate any faulty software on your computer and subsequently remove it. You can also monitor all the processes running on your computer and stop the ones that are problematic.
On the other hand, if the reason that zbuddy.ocx is giving errors is because of broken or missing registry entries, a PC repair tool will repair all of them.
You can also manually remove the zbuddy.ocx process by taking the following steps:
- Press and hold the Ctrl, Alt, and Delete keys on your keyboard.
- From the list of security options that appear on your computer, select Task Manager.
- On the Task Manager, go to the processes tab and look for the Zone Buddy process. Right-click on the process and choose Open file location.
- Once you have confirmed the file location, go back to the Task Manager, but this time right-click on the process and choose End task.
- Go back to the file location and move everything to the Recycle Bin.
Another way to delete files on your computer is by using Control Panel. Here are the steps to take:
- On the Windows search box, type ‘control panel’.
- Select Control Panel from the list of the search results.
- Under Programs, select Uninstall program.
- Find the Zone Buddy software and remove it from your computer.
Another method of removing changes that you may not want on your computer involves using System Restore. System Restore is a windows process that reverts any changes to apps and settings that have taken place after a certain restore point. To use System Restore, there has to be restore points in place to begin with. The following are the steps to take:
- On the Windows search box, type ‘create a restore point”.
- Choose the first result from the search.
- On the System properties app, go to the System protection tab, and click System Restore.
- Choose a restore point from the list of restore points stored on your computer.
- When prompted to Scan for affected programs, make sure that the program that you want to remove is on the list of the affected p If not, choose another restore point.
Using System Restore will allow you to eliminate all problematic apps and settings from your computer.
How to Prevent Malware from Infecting your Computer
Supposing your antivirus program showed that the zbuddy.ocx file was a malware; how do you prevent malware from infecting your computer ever again? Here are a few tips that will keep your device safe from any infection:
1. Always download software from legitimate sources
You might be tempted to use the likes of The Pirate Bay to download software for free, but that is very risky as such software is usually bundled together with malware.
2. Update your computer
Updates provide important cover against any zero-day exploits that may be used by cybercriminals to infiltrate your computer. They also ensure the smooth running of hardware components. The most important updates that you should be on the lookout for are Windows updates.
3. Don’t click on emails and attachments from unfamiliar sources
One of the most common ways that cybercriminals use to spread malware is through phishing campaigns. They will send a wouldbe victim emails that contain malicious attachments and links that once clicked, download the malware onto their computer. That’s why it is important to always verify the authenticity of an email before taking any action.
4. Install a premium anti-malware solution
It goes without saying that you should have an anti-malware solution on your computer at all times. The anti-malware program should also not be one of those free versions because they can only do as much. If you have the money, just buy a premium one, it will save you a lot of trouble in the future.
5. Back up your files
The Windows OS offers a lot of options for avoiding catastrophe in case of a malware infection. Such options include the System Restore process and the OS reset option.
One that you should really be eager about is the ability to save your most important files on a physical hard drive. With this option, even when a nasty malware strikes, you will still have your peace of mind.
That will be all about the zbuddy.ocx process. If you have any questions suggestions or comments, please use the comment section below.