Sfc.dll is a file containing essential functions for monitoring system files. Without it, some system processes on your PC won’t work properly.
It is usually located on your PC’s hard drive. It also contains a machine code that once you start Microsoft Windows, all the commands contained in the file will be executed. The file will then be loaded into the RAM and runs as a process.
Like other DLL files on your PC, this file also triggers issues and problems on your PC. Here are some sfc.dll error messages you may come across with:
- The program can’t start because sfc.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
- Error loading sfc.dll. The specified module could not be found.
- There was a problem starting sfc.dll. The specified module could not be found.
- dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.
- The code execution cannot proceed because sfc.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.
Now, with all the potential problems that the file could trigger, should sfc.dll be removed? Well, the answer is no. Again, it is an important system file that plays a vital role in the system processes. This means it should not be removed.
However, there are instances when cybercriminals take advantage of this file and use it to disguise malware entities. They rename the malware components they create into legitimate-looking files, such as sfc.dll, to wreak havoc and steal information from a PC. In this case, it has to be removed.
So, how do you know if the sfc.dll file on your PC is a virus?
Is Sfc.dll a Virus?
At one glance, you can never really tell if the sfc.dll file on your PC is harmful or not. What you can do is run a quick malware scan using an anti-malware tool and let it do the job for you. If it flags the sfc.dll file as malicious, then have it removed right away.
How about if the file is causing the above error messages to show? Is it still safe? Yes, it is still safe. Sometimes, the file may just be corrupted or damaged, hence the error messages. If that is the case, try the troubleshooting methods below.
How to Fix Any Sfc.dll-Related Errors?
Windows has a built-in tool that can be used to fix sfc.dll-related errors. It’s called System Restore. This allows you to restore Windows to a time when the sfc.dll file was not yet damaged.
Here’s how to use System Restore:
- Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Into the text field, input rstrui and hit OK. This will now launch the System Recovery utility.
- In the window that opens, select the Choose a different restore point option. After that, click Next.
- Go through the list of all restore points by check the Show more restore points option.
- Select a date in which you think Windows was still working properly.
- Click Next to continue.
- Complete by clicking Finish.
- At this point, Windows will reboot. Wait for the process to be completed. Once Windows has restarted, the sfc.dll issue should already be fixed.
The sfc.dll file is an important system file, which means it should not be deleted or removed. However, if it’s causing error messages to appear, your best option is to use the built-in recovery tool on your Windows PC: System Restore.
With your PC completely restored, do you think there is much you can do to improve its performance? Of course, there is! You can run a PC repair scan to get rid of any unwanted files lurking on your PC. For this, you can use a reliable PC repair tool.
Have you come across issues with the sfc.dll file? How did you fix them? Share them below.