Whenever we surf the web, we are always exposed to thousands of threats. When we visit websites, we see dozens of online ads, most of them come in the form of pop-ups and random on-screen ads. While some display adult content, others show intrusive and annoying messages.
Now, although these ads are common nowadays, most of the time, they are triggered by adware programs like snare.dll. What is it?
Snare.dll is a suspicious file that is associated with the WinSnare virus, an adware program that causes your computer to slow down and interferes with your browsing experience. It has been created with the goal to hijack the computers of unsuspecting victims, using their system resources for malicious operations.
What Does Snare.dll Do?
Once this adware infects your computer, it will use your network connection to connect to a server or other ad networks. And then, it will begin bombarding your computer with loads of advertisements.
Pro Tip: Scan your PC for performance issues, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats
that can cause system issues or slow performance.
These advertisements are not just annoying. They also pose a serious threat to your computer and your privacy. This is because the ads can redirect you to malicious websites that force you to download or install other apps or programs.
Should Snare.dll Be Removed?
Knowing what the snare.dll can do, do you think it should be removed?
you noticed that the snare.dll process is running actively in the Task Manager, make sure you remove it right away, including its components. This way, you can continue using your computer without having to worry about anything.
How to Remove Snare.dll
Here’s how to remove the snare.dll adware:
Step 1: Reboot your computer into Safe Mode
- Press the Windows button and select Power.
- Hold and press the Shift key and choose Restart.
- Click the Troubleshoot option.
- Choose Advanced option.
- Navigate to Start-up Settings.
- You will be presented with various boot options. Choose an option that works for you.
- Windows will then start in Safe Mode.
Step 2: Stop the snare.dll process
- Into the search field, input task manager and hit Enter.
- Navigate to the Processes tab.
- Right-click on any suspicious process.
- Select Open File Location.
- Scan the file using an anti-malware scanner.
- If the process is infected, click End Process.
Step 3: Remove the snare.dll file
- Press the Windows + R keys together to open the Run dialog box.
- Into the text field, input appwiz.cpl and hit OK.
- Look for any suspicious program and uninstall it. Do this by clicking the Uninstall button.
- Close Control Panel.
- Into the search field, input msconfig and hit Enter.
- A window should now pop-up. Navigate to Startup and untick all entries with an unknown manufacturer.
Step 4: Check if your PC has been hacked
- Press the Windows + R keys to launch the Run dialog box.
- Into the text field, input this command: notepad %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/hosts.
- A file will now open. If you are hacked, you will see a list of IPs connected to you.
- Next, open the Start menu and go to Network Connections.
- Right-click on Network Adapter.
- Navigate to Properties and select Internet Protocol Version 4.
- Click Properties.
- Make sure that the DNS line has been set to Obtain DNS server automatically.
- Go to Advanced and navigate to DNS.
- Remove everything here and hit OK.
The snare.dll is a part of the WinSnare adware. This means you have to take it seriously. If you don’t take action, you will be exposed to more threats.
If security and privacy matter to you, you have to make it a habit to regularly clean your system from any suspicious and unnecessary files. We suggest that you use a PC repair tool and an anti-malware program for this.
Have you come across the snare.dll process before? How did you remove it? Let us know below!