Riched20.dll is a component of the Rich Text Edit program. It is not a system process, rather it’s a file that comes bundled with the Rich Text Edit program itself. As a DLL file, it serves as a guide with detailed instructions for EXE files to follow. It is sometimes called upon by other programs, too.
What Can Riched20.dll Do?
Again, the riched20.dll is a DLL file that contains machine code. So, once you launch the Rich Edit program on your PC, the instructions contained in the file will be executed. The file will then be loaded into the RAM, where it will be run as a Rich Edit DLL process.
Unfortunately, as with other shared DLL files, the riched20.dll can go missing or get corrupted. As a result, it generates a runtime error message. Some of the common errors associated with the riched20.dll file are as follows:
- Access violation at address – riched20.dll
- Cannot register riched20.dll
- Cannot find C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\riched20.dll
- Riched20.dll could not be found
- Cannot start Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 (64-bit). A required component is missing: riched20.dll. Please install Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 (64-bit) again.
- The file riched20.dll is missing or corrupt.
- The application has failed to start because riched20.dll was not found.
- This application failed to start because riched20.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem.
Should Riched20.dll Be Removed?
With all the error messages that it triggers, we wouldn’t wonder if you’d ask: Is Riched20.dll a virus? Should it be removed?
Pro Tip: Scan your PC for performance issues, junk files, harmful apps, and security threats
that can cause system issues or slow performance.
Well, the riched20.dll is considered a safe process and file. In fact, it is unlikely to cause harm to your device. However, if it is causing any of the error messages above to appear, you can always resolve them by following any of the solutions in the next section.
How to Resolve Riched20.dll Errors
Follow any of the troubleshooting steps below to fix any riched20.dll-related issues:
Solution #1: Use System Restore
You can use System Restore, the built-in troubleshooting tool of your Windows device, to fix your riched20.dll-related error. This will allow you to bring your settings back to a restore point prior to the occurrence of the error.
To use System Restore, simply follow these steps:
- Go to the Start menu.
- Into the text field, enter System Restore.
- Hit Enter.
- Click on the first item in the search results.
- If prompted, provide your admin username and password.
- Follow the instructions of the System Restore Wizard. It will guide you in choosing a relevant restore point.
Solution #2: Reinstall Microsoft Office Professional
There are instances when Microsoft Office Professional messes up with your system files, causing riched20.dll errors to appear. In this case, try reinstalling the software.
- Click the Start button.
- Input uninstall into the search field.
- Hit Enter.
- From the search results, find Add or Remove Programs and click on it.
- Look for the Microsoft Office Professional program and hit Uninstall.
- Follow the onscreen prompts to complete the uninstallation process.
Solution #3: Update Windows
If all else fails, it is worth performing a Windows Update. Some riched20.dll errors are caused by an outdated Windows OS.
To update Windows, follow these steps:
- Go to the Start menu.
- Into the search field, enter update and hit Enter.
- The Windows Update dialog box should now appear.
- Click the Check for Updates button.
- If an update is available, click Install Updates.
- Once the update is completed, restart your PC.
Riched20.dll errors may be common, so don’t panic when you come across an error related to it. What you can do is pull up this article and go through the solutions we have provided. Work your way down the list until you find one that resolves the problem.
To ensure you don’t have a malicious riched20.dll file hiding on your system folders, make it a habit to run a regular PC repair scan using a PC cleaning tool. It also helps to install an antivirus program to keep any malware entities at bay. If you want, you can also have a driver updater tool in handy, just in case errors and problems arise due to an outdated device driver.
Have you encountered a riched20.dll-related error before? How did you fix it? Let us know below!